Page 1 of 2
Okay, so i need an amp that i could use for covers/ practice (meaning flexibility) and gigs but i also need it to be able to get distorted without losing it's tone or muddying up anything too bad. so here are the specs im looking for:

Basics:

Budget: $150-350+ (i can only go a little over price)

Style of Music: Ranging from blues to classical to grunge to death metal

REQUIREMENTS

- distortion that can both have a good blues type playing and a very distorted setting that could be used for metal

- good high end for solos

- clarity!

-DURABILITY. this will be my SOLE amp for a while, so if it breaks im back to acoustic

-volume! enough to play a gig, ranging from small to medium

other things i need it to have:

- A good clean channel. i may be using this for a mic speaker in the near future

-decent bottom end. if the amp gets pricey i may have to sell my bass amp, using this as a replacement at low end with low volumes.

- a few bonus effects to play around with

BONUSES! (Not needed, but greatly appreciated if the amp has it):

-dual input jacks and dual channels (one clean, one distorted)

-an output jack that could be use for a cab

-a recording program built-in

-onboard tuner

- the louder the better

P.S. Please suggest several, as i will be testing these at my local guitar center

Thank You, ask any questions you feel are needed
Quote by littlephil
Peavey Vypyr?

+1. TS, I'd suggest saving up a little longer and getting yourself something really nice with tubes. $350 isn't gonna get you to far.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
hmmm, maybe. i strongly prefer fender and crate, as my last amp was a peavey and did not sound very good. also, i despise peavey interfaces. if i could grow used to it, then this could be a possibility. these were the two amps i was considering

The Below's Pros and Cons

+ Loud as ****

+Fender

+Many FX

+2x12 ( my fav. arrangement)

+ may have an output

+ good cleans

- apparently it's not good distorted

- it barely gets distorted

-some people report failure

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-FM-212DSP-100-Watt-2x12--Frontman-Combo-Amp-with-DSP-Effects-483720-i1539454.gc

and a Crate Flexwave 65w which apparently has vanished from guitar center's website

+decent volume

+crate tone

+many fx's

- not sure if they still sell them
Quote by SLonergan
+1. TS, I'd suggest saving up a little longer and getting yourself something really nice with tubes. $350 isn't gonna get you to far.

tubes are nice, but anything good with tubes will cost 500+ and ive been growing impatient with this since christmas. i wont be able to save up enough the money by the time i need it. the peavey is looking like a serious idea though. i just dont like digital effects very much
lol at anyone having a preference for crate

[/shameless bashing of crate]

truth be told, you might as well just save up more money. Consider this, you can blow that $350, but you're going to want to replace it and you will want to replace it soon. Guitarists are never happier with their tone and once you get a new piece of gear, you just keep looking at what you want next, and the shittier the piece of gear you just bought is, the quicker you're going to want to get rid of it. Don't buy either of those.
Quote by phlip999
Can you go used?

only if i know the last owner or had some sort of warranty
Thats alot to ask for the price range, but check out vox vt series a 50 watt would do for what u need, if you want full tube best bet would be bugera but be aware they have alot of reliability issues.
The vox probly wont do death metal without a od though
Quote by al112987
lol at anyone having a preference for crate

[/shameless bashing of crate]

truth be told, you might as well just save up more money. Consider this, you can blow that $350, but you're going to want to replace it and you will want to replace it soon. Guitarists are never happier with their tone and once you get a new piece of gear, you just keep looking at what you want next, and the shittier the piece of gear you just bought is, the quicker you're going to want to get rid of it. Don't buy either of those.

yeah, yeah, i know guitarists are too picky and constantly evolving, but im on a low income and would much prefer to buy in this price range rather than buying one big amp and never thinking anything could live up to it. I most likely wont be able to buy a new amp for a whole year. and thats if i want to save up. i mainly get big money whenever its my birthday or christmas, and the former is coming up soon, thats why i went from 200$ to 350$, so im glad to just get a professional sounding amp and not being conservative with my cash anymore.

also, a friendly screw you, crates can get pretty good. their tone beats most brands ive heard.
Used Line6 Flextone III. Can be picked up for 300. Beats the Voxes at metal, beats the Vypyr at anything.

