Poll Options
View poll results: Is this fake?
Yes
14 27%
No
37 73%
Voters: 51.
Page 1 of 2
if it was a fake i doubt they would have made the effort to get the plastic pickup covers, does it play well/ sound alright if it plays okay its probably genuine.

Edit: clicked yes meant no, sorry.
Quote by AxSilentxLine
meh looks legit to me? why do you think it's a fake?

I think its a fake cos it stinks so so bad! the paint or glue is so strong its given me a headache lol!
but i think its a fake cos they ebay user has dissapeared off ebay since, also im looking at the body and the bridge is so out of line from the centre, you can see in the first 3 pictures?

also the fret inlays are so rough its unbeleivable
Quote by stegolas
I think its a fake cos it stinks so so bad! the paint or glue is so strong its given me a headache lol!
but i think its a fake cos they ebay user has dissapeared off ebay since, also im looking at the body and the bridge is so out of line from the centre, you can see in the first 3 pictures?

also the fret inlays are so rough its unbeleivable

Sounds bad most likely a fake considering that
The Bridge does look kinda wonky lol but Epiphone's are really hit and miss. I went through about 20 Epiphones before finding one that played and looked good.
its fake dude, the truss rod cover has 3 screws, legit gibson les pauls only have 2

sorry mate but if it sounds good **** it, chances are a £250 fake gibson sounds better than a £250 legit one imo
OOH NO!

never mind that comment, didnt read the epiphone bit hahaha sorry about that but still if its fake it might sound better
erm, i'm not 100% sure, but there are some tell-tail signs of a fake, like the two volume knobs not lining up perfectly straight with the screw in the scratch plate. another is the actual epiphone name on the head stock, the flick part on the n comes down more than usual. a third is that there is something with the tuners, i can't remember exactly what, but there is something that is different with them on fakes compared to the real deal. a fourth is something you're going to have to check out, is that the stop tail should have the name epiphone enscribed into it on the bottom, no fakes have this on. finally, the serial number is well known for fakes, any epiphone serial number begining with EE08 is 80% guarenteed to be a fake.

i know all of this because i once bought a fake epi les paul custom off ebay, and after doing some research on the internet, i found the signs of a fake.
Quote by mr7string
its fake dude, the truss rod cover has 3 screws, legit gibson les pauls only have 2

sorry mate but if it sounds good **** it, chances are a £250 fake gibson sounds better than a £250 legit one imo

It's an Epiphone not a Gibson lol
Quote by richie7410
erm, i'm not 100% sure, but there are some tell-tail signs of a fake, like the two volume knobs not lining up perfectly straight with the screw in the scratch plate. another is the actual epiphone name on the head stock, the flick part on the n comes down more than usual. a third is that there is something with the tuners, i can't remember exactly what, but there is something that is different with them on fakes compared to the real deal. a fourth is something you're going to have to check out, is that the stop tail should have the name epiphone enscribed into it on the bottom, no fakes have this on. finally, the serial number is well known for fakes, any epiphone serial number begining with EE08 is 80% guarenteed to be a fake.

i know all of this because i once bought a fake epi les paul custom off ebay, and after doing some research on the internet, i found the signs of a fake.

Thanks for the info man, what did you do did you get your money back or anything??
Quote by stegolas
Thanks for the info man, what did you do did you get your money back or anything??

no problem.
and no, unfornately i paid cash, so couldn't get a refund through paypal, and the seller pretty much disappered off the earth
Quote by mr7string

lol dude he has an epiphone not a gibson
Honestly, I don't think it's fake, and if it is it's a good one - I'm pretty sure those tuners say Grover so they've not done a cheap job if it is fake...

Headstock is the easiest way to tell a fake, get some good pics of that (with definitive lines and the entire headstock) and we can most likely tell you for sure.

Atm I'd go with it's not a fake..

HELLO!

I don't see that Epiphone made decal on the back of the headstock, the bridge looks off, knobs are a bit off...

Here's a real Epi LP Standard Plus Top

See that E decal on the headstock?

