Sounds good, the playing is very competent, might wanna hold back on the solo-ey stuff a bit towards the end, it does sound like you're struggling a little there, and something more melodic would suit the song better probably. Songs nice though, I like the keyboard tones you've got in there, and the guitar tone is alright too. I would say time to start working with an amp + mic setup though, for those more organic sounds.

Overall, good work, keep on this track and you will be producing brilliant stuff very soon I'm sure.
My Bands

Latest Original Recording
That's really good. But I thought the guitar sounded digital. Or is that just me?
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Cool track. Nice patches. I liked the tones you got outta the X3. Any tips on how to get that sort of distortion? I've got the GT 10, but I'm mostly into the blues/psy rock scene, dont really know how to go about getting a tone like that.

The drums went well with the track and the playing was tight. Really liked your distortion patches though. Sharp and crisp.
Quote by jpnyc
You are what they call a “rhythm guitarist”. While it's not as glamorous as playing lead you can still get laid. Especially if you can sing and play.

Beer is the solutions to the world's problems.

fvcking great song man, it's like a mix between really metal In Flames and really melodic Sonic Syndicate (Eden Fire, now they suck )

The riffs were really good all throughout, as well as keyboards and drums. Nice recording quality too.

This needs vocals immediately! I can already imagine some guttural vocals mixed with subtle cleans too.

Please tell me which program you used to make the synths parts

c4c? technical deathcore with some synths also
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1329884
Sounds good, very new Dark Traquillityish. The Guitars sound good, so do the drums and synths. Maybe experiment with a compressor on the bass becuase sometimes the attack is a bit high (i have this problem too) and jumps out of the music.

Overall a good job, definatly a good listen.

C4C?: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1323289
Alright here we go....

The Good- GREAT MELODY and theme, tune sounds really solid, and it definitely has potential. Like Logan said, vocals would be GREAT on this song.

The Bad-Synth sound is WAY to processed, if you are using that as a mainstay of the song and not just in place of vocals then I would really look for a different sound, more of a bell wave with a little delay and as LITTLE treble as possible.

With all Line 6 gear they can really record a little on the trebly side, a way to counter that is in your post production on those tracks roll off some of the highs or high mids. It'll maintain the punch but not be as shrilly. Overall guitar tone is really strong, it just needs some polish.

Don't let anyone ever say you can't get a great tone with Line 6 gear, it's all in the tweaking.

All in all dude, really enjoyable track...

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1329826
Quote by Daemos
Sounds good, the playing is very competent, might wanna hold back on the solo-ey stuff a bit towards the end, it does sound like you're struggling a little there, and something more melodic would suit the song better probably. Songs nice though, I like the keyboard tones you've got in there, and the guitar tone is alright too. I would say time to start working with an amp + mic setup though, for those more organic sounds.

Overall, good work, keep on this track and you will be producing brilliant stuff very soon I'm sure.

Not so much struggling as just unclean playing, but I'll rerecord the last eight measures of that solo for good measure when I create the final mix. Thanks for the feedback. I'd definitely like to give micing a shot again when I get a nice, powerful tube amp.

Quote by UltimateDud
wow a lot better than I expected, can you send me the mp3 so I can judge it more critically? The quality is lowered by the online player

caution_v2@live.com.au

It's definitely the exact same quality, trust me. And while you can just rip the mp3 from my UG profile, I'd rather not distribute pre-demo copies too much.

Quote by Dream Floyd
That's really good. But I thought the guitar sounded digital. Or is that just me?

POD's are digital.

Quote by hitman_47
Cool track. Nice patches. I liked the tones you got outta the X3. Any tips on how to get that sort of distortion? I've got the GT 10, but I'm mostly into the blues/psy rock scene, dont really know how to go about getting a tone like that.

The drums went well with the track and the playing was tight. Really liked your distortion patches though. Sharp and crisp.

