Hello, there's something that has been bothering me about my acoustic. It's too loud. When I play with a pick, the guitar is way louder than my voice, but I notice other people do not have this problem. I'm not sure what my problem is exactly, so maybe someone can help me out.

My guitar is a Squier Acoustic by Fender
I'm using Elixir Strings (Light or Extra Light, I forgot.)
And I have a Light and Medium picks.

I'd be grateful if anyone could tell me if any of these things might make my guitar sound louder, or if it's just normal for the guitar to sound louder than my voice.

Also, could it be that I'm strumming to hard? I don't think I am.
Last edited by Trobot at Jun 24, 2010,
yes, you are strumming too hard AND you probably need to sing louder, too! Or, you could try using a "soundhole cover" for your guitar. it helps, but it may alter the tone. I dunno.

or you could just buy an electric guitar, and an acoustic simulator pedal, and a Marshall halfstack. then you'll NEVER sing louder than your amp! haha
Last edited by charles_ebarb at Jun 24, 2010,
you may be strumming too loud, but you may be singing to quietly as well. try not using a pick, your fingers will be quieter than a pick. or sing louder, but not to the point you're straining yourself. most acoustics shouldnt get loud enough that you cant be heard over it.
dst127 wrote:
Soundwash22 wrote:
Fred Durst is the Tom Green of music

No, some people actually like Tom Green.

dancesisidance wrote:
Shiroshu wrote:
I can't see Jimi approving of this.

Me neither, due to him not being alive and all.
Thanks for the help.

It must be me strumming to loud. I know I'm not singing too quietly cause I tried to sing louder and was practically yelling, haha.

When I strum with my thumb it's quiet enough for me to sing. I guess I'll try to strum softer, and a very light pick will probably help.
the soundhole cover is a good idea - maybe something like this
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/The-Lute-Hole-Company-4-Soundhole-Cover-for-Feedback-Control?sku=369500

or this

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Planet-Waves-Screaching-Halt-Guitar-Soundhole-Plug?sku=360746&rec=product_B

you could also try strings that are less bright and quieter - and almost everyone on this board knows what i'm about to say try martin silk and steels. they're mellower than most strings, quieter, good sound. also some picks are made of softer material than others, so you might want to try nylon or delrin.
Quote by patticake
the soundhole cover is a good idea - maybe something like this
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/The-Lute-Hole-Company-4-Soundhole-Cover-for-Feedback-Control?sku=369500

or this

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Planet-Waves-Screaching-Halt-Guitar-Soundhole-Plug?sku=360746&rec=product_B

you could also try strings that are less bright and quieter - and almost everyone on this board knows what i'm about to say try martin silk and steels. they're mellower than most strings, quieter, good sound. also some picks are made of softer material than others, so you might want to try nylon or delrin.

Good idea all the way around, bro! when I play acoustics, i ALWAYS prefer a darker tone from the string. I absolutely hate brand new, or excessively bright acoustic strings. *gag*
you could try a different way of plucking the strings. relax your wrist a little bit and almost glide your pick across the strings. i had the same problem until i tried that
Or you can always go with lighter string gauge. Maybe even electric guitar strings, and little truss rod adjustment if needed to compensate for string gauge change, so you will avoid buzzing. That ought to quiet that guitar down a bit.
But definitely work on your right hand technique, that is the permanent solution.
Too loud? Play quieter.

Teaching yourself to play quieter is a skill that all musicians need. Playing loud is easy. Playing quiet while still sounding assertive is hard.

While a soundhole cover will get you results, I find it to also deaden the sound a bit and takes away from the tone.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate
Too loud? Play quieter.

The one and only answer. It's just like any other skill. You'll master it eventually, with practice.
Trobothi dudr. Dunnobif you solved your problem but here are a fee ideas. 1 the do sell a disc thst snugly fits innyour sound hole ( cant remember what its called. May be for a recording. I honesly dont know) rubber or plastic
Loosem your strings and stuff stuff inside GENTLY. Mind the wires.,a tee shirt. Make it block the hole
3 if your cafty. Yace a piece of foam and cut to a larger circle than sound hole. CAREFULLY CUT A GROOVE AROUND EDGR a then slot this edge grove around soundhole.
Just some ideas.
Good luck
This thread is 7 years old...and spellcheck is your friend.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!