I wouldn't worry bro. The way i see it, Gibson and Epiphone quality are decreasing so now a days some fakes are actually really nice in comparison. Sad but true?
Quote by richie7410
a fourth is something you're going to have to check out, is that the stop tail should have the name epiphone enscribed into it on the bottom, no fakes have this on.
Actually, some fakes have been observed with this and more importantly, a lot of (legit) Epiphone guitars have been made without this.

finally, the serial number is well known for fakes, any epiphone serial number begining with EE08 is 80% guarenteed to be a fake.
Not really, since Epiphone have been making guitars in their Chinese plant since very early 2002. A serial number starting with EE08 isn't suspicious at all. Most of the nicer Epiphone models were still made in Korea until 2007 but a Standard with a Chinese '08 serial still isn't at all rare, that's perfectly legit.

Quote by r0ckth3d34n
I don't see that Epiphone made decal on the back of the headstock
[...]
See that E decal on the headstock?
OP said they paid in GBP, so they're in the UK. Out Epis here don't have that sticker, at least most of them don't above the Standard range. You can't rely on something like that for telling whether a guitar is fake or not since nearly every manufacturer has to use different stickers for guitars shipping to various regions of the world. EU Epis even go through different quality control to the Epis shipped to the Americas and Canada.

OP: I don't see anything suspicious about that guitar other than the flame veneer has been very poorly applied, but that's not unheard of with any Epiphone/Vintage/Agile/MIC Tokai/etc guitar. Smell? There is nothing about the finish that should cause to to ''smell'', unless it's a particularly new guitar in which case it may still have some of that 'new guitar smell', like new books and new CDs have.

Easiest way to tell if an Epiphone guitar is a fake or not is to open up the control cavity and look at the control potentiometers. Epiphone use a mix of Alpha and JS pots, plus one unstamped model. The fakes all use the cheapest pots, all unstamped. If you look at the pots and at least one of them is stamped either Alpha or JS, you've got a legit guitar.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I wish poeple would take straight on shots of these things instead angled views.
The TOM Bridge looks like it's running straight across the body vs angled but again with the shitty shots it's hard to tell. The VOL& Tone control placements look funcky too but again without a stright on front shot I can't tell.
Moving on.....
i think it's funny that people worry about they're epiphones being fakes, when an epiphone itself is technically a fake...............
Quote by handbanana
i think it's funny that people worry about they're epiphones being fakes, when an epiphone itself is technically a fake...............

What...?

Technically an Epiphone is just a lower budget Gibson. Not a fake.
they are considered to be "Gibson Replica's" which I would still consider fake, even if epiphone is owned by gibson.
why on earth would anyone want to fake a budget brand, if you are going to through the effort of building as fake les paul i think you`d go through the effort of putting a gibson logo on it.
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Jun 24, 2010,
Quote by handbanana
they are considered to be "Gibson Replica's" which I would still consider fake, even if epiphone is owned by gibson.

Learn when to let go of the full stop..

I don't even know where to start..

HELLO!

Did you honestly make this thread? ****ing paranoid people and their damn Les Pauls...

It's a ****ing Epiphone, for Christ's sake! Who the hell is going to go through the trouble of faking an Epiphone, and then go even as far as putting the Epiphone stickers on the pickups?

Maybe you think it looks shady, because it is an Epiphone, and a lot of Epiphones are shady/shoddy. Did you ever think of that?

EDIT: To Handbannana, shut up already, damn. Are LTD's, Edwards & Ibanez Gio's all fakes too then? And how do you figure they're fake copies, if Epiphone existed as a well off company that intimidated Gibson, and was bought by them because of that?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jun 24, 2010,
Quote by Offworld92
Did you honestly make this thread? ****ing paranoid people and their damn Les Pauls...

It's a ****ing Epiphone, for Christ's sake! Who the hell is going to go through the trouble of faking an Epiphone, and then go even as far as putting the Epiphone stickers on the pickups?

Maybe you think it looks shady, because it is an Epiphone, and a lot of Epiphones are shady/shoddy. Did you ever think of that?

EDIT: To Handbannana, shut up already, damn. Are LTD's, Edwards & Ibanez Gio's all fakes too then? And how do you figure they're fake copies, if Epiphone existed as a well off company that intimidated Gibson, and was bought by them because of that?

