Hi,

I urgently need to know the value of my strat, can anyone help me out?

It's a Genuine Fender Contemporary Stratocaster, Made in Japan in the Fujigen plant in 1986.

Its in fairly good condition for its age, being 25 years old, with no cracks but a few knocks.

It was originally the model with 2 single coils and a humbucker, with a 5 way selector switch, however the previous owner has swapped out the nexk single coil for a 60s Gibson T-Top PAF.

All of the rest of the guitar is original.

The neck, headstock and scratchplate are black, and the body is pearlish colour

Any help would be great

Cheers
They're worth a bit ore as they were the top model in that year.

From Feb 85-87 America went bankrupt and shipped all the parts to the japan plant.
There were no Americans made in those years.
Fender MIM Standard Strat
Fender 89 MIJ Standard Strat
Fender 85 Telecaster 62RI (needs a neck)
Cort solid top Acoustic
Marshall JCM 900 Hi gain Dual Reverb
FLaillinDave. All i can tell you is that. Those Fenders Are Pretty Damn Expensive Because of the quality. If i had one id keep it. Really nice guitar. and ive only seen 1 in my lifetime. i have a Thread Posted on my Fender Strat. its also Japanese Made.
i have one from the same era. mine dates to 1985. i can say that it is a very high quality strat for what i paid. i paid a little under $500 for the guitar. i have seen them for that a couple times on my local craigslist.

i'm very glad i bought mine. i put a set of lollar pick ups in it as mine wasn't original either.
it's an amazing strat for what i paid imo.

they were making the better part of the fender line in japan at the fuji-gen plant while they moved between fullerton and corona california.
Saw one for sale in a store around here for about 540$ canadian I think. Wish I had the money to pick it up
Blue book of Electric Guitars 12th edition, on page 369 your guitar is listed. The value is 190-275 depending on condition. 190 is good condition. If not good then lower the value by 20 percent

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
Quote by JohnnyNash
Blue book of Electric Guitars 12th edition, on page 369 your guitar is listed. The value is 190-275 depending on condition. 190 is good condition. If not good then lower the value by 20 percent

uhh.... No your off MIM goes for more than that
Gear
Schecter Hellraiser
Custom Built Les Paul
Ibanez Rg5ex1
line 6 DI-silver
Bugera 6260
line 6 spider ii

To Set The Ocean On fire

Quote by classicrocker01
You know you're addicted to gear when you've had more guitars than girlfriends
Quote by JohnnyNash

How old is that book?
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Quote by JohnnyNash

those books are full of shit.

its worth what someone would pay.
So you kill the messenger? He asked a question I found a source and advised him. This edition is current 2009. It says do not confuse one with the US made contemporary made in 1989 and 1991. But if you want to pay 500 + then pay it. The value it whatever you can sell it for.. The book has it listed at 475 in NEW condition.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats

Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
Quote by JohnnyNash
So you kill the messenger? He asked a question I found a source and advised him. This edition is current 2009. It says do not confuse one with the US made contemporary made in 1989 and 1991. But if you want to pay 500 + then pay it. The value it whatever you can sell it for.. The book has it listed at 475 in NEW condition.

you said 190-275. not 475. i wasn't killing the messenger, just the message. $475 was about what i paid for one i consider to be in about as good of condition as you can expect for a guitar that old. not $275.

i'd say they are worth $500 based on what they go for on ebay.
He asked how much it was worth and gave a description of the condition. He didn't say it was new. I gave him what the book listed for one in similar condition. 475 is listed for NEW and only new. He can take it to several places and see what they are willing to pay. I listed a independant source not a price someone who owns one thinks they are worth

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats

Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
fair enough. a book from this year may be a bit more accurate if you asked me.

also the ebay auctions a good source.
From Feb 85-87 America went bankrupt and shipped all the parts to the japan plant.
There were no Americans made in those years.

Really? Do you believe the lies you speak? I wonder if anyone is going to be telling America they went bankrupt, I think they should know.

The reason no American Strats were made during that year is the company was moving factories and increased production in Japan to make up for the lack of American production.
Michael
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio (Ebony w/ Gold)
Peavy Rage 158 Practice Amp
Quote by SpawnedX

The reason no American Strats were made during that year is the company was moving factories and increased production in Japan to make up for the lack of American production.

actually it's about 80/20 mij/mia from those years. they always made some strats in the usa. either fullerton or corona for part of each year, at least that's my understanding.
Well in Australia you can grab them off ebay for as low as $700 and average $900-$1200. But if you sell it in the trading post or take a look at what the music shops sell them for then you're looking at $2500.

Which is a realistic price as they're far better than the Americans however they're not the flagship model but they're infact superior to the flagship models, which is why fender stopped and switched to mexicans.
But if it were me I wouldn't pay $2500 as I'd save up an extra $500 and get a 70's American which are a lot better than the japs.
Fender MIM Standard Strat
Fender 89 MIJ Standard Strat
Fender 85 Telecaster 62RI (needs a neck)
Cort solid top Acoustic
Marshall JCM 900 Hi gain Dual Reverb
Cheers for the help. Had it checked out by a few music stores and found a lot of adjustment was needed to the neck, and the electrics were slightly below par, so I sold it for £275 cash to fund glasto. Not bad, I only paid £200
Worth noting that even with that neck problem (the fault being that it didnt line up with the trem, was miles off) it was still one of the finest strats I've played, which says a lot for them being good guitars