Page 1 of 2
She's hardly Emma Goldman and was behind Ruddy on all his betrayals to what he said he'd do - so same horse different jockey?

IMO - yes. Go Bob!
I'm not sure I understand what all the fuss is about, but I believe that changing the PM is not going to change the party
In Australia we vote for a party not an individual.

So it doesn't make a difference who it is.

People need to learn their civics and citizenship.
Good Charlotte sounds like...uh...they sound like...um...well, they taste like a popsicle stick thats been shoved up someones ass -Eddie Vedder

REMEMBER DISCO: All stupid fads go away with time. STOP COMPLAINING
Labour Party is crap, but they're better than the Liberal Party for sure.

Although it may be a different playing field soon, in 2-4 elections i reckon the Greens would have enough popularity to be a legitimate candidate.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by TOMMYB22

Although it may be a different playing field soon, in 2-4 elections i reckon the Greens would have enough popularity to be a legitimate candidate.

Protip: Learn to spell the name of a party before you criticise it. Btw, Greens are really unlikely to get anywhere that soon. They get enough votes for Senate seats but are unlikely to get many House of Reps ones for a long while.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
Holy Crap.

I love you more than life itself.
It's still the labor party, so the country is still going backwards. We need to get some other guys in power. I don't really care who.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
I was watching it all last night on SKY, and it was pretty obvious Rudd was gone, it would have been more trouble if he stayed. I liked his speech last night.. I think it's pretty stupid if there is a new leader but all the policies will be the same.. Should be interesting.

I don't get why everyone is at him for the ETS, it was blocked 3 times?? Asylum seekers, if Gillard isn't going to go down the left road what is she going to do? Nothing..

Can someone explain the Tax on mining? Rudd never made it clear fr me..
Exactly. Whoever the head of the party is isn't going to change that much of a difference. The ship may be steered in a different direction, but it's going to basically the same destination.
Quote by fretsonfire74
Exactly. Whoever the head of the party is isn't going to change that much of a difference. The ship may be steered in a different direction, but it's going to basically the same destination.

Right.. "We have a female Premier, a female Governor General, and now a female PM."

And because of that, we are rescued apparently... I like Gillard, but i preferred Rudd. **** what others say, bitches!

Na good luck to her.
Great, so now the prime minister is both a redhead and a woman. We are soooo fucked.

nahh I'm joking, we were already screwed in the first place. and I hate all forms of government so it doesn't really matter to me
Quote by jibran
I go to the pit only to just look at your creepy perverted username.

My Tumblr
Quote by ShallowEndings
I don't get why everyone is at him for the ETS, it was blocked 3 times?? Asylum seekers, if Gillard isn't going to go down the left road what is she going to do? Nothing..

On the issue of the ETS, he had the option of the double dissolution. If it was really the great moral challenge of our time, he could have called it. If he had called it at that time it's very likely he would have won and would probably still be leader.
EDIT: And the mining tax is more or less putting a tax upon profits over a certain threshold. Obviously the mining companies aren't going to like that, but I guess it really comes down to the rate they are taxed and the threshold at which the tax kicks in. Gillard has agreed to negotiate and has pulled the governments ads and called on the miners to do the same. BHP have agreed. It will be interesting to see what happens. IMO, if she can fix up the mining (and some of the government's other smaller problems), she'll smash Abbott and even if she doesn't, she'll probably win anyway.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
Holy Crap.

Last edited by catempire at Jun 24, 2010,
Quote by TOMMYB22

Think again mate, how many 40-80+ year olds, that you know, want to legalise LSD?
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

Quote by catempire
On the issue of the ETS, he had the option of the double dissolution. If it was really the great moral challenge of our time, he could have called it. If he had called it at that time it's very likely he would have won and would probably still be leader.

EDIT: And the mining tax is more or less putting a tax upon profits over a certain threshold. Obviously the mining companies aren't going to like that, but I guess it really comes down to the rate they are taxed and the threshold at which the tax kicks in. Gillard has agreed to negotiate and has pulled the governments ads and called on the miners to do the same. BHP have agreed. It will be interesting to see what happens. IMO, if she can fix up the mining (and some of the government's other smaller problems), she'll smash Abbott and even if she doesn't, she'll probably win anyway.

So do you know why he didn't call it?

Ah makes sense, it's not a bad idea than huh? So for every million the company gets, they pay back such and such? I don't see a problem with that anyway, not like they are poor, and we have a heap of resources so it's not like it's anything to cry over like they have done, those mining ads are annoying.. "You take away mining, you ruin the country." Bitch they're ruining the country. Maybe i'm viewing it wrong?

Honestly in a way, the competition isn't better so hmm.. Abbot will lick the boots of the mining companies if he got in anyway.. I was surprised that he kept quiet today in parliament..
The mining companies have made it very obvious that if this tax went through, they'd take it out on their workers (rather than skimming some of the million-dollar-plus golden handshakes of their bosses) through their fear-mongering advertising - which focuses on just that. If Ruddy could have ensured they'd paid the taxes without sacking/lowering wages for their workers then it'd be interesting to see.