EDIT: ^While there's nothing wrong with inherently with Crate amps, the Flexwave is just garbage, and so is the Fender Frontman.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Jun 24, 2010,
Quote by slipknot_420
Thats alot to ask for the price range, but check out vox vt series a 50 watt would do for what u need, if you want full tube best bet would be bugera but be aware they have alot of reliability issues.
The vox probly wont do death metal without a od though

the vox you recommended seems pretty good, but i see that it has lot of emulation technology, which i DESPISE because i hate hearing a band that just imitates ozzy or van halen or a hardcore band that sounds exactly like august burns red ( which i heard and laughed my balls off) so im going to have to say no to that, even if i could supertweak it. especially since it's lacking in many areas that the peavey and fender gain in. also, im not a big fan of vox-es? ( is that plural for it???) they sound too alike to a line 6 but without the heavy sound

thanks anyway, i appreciate the suggestion
i think you're missing the point. buying a modeler will have models for amps, not artists.

so... it'd be like having an imitation Fender or Marshall or Mesa/Boogie all in one box. That's not imitating an artist anymore than if you just bought a Marshall.

and fwiw, a proper Vox (which you'll never find in this price range), sounds nothing like a Line 6. Peavey Vypyrs are closer to Line 6 amps than any Vox is. Line 6 amps don't even sound like "anything" they're modelers. Their entire point is to sound like OTHER amps...
Last edited by al112987 at Jun 24, 2010,
Quote by TheQuailman
Used Line6 Flextone III. Can be picked up for 300. Beats the Voxes at metal, beats the Vypyr at anything.

EDIT: ^While there's nothing wrong with inherently with Crate amps, the Flexwave is just garbage, and so is the Fender Frontman.

beter than the peavey, but i'd have to compare the two in-store. the problem i still have is getting an original sound to come out of it. im tired of playing slipknot' tone, or cobain's tone, or clean jazz with reverb, i want to be able to adjust it to my own specifications without having to scrap all of the effects. i guess if i start stocking up on pedals i might be able to create a good tone. but i guess for a starter gig amp, this will do fine. improvements can be made, let's keep those suggestions coming in!
Quote by al112987
i think you're missing the point. buying a modeler will have models for amps, not artists.

so... it'd be like having an imitation Fender or Marshall or Mesa/Boogie all in one box. That's not imitating an artist anymore than if you just bought a Marshall.

and fwiw, a proper Vox (which you'll never find in this price range), sounds nothing like a Line 6. Peavey Vypyrs are closer to Line 6 amps than any Vox is. Line 6 amps don't even sound like "anything" they're modelers. Their entire point is to sound like OTHER amps...

oh shit, ya got me. i just read through the summary and it throws up al these names of artists and i get pissed. though ive tried it instore and i never really liked the metal and insane
Quote by taustin11
the vox you recommended seems pretty good, but i see that it has lot of emulation technology, which i DESPISE because i hate hearing a band that just imitates ozzy or van halen or a hardcore band that sounds exactly like august burns red ( which i heard and laughed my balls off) so im going to have to say no to that, even if i could supertweak it. especially since it's lacking in many areas that the peavey and fender gain in. also, im not a big fan of vox-es? ( is that plural for it???) they sound too alike to a line 6 but without the heavy sound

thanks anyway, i appreciate the suggestion

The Vox, like any modeler, does indeed emulate the tones of other amps to gain versatility (which is exactly what you asked for). Guess what, so does the Flexwave. The Fender Frontman is Fender's way to try to achieve the slightly ominous classic Fender-tone with a cheap solid state amp. That's a form of emulation, too, albeit analogue instead of digital.

And don't worry about an amp sounding too much like some other amp, or giving you ONLY the tone of a particular band. If anything, a modeller will give you the possibility to avoid this by being so versatile.

Also, you're thinking in terms of brands, which is dangerous. Most brands make stuff from cheap beginner crap to professional equipment, so you can't say "this brand sucks" or "that brand is good". Generalising here is simply wrong.
Quote by TheQuailman

I disagree. I will hate on Crate until the sun burns out.
Quote by TheQuailman
The Vox, like any modeler, does indeed emulate the tones of other amps to gain versatility (which is exactly what you asked for). Guess what, so does the Flexwave. The Fender Frontman is Fender's way to try to achieve the slightly ominous classic Fender-tone with a cheap solid state amp. That's a form of emulation, too, albeit analogue instead of digital.