Personally, I'm not proud of the tone I got. Quite frankly, when you record with the POD, you get a ton of discoloration. Not as much as a line-in of course, but you can't really expect to get something too desirable without a bunch of mixing down. Personally (and exaggeratedly), I maxed the mids, halfed the bass, halfed the treble, maxed the prescence, and recorded. As for amps, I usually start with a Big Bottom and experiment with other settings. When I get home I can give more specific specs. But honestly, the tone is mostly mad EQing. Lots of iZotope (mastering plugin) and low/high passing. When recording with Line 6 products, you get a ton of fizz and treble. Because of this, I have tame the living crap out of my frequencies. To the point where they have no room to breathe. Most of the clarity comes from whatever frequency I choose to boost it at (which is typically around 2200). I'm still learning though and this is not a final mix, so I'll keep toying with individual frequencies and, again, give you further details later.

Quote by logan91
fvcking great song man, it's like a mix between really metal In Flames and really melodic Sonic Syndicate (Eden Fire, now they suck )

The riffs were really good all throughout, as well as keyboards and drums. Nice recording quality too.

This needs vocals immediately! I can already imagine some guttural vocals mixed with subtle cleans too.

Please tell me which program you used to make the synths parts

c4c? technical deathcore with some synths also
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1329884

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, Drop Dead had a vocalist but he quit out. I have lyrics and a sample on an old DTB copy however. It sounds pretty amazing even with the low quality. I'm excited about getting the chance to record vocals, but I really won't have the chance till I get a new one. Spots are open again for that position, but I really need someone in the Chicago area.

And sure, I'll get on that crit.

Quote by Afroboy267
Sounds good, very new Dark Traquillityish. The Guitars sound good, so do the drums and synths. Maybe experiment with a compressor on the bass becuase sometimes the attack is a bit high (i have this problem too) and jumps out of the music.

Overall a good job, definatly a good listen.

C4C?: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1323289

Yeah, man. I've been wrecking my bass frequencies and compressing the track for the longest, trying to kill that ridiculous attack on the higher notes. I'll keep working on it. Thanks for the feedback and I'll definitely get on that crit.

Quote by Omega6762
Alright here we go....

The Good- GREAT MELODY and theme, tune sounds really solid, and it definitely has potential. Like Logan said, vocals would be GREAT on this song.

The Bad-Synth sound is WAY to processed, if you are using that as a mainstay of the song and not just in place of vocals then I would really look for a different sound, more of a bell wave with a little delay and as LITTLE treble as possible.

With all Line 6 gear they can really record a little on the trebly side, a way to counter that is in your post production on those tracks roll off some of the highs or high mids. It'll maintain the punch but not be as shrilly. Overall guitar tone is really strong, it just needs some polish.

Don't let anyone ever say you can't get a great tone with Line 6 gear, it's all in the tweaking.

All in all dude, really enjoyable track...

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1329826

Yeah, I've been thinking about that considering I've been working with that synth patch for so long (been recording every track myself for a long time now) and it may just sound too processed for the overall feel. Note that what you're hearing is AFTER I've taken out a lot of that whine that comes with stock synths. I'm also going to change out the bass drum tomorrow for something that sounds a little more powerful and professional.

And yeap; when I revisit this thread tomorrow I'll crit yours as well. Thanks, all. :]
Last edited by Kwonnie at Jun 25, 2010,
Critiquing while I listen:

Great intro riff, captured me. The drums are well done, they add heaviness to it. Then it becomes even heavier, that's brilliant too. The guitar work is well done in this song. Too much soloing(lead melodies?) though, try to hold back sometimes. I love the riff at 1:27 it's pretty good. Dude I'm hooked to this song now, the mixing was well done. The guitar playing was very well done. This thing needs vocals man, that would be badass, this song is so cool! Keep it up!

Crit mine? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1328091
Quote by inyourgirlagain
Critiquing while I listen:

Great intro riff, captured me. The drums are well done, they add heaviness to it. Then it becomes even heavier, that's brilliant too. The guitar work is well done in this song. Too much soloing(lead melodies?) though, try to hold back sometimes. I love the riff at 1:27 it's pretty good. Dude I'm hooked to this song now, the mixing was well done. The guitar playing was very well done. This thing needs vocals man, that would be badass, this song is so cool! Keep it up!

Crit mine? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1328091

Nice, thanks. The solo's actually written for two guitarists. I don't usually write solos this long anymore so I might take the time to get something a little shorter in. :]

And about the band; it's pretty much back down to me and the drummer again. Need positions for guitar, bass, keyboard, AND vocals -_-"