However, the Miners Union were for the tax because they were assured it would be spent on infrastructure and communities, meaning the average worker (who kept his job) would be better off.

My vote goes to the closest party that represents where I am on the political compass (http://politicalcompass.org/aus2010).
It'll be interesting to see what happens over the next few weeks, because I think the massive slide in the opinion polls was everyone reacting negatively to Rudd as opposed to positively to Abbot.
I think it was in Labour's best interest to change leaders though considering the way the opinion polls just suddenly bottomed out on them, if Rudd was still leader at the next election they probably would've been voted out. It is a bit strange though that the backlash over one extremely unpopular tax can ultimately result in the prime minister being replaced...

Quote by theAccursed
The mining companies have made it very obvious that if this tax went through, they'd take it out on their workers (rather than skimming some of the million-dollar-plus golden handshakes of their bosses) through their fear-mongering advertising - which focuses on just that. If Ruddy could have ensured they'd paid the taxes without sacking/lowering wages for their workers then it'd be interesting to see.

Ah, dirty little bastards. Wish the pressure was there to get ahead with other energy sources..

I drove down to Katoomba last month, i'll tell you a story. We drove down through Lithgow (If you've heard of it) and pretty much all the hills, the ground and all the rest were just cleared.. I mean it's good for the jobs and all yeah, but to clear out huge areas is to me absurd..

When i was a kid there were trees and such everywhere, now it's like a flat property with machinery in it.
Quote by ShallowEndings
So do you know why he didn't call it?

Ah makes sense, it's not a bad idea than huh? So for every million the company gets, they pay back such and such? I don't see a problem with that anyway, not like they are poor, and we have a heap of resources so it's not like it's anything to cry over like they have done, those mining ads are annoying.. "You take away mining, you ruin the country." Bitch they're ruining the country. Maybe i'm viewing it wrong?

Honestly in a way, the competition isn't better so hmm.. Abbot will lick the boots of the mining companies if he got in anyway.. I was surprised that he kept quiet today in parliament..

I don't know why he didn't call it. Maybe they didn't feel as strongly about the policy as they did before, especially after Copenhagen. He must have taken a massive credibility hit after it though, especially since Turnbull put his job on the line over the same policy.

For the mining tax, it's more like, for every million over x% profit, they pay x% tax. It's basically the way the petroleum resources rent tax works. The difference is that the threshold for that tax is a fair bit higher than what the government is proposing. The miners are claiming that the current proposal is so low that mining expansion will be too risky if they are taxed after they achieve (what they consider) a relatively low profit. That's my understanding of it anyway. I do like the idea of getting the most out of our finite resources though because once we have dug it all up the opportunity is gone. It's hard to tell what level of tax is appropriate though. I guess that's the problem that Gillard is going to have to work out.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
Holy Crap.

Quote by catempire
Explanation

Well thanks. So it really has been blown out of proportion by the companies? No surprise.

Does anyone think that a PM shouldn't be kicked out like this? I think it's a bit rough, not to be on Rudd's side.. But i mean how this has happened i think is just bullshit.. I think it was nice of him to step aside and not be embarrassed, but i just don't like this.

On the news now it's all "Oh it's better because she is a female, she understands more than Rudd.."
Ffs the bloody ranga.
Australias new problems:
1. Run by a woman
2. Woman is out of the kitchen
3. The woman is a ranga
4. The womans rank.

we're gonna fail
lol:
Quote by Metallizach
your not alone. I am a chronic procrasturbator (meaning I put off things I should be doing, and fill that time masturbating)

DAVID GILMOUR IS GOD
Last edited by Manualx at Jun 24, 2010,
Quote by ShallowEndings
Does anyone think that a PM shouldn't be kicked out like this? I think it's a bit rough, not to be on Rudd's side.. But i mean how this has happened i think is just bullshit.. I think it was nice of him to step aside and not be embarrassed, but i just don't like this.

On the news now it's all "Oh it's better because she is a female, she understands more than Rudd.."

Yeah I think the whole mining tax thing has been very sensationalised, but I think there was more to the leadership challenge than just that. The investigations Rudd had into his ministers would have had a massive impact on the internal backlash, particularly to Gillard herself. I mean two days ago she was still sticking by him, but when it came out yesterday that he was investigating her (ie didn't fully trust her), that's what prompted her to challenge him.

Quote by pangui
Yeah I think the whole mining tax thing has been very sensationalised, but I think there was more to the leadership challenge than just that. The investigations Rudd had into his ministers would have had a massive impact on the internal backlash, particularly to Gillard herself. I mean two days ago she was still sticking by him, but when it came out yesterday that he was investigating her (ie didn't fully trust her), that's what prompted her to challenge him.

Oh, i heard that on the news last night but no one else reported it so i thought it was just a lie. Was that also to do with the report that he was counting heads?
Quote by ShallowEndings
Oh, i heard that on the news last night but no one else reported it so i thought it was just a lie. Was that also to do with the report that he was counting heads?

Yeah I think so, apparently he was having a number of his ministers investigated to see if they were secretly backing a leadership challenge. It's pretty ironic that the investigation was the thing that made them, or at least Gillard, back the challenge.