And don't worry about an amp sounding too much like some other amp, or giving you ONLY the tone of a particular band. If anything, a modeller will give you the possibility to avoid this by being so versatile.

Also, you're thinking in terms of brands, which is dangerous. Most brands make stuff from cheap beginner crap to professional equipment, so you can't say "this brand sucks" or "that brand is good". Generalising here is simply wrong.

damn. im about to cry. just kidding.

that was some damn good advice, i had been pretty simpleminded about my emu-phobia. i guess ill be checking out line-6's and voxes (IS IT PLURAL, **** IF I KNOW) more often. thanks quailman, i needed that wakeup call.

also on the brands thing, i just dont like some's tone. it may be suitable for other people, and sounds good to me, but usualy arent the right sound for me. i didnt mean for it to come out as a bash against brands.
Quote by al112987

my good sir, we will have to agree to disagree.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jet-City-Amplification-JCA2112RC-20W-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-583601-i1475978.gc

That's $400, and is a tube amp. I don't think it has an FX loop though.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
^That actually is a very nice amp and even loud enough for small gigs (tube amps get pretty loud). But it won't get you the versatility you want, unless you had a couple bucks more for pedals.

Line6 is really nice except for their entry-level stuff.

If you don't like an amp, that's fair enough, it's just that I wouldn't judge an entire brand after having played just one of their models.

(And yeah, I think "Voxes" is right.)

Quote by al112987

Lol.
I'd get the Jet City combo.

I'm a snob and even I bit the bullet on a Jet City.
okay, i looked at it again and saw only 70w mx, which is decent, but it's a brand ive rarely heard of. it does look nice though, but i still dont trust it. also, i live in sacramento, which most likely wont carry it, so even if i tried to go test it out, and bought the extra pedals, they wouldnt have it. it seems nice, but better for a more "gear-having" guitarist and not suitable for a "not having diddly squat" guitarist. also, its out of my price range.
holy balls, you don't trust a jet city because its a brand you've never heard of, but you'd trust Crate? dude, it's $50 more. Save up your lunch money for a week.

and it's 20 watts. not 70 watts. judging from your posts, i can already tell that 20 watts is enough for you. and yes, i assure you that somewhere in sacramento, they will have this amp. it would surprise me very much if sacramento did not have a single guitar center seeing that they're essentially like wal-marts now.
Quote by al112987
holy balls, you don't trust a jet city because its a brand you've never heard of, but you'd trust Crate? dude, it's $50 more. Save up your lunch money for a week.

and it's 20 watts. not 70 watts. judging from your posts, i can already tell that 20 watts is enough for you. and yes, i assure you that somewhere in sacramento, they will have this amp. it would surprise me very much if sacramento did not have a single guitar center seeing that they're essentially like wal-marts now.

20w? no offense but no thank you.

if it could get loud enough to what i want, it stil has no effects, and ALL of my possible money would be blown. btw, my money may not make it to even 350, so a 400 dollar would be out of the question. in a best case scenario (which would be very unlikely, i'd get 450$ MAX, 360 minimum.)

and we have a guitar center here, plus the one in roseville like 2 miles away. i checked, both ones need a special order for it and i hate paying shipping on something i might not like. also, doesnt have any FX, so the best scenario would be that it would distort at high volumes. unless you could recommend some cheap but awesome sounding pedals, this is a no-buy for me.
^ edits
Last edited by taustin11 at Jun 24, 2010,
Um, it IS a tube amp. It's based on the Soldano astroverb, and designed by Mike Soldano.

And I assure you, Mike Soldano is more legitimate than any fool in Crate's R+D (who are too busy making 600 watt amps instead of amps that don't like two dying cats having misogynist sex). And unlike the Crate and Fender. It doesn't sound like shit.

It distorts at any volume... that's what the gain knob is for...
Last edited by al112987 at Jun 24, 2010,
Quote by taustin11
okay, i looked at it again and saw only 70w mx, which is decent, but it's a brand ive rarely heard of. it does look nice though, but i still dont trust it. also, i live in sacramento, which most likely wont carry it, so even if i tried to go test it out, and bought the extra pedals, they wouldnt have it. it seems nice, but better for a more "gear-having" guitarist and not suitable for a "not having diddly squat" guitarist. also, its out of my price range.

The brand's new, I think their stuff wasn't even available in '09. They gained popularity quickly though. If it's worth anything, the guy who designs these things is Mike Soldano.

