i have a cruiser by crafter jazz bass
the pick ups are horrible and it all feels a bit flimsy.
it also has some scratches and dents in the paintwork.
the electrics need a bit of work too.
i can't afford a fender jazz, if I redo this bass, ie new pick ups, repaint, new neck(?), etc then would it feel like a better bass?
and how do i go about doing all of that?
this would be the first time i dare take an instrument apart properly.
cheers guys
jake
If it's a cruiser by crafter, don't bother. go get a squier jazz bass vintage modified or classic vibe. really, cruiser by crafter aren't that great.
yeah, it could go well, but spending more money than it's worh on a bass isn't going to make it so much better.

you'd need basic soldering skills, and also very precise hand work on assembling it.
a new finish made by yourself isn't a great idea if you have no experience
Last edited by PRSfanatic at Jun 24, 2010,
i have good soldering skills and i'm willing to put a lot of time into it.
i have an ibanez SR505 and i love it, but i just want a four string for punkier stuff. and in a punk band i look like a bit of an oxymoron with a five string ! haha.
i don't really mind the neck, but i suppose changing pickups would be a lot of work.

thanks for your help : )
'If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.' Albert Einstein
Do it! check out my bass "build" in my sig. It will definetly be worth it. New pickups, bridge, paint, strings should make a whole new bass. I'm in the process of wiring now. Wow is suck at soldering...
Changing pickups isn't that much work if you're good with a solder. painting is a bit harder. Refretting i haven't dared to try yet
if your gona go so far as changing the neck you might as well just get a decent squire.
no sir away a papaya war is on