Tony Abbott pisses me off to no end. Also, with the public saying that Kevin Rudd wasn't doing anything while in power, how the **** was he supposed to do anything when Abbott just rejected everything he said?

Anyway, good luck to Gillard About time we got a female PM.

There's blood in the water
Sinking, always sinking

Guess it all fits together perfectly.. I probably would have done the same if i were in her shoes.

So on policies, what's going to happen regarding her being put in the spotlight? Things like:

Obviously,
- The Mining Tax
- The ETS
- Asylum Seekers
- Whaling
- War
- Would she have the final say on Censorship? If so, what do you think would happen with that.
What is this I dont even
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by ShallowEndings
Guess it all fits together perfectly.. I probably would have done the same if i were in her shoes.

So on policies, what's going to happen regarding her being put in the spotlight? Things like:

Obviously,
- The Mining Tax
- The ETS
- Asylum Seekers
- Whaling
- War
- Would she have the final say on Censorship? If so, what do you think would happen with that.

Well, with censorship at least, she probably won't put it through in this term (it's too risky, something like 80% of Australian public desagreed with it). I'd say she's going to take it easy until the election and also take back the mining tax, and if/when she is elected into a new term, then she'll start taking action.

There's blood in the water
Sinking, always sinking

Until we have R18+ games and drugs (or at the very least, marijuana) legalized/decriminalized, then they could put a donkey in head office and I still wouldn't give a fuck.

I don't know how majority of politicians justify their pay checks and benefits.

In a perfect world, Bill Hicks would be resurrected to become the first President of the World.
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
Quote by qwerty_555
Tony Abbott pisses me off to no end. Also, with the public saying that Kevin Rudd wasn't doing anything while in power, how the **** was he supposed to do anything when Abbott just rejected everything he said?

I know right.

EDIT@qwerty: ^ Yeah i guess that could make sense..
EDIT2: I just realised your name is all together on the keyboard.. QWERTY
Last edited by ShallowEndings at Jun 24, 2010,
Quote by sebastian_96
Until we have R18+ games and drugs (or at the very least, marijuana) legalized/decriminalized, then they could put a donkey in head office and I still wouldn't give a fuck.

Right, because your access to uncensored games and weed is more important than anything else. While I agree with both of those things, neither are really important. The R18+ thing is barely a reform, just a change in classification guidelines. None of the stoners I know seem to have much problem working with current arrangements either. Politicians pay isn't that high either really given the level of responsibility and private sector wages.

It's hard to say what policy changes will occur. She is already putting in an effort to negotiate over the mining tax. Maybe they will reach a compromise for a system similar to the petroleum... tax. Whaling they are already working on, but I don't know if it's really a big election issue. On war, I think we are unlikely to see any change. The ETS may get some kind of timetable for action after the election (which won't be too far away) just so that it can be seen that something is happening. Asylum seekers, who knows? I don't know what will happen with the censorship either, probably not much. Hopefully it just dies.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
Holy Crap.

Quote by catempire
Protip: Learn to spell the name of a party before you criticise it. Btw, Greens are really unlikely to get anywhere that soon. They get enough votes for Senate seats but are unlikely to get many House of Reps ones for a long while.

I didn't spell anything wrong man.

I didn't mean immediately but after the time of a few federal elections they could very well have the numbers. The Greens party has been growing a lot recently in potential voters, especially since its been made clear that neither of the big parties will take effective action on environmental issues.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
^ Yeah, you did. ALP = Australian Labor Party.
The Greens would need a WAY higher vote to get many seats outside the Senate.
EDIT: Plus you underestimate how many people either don't believe in climate change, believe that The Greens are crazy communists, believe that the major parties are doing a good enough job or just don't give a ****.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
Holy Crap.

I guess I agree with the decision. I've always liked Kev, but he really didn't deliver.

HOWEVER... I don't think she's gonna do as well as she'd have us believe. Just gives off a bad vibe to me, much like that of John Howard.
Quote by necrosis1193
John Entwistle once in a while. I had to try to find him when I saw The Who two years ago.

Quote by sticksause
butthose bagpipes sound awesome.
Quote by catempire
Whaling they are already working on, but I don't know if it's really a big election issue.

I think it is

I just got the feeling of all talk and no action.. Have you seen tv shows on Asians? They literally eat anything, anything.. It's a delicacy to have snake killed and cooked in front of you. And drink the blood!

I doubt the Greens will get support for another 5-10 years if that.
The Greens never get much support, hence why they're never a serious contender.
Quote by necrosis1193
John Entwistle once in a while. I had to try to find him when I saw The Who two years ago.

Quote by sticksause
butthose bagpipes sound awesome.
Quote by catempire
^ Yeah, you did. ALP = Australian Labor Party.

The Greens would need a WAY higher vote to get many seats outside the Senate.
EDIT: Plus you underestimate how many people either don't believe in climate change, believe that The Greens are crazy communists, believe that the major parties are doing a good enough job or just don't give a ****.

Well considering that Australian English spells out Labor with a "u" i think you can forgive it.

You may have point there, people i know seem to equate the Greens party with antisemitism for some reason.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
Page 1 of 2