It's not 70w though, that's what the speaker can handle tops. The amp itself only outputs 20w. But that's not a problem at all, since tube amps are very very loud compared to solid state amps (like a Frontman, Flexwave and modellers in general). I used to own a few 5w tube amps, each was easily loud enough to play with a drummer. My current 50w amp is so loud I can't turn the volume higher than 1 in the house or the windows start shaking.

20w of tube is easily enough for small gigs and you'll be mic'd at larger venues anyway, so volume is not an issue. Large amps were only really necessary back in the day when people played without PA systems, nowadays you just pick an amp you like the tone of and let the PA give you the gigging volume.

Not saying you have to buy that amp, since it's out of your budget and from what I gather won't give you enough versatility without at least a boost and a couple of effects pedals, but it's a nice amp anyway.

EDIT: I see I'm late again.
Quote by al112987
Um, it IS a tube amp. It's based on the Soldano astroverb, and designed by Mike Soldano.

And I assure you, Mike Soldano is more legitimate than any fool on Crate's design team. And unlike the Crate and Fender. It doesn't sound like shit.

It distorts at any volume... that's what the gain knob is for...

damn, everytime you speak i get a little more convinced. but it's still not very good for my situation. if it had a price drop anytime soon, or a long-lost aunt sent me some money i'd consider it, but at the moment i cant really see myself buying it.
If you're not willing to go used you're not gonna get anything really good in your budget, OP, sorry.

Your best options are the Vypyr Tube 60, the Flextone, and maybe the Jet City with some pedals... I'd also look at the Egnater Tweaker with pedals.

Some other amps you might look at, but again, have to go used on, would be the Ampeg VH140c and SS140c, Peavey XXX, Peavey Ultra, the Crate Vintage Club amps or the GX-130c.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by TheQuailman
The brand's new, I think their stuff wasn't even available in '09. They gained popularity quickly though. If it's worth anything, the guy who designs these things is Mike Soldano.

It's not 70w though, that's what the speaker can handle tops. The amp itself only outputs 20w. But that's not a problem at all, since tube amps are very very loud compared to solid state amps (like a Frontman, Flexwave and modellers in general). I used to own a few 5w tube amps, each was easily loud enough to play with a drummer. My current 50w amp is so loud I can't turn the volume higher than 1 in the house or the windows start shaking.

20w of tube is easily enough for small gigs and you'll be mic'd at larger venues anyway, so volume is not an issue. Large amps were only really necessary back in the day when people played without PA systems, nowadays you just pick an amp you like the tone of and let the PA give you the gigging volume.

Not saying you have to buy that amp, since it's out of your budget and from what I gather won't give you enough versatility without at least a boost and a couple of effects pedals, but it's a nice amp anyway.

that's what im considering. i guess if you guys could suggest a few effects pedals or a multifx that wont ruin the tone of this, i'd buy it. but i swear if this thing beaks down because one of the people who hand makes these things is a dipshit, im gona be pissed. that wont be a problem though, will it?
Quote by Raijouta
If you're not willing to go used you're not gonna get anything really good in your budget, OP, sorry.

Your best options are the Vypyr Tube 60, the Flextone, and maybe the Jet City with some pedals... I'd also look at the Egnater Tweaker with pedals.

Some other amps you might look at, but again, have to go used on, would be the Ampeg VH140c and SS140c, Peavey XXX, Peavey Ultra, the Crate Vintage Club amps or the GX-130c.
I doubt any of those can be found in the OP's budget. The vintage club is a solid amp though, no idea why they discontinued it.
Quote by al112987
I doubt any of those can be found in the OP's budget. The vintage club is a solid amp though, no idea why they discontinued it.

what happened to crate hate?

also, the only pedals i know i like are the big muff and my friend's boss autowah that he'd sell to me for 10$. help please?
Last edited by taustin11 at Jun 24, 2010,
Quote by taustin11
that's what im considering. i guess if you guys could suggest a few effects pedals or a multifx that wont ruin the tone of this, i'd buy it. but i swear if this thing beaks down because one of the people who hand makes these things is a dipshit, im gona be pissed. that wont be a problem though, will it?

Well, first thing to get along with it would be a booster/overdrive pedal to boost the amp for metal. A Digitech Bad Monkey or Boss SD1 would do that and are $50 each, but can be found for half of that or even less on craigslist. Don't worry, buying pedals used is pretty safe, they hardly ever break.