That kind of mentality is exactly why people fake Epiphones.
Why fake an Epiphone?
1) Fake guitar manufacturers often sell at low prices anyway. A $300 Gibson looks extremely suspicious, a $300 Epiphone, not so much.
2) Since Epiphones have lower quality than Gibsons (generally), its harder to tell if its legit just by feeling it.
3)
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Quote by Offworld92

so what if its an epiphone, thers a difference from a real and fake one. and yes i did think of that, thats why i made the thread to see if anyone thinks it is a fake........ duh!
Quote by Guitar2theface
That kind of mentality is exactly why people fake Epiphones.
Why fake an Epiphone?
1) Fake guitar manufacturers often sell at low prices anyway. A $300 Gibson looks extremely suspicious, a $300 Epiphone, not so much.
2) Since Epiphones have lower quality than Gibsons (generally), its harder to tell if its legit just by feeling it.
3)

This man wins half the thread!
golfclap stack..

Real Gibsons have two screws on the truss rod cover. Your's has three. It can't be that bad though. My friend bought a fake too, it plays as well as a $500 dollar guitar and is pretty as hell. Keep it, I would.
Quote by spiderjump
Real Gibsons have two screws on the truss rod cover. Your's has three. It can't be that bad though. My friend bought a fake too, it plays as well as a $500 dollar guitar and is pretty as hell. Keep it, I would.

He didn't buy a Gibson. He bought an Epiphone... which has 3 screws on the truss rod cover.

READ PEOPLE. Please. For the sake of humanity.
I have a few concerns.
-Bridge looks straight, not slanted
-Epiphone logo looks too low on the headstock
-Huge washers near tuning posts
-EE is bigger than the rest of the numbers

There's a sticky thread at mylespaul with info about fake epi's. Post your pictures there and either Shifty or Sinmastah will tell you if it's fake or not.
Its real. why would people bother buying grover tuners? and ive looked a lot at epiphone les pauls this is definetly real...i'm 99.9% sure. ive been around epiphone les pauls for the past week. so ive noticed a lot about them.
fake. body shape is not right and location of the pots is definitely not right.

things like where a decal is located or how many screws are in a truss rod cover or whatever can be easily counterfeited. they're not tell tale signs of fakes. however, one look at that guitar and you can tell its not real.
Last edited by al112987 at Jun 25, 2010,
Real or fake, both were made in China.
Michael
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio (Ebony w/ Gold)
Peavy Rage 158 Practice Amp
spoke to gibson and they can tell me from the pics they are sure its a fake.. damn
Quote by stegolas
spoke to gibson and they can tell me from the pics they are sure its a fake.. damn

Sorry about that, man.

I don't think even an Epiphone would make it out of the factory with a bridge that crooked.

Also, the backs of those tuners look kind of bubbly, obviously they're dome shaped, but it looks like there are etch markings on them
Now to catch a criminal u gotta think like one (now i sound like a cheesy tv show/movie), and how would a website like tradetang (well known here for selling fakes) market a fake guitar best? by making it based off a prestige model, IE a gibson custom, which is far from an Epi standard
Eh.
Truthfully I think it's a fake/counterfeit. Several reasons the low price being the first clue, the weird black oval decal on the back of the guitar is odd. The grovers look a little off to me the pics is out of focus probably on purpose! One of my favorite guitars shops is an Epi dealer I have seen Epi come in new and none have ever had that decal. I have seen the protection film on some new Epis but most shops take it off before they display the guitar. I think it's funny a lot of people are ignorant of the fact there are more fake low and mid range guitars out there than there are high end ones. Most people own them as I am typing this and have no clue they own a fake. I have seen everything from fake Epis and Squires to low end LTDs. People need to get out to some flea markets or look around the streets of NYC. Counterfeit guitars are big business and most people are not suspicious of guitars that are not high end. When you get it post some pics. Remover the cavity cover snap some pics of that. Epis are pretty well built the electronics cavity on Epis are routed fairly clean where the fakes are rough.
an Imitation Epiphone?!? Why in the hell would anybody go out of their way to make a 3rd-Party guitar into an Epiphone? Here's the thing; if it said "Gibson" THEN you would have to worry about it being a potential Imitation/Fake/Clone/Copy (whatever the hell you call it, all those words mean the same damn thing in this context), but that even includes Epiphone's that are modified to look like real Gibson's...an imitation Epiphone just isn't something that you would come across...
R.I.P.:
Randy Rhoads (December 6, 1956 – March 19, 1982)
Dimebag Darrell (August 20, 1966 – December 8, 2004)
Les Paul (June 9, 1915 – August 13, 2009)
Ronnie James Dio (July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010)
Quote by Mazz-
an Imitation Epiphone?!? Why in the hell would anybody go out of their way to make a 3rd-Party guitar into an Epiphone? Here's the thing; if it said "