As to effects, some modulation stuff like a flanger and a chorus are nice to make cleans sound more interesting, but there's so much stuff it's hard to recommend anything unless we know your exact needs.

EDIT: Wah is also a pretty standarad thing most people use.
The Vintage Club series sounded pretty good and were relatively cheap. I used one as a house amplifier several years ago during a gig. That's about all I can say positive about Crate.
Quote by taustin11
what happened to crate hate?

also, the only pedals i know i like are the big muff and my friend's boss autowah that he'd sell to me for 10$. help please?

You probably won't need a big muff with the JCA, as it has a nice drive tone already. It's cool to have a distortion pedal to add some variation, but it's not needed. You can get one later of course, but I wouldn't worry about it for now.

An autowah for $10 is a good deal, even if it's not too great (no idea how good the boss one is).
If you don't know what pedals you want yet, don't worry about it. Try out some at guitar center, they'll have some on display. You can also post youtube clips you like the sound of and we can tell you what effects were used.
Quote by TheQuailman
Well, first thing to get along with it would be a booster/overdrive pedal to boost the amp for metal. A Digitech Bad Monkey or Boss SD1 would do that and are $50 each, but can be found for half of that or even less on craigslist. Don't worry, buying pedals used is pretty safe, they hardly ever break.

As to effects, some modulation stuff like a flanger and a chorus are nice to make cleans sound more interesting, but there's so much stuff it's hard to recommend anything unless we know your exact needs.

EDIT: Wah is also a pretty standarad thing most people use.

thanks, most friends i know dont really like using pedals, so i've kind of grown up with pedal fear. i always liked them, but never bought one because they seem too simple to be useful. im considering an MXR M-133 micro-amp (in case the amp isnt loud enough) [http://www.guitarcenter.com/MXR-M-133-Micro-Amp-Pedal-100058064-i1124435.gc ] but ill look up a the boss and bad monkey.

also, the autowah he has isnt that great, so auto-wah suggestions are open.
Quote by TheQuailman
You probably won't need a big muff with the JCA, as it has a nice drive tone already. It's cool to have a distortion pedal to add some variation, but it's not needed. You can get one later of course, but I wouldn't worry about it for now.

An autowah for $10 is a good deal, even if it's not too great (no idea how good the boss one is).
If you don't know what pedals you want yet, don't worry about it. Try out some at guitar center, they'll have some on display. You can also post youtube clips you like the sound of and we can tell you what effects were used.

yeah, i was considering it in case the JC didnt have enough heavy end. ill buy the autowah for sure, but i think ill upgrade eventually.

i was thinking i would buy the pedals in this order:

MXR booster

Autowah

some sort of EQ (im very fussy on eq levels)

then the rest i dont really know what i'd buy. chorus and delay seem like good choices, but flanger-like things piss me off since you rarely use them.
The M-133 won't really add to the maximum volume. When pushed hard, an amp will start generating distortion and the more it distorts, the less of a volume increase you'll notice. If you have an amp going full tilt, a boost like the M-133 will only add distortion, not volume.
But that's supposed to be that way. You rarely have the opportunity to crank a tube amp anyway. You crank it's preamp to get distortion, while the power amp (master volume) is usually set to a relatively low level. You use a booster to get even more distortion out of the preamp, while the power amp will be unaffected.
I've never seen that MXR before, but I'd rather have a classical overdrive pedal like the Boss or Digitech, since they not only boost, but also have a couple knobs to shape your tone a bit more.
Quote by TheQuailman
The M-133 won't really add to the maximum volume. When pushed hard, an amp will start generating distortion and the more it distorts, the less of a volume increase you'll notice. If you have an amp going full tilt, a boost like the M-133 will only add distortion, not volume.
But that's supposed to be that way. You rarely have the opportunity to crank a tube amp anyway. You crank it's preamp to get distortion, while the power amp (master volume) is usually set to a relatively low level. You use a booster to get even more distortion out of the preamp, while the power amp will be unaffected.
I've never seen that MXR before, but I'd rather have a classical overdrive pedal like the Boss or Digitech, since they not only boost, but also have a couple knobs to shape your tone a bit more.

k, i wasnt sure if the booster would work that well anyways.

what pedals do you use most often?
Page 1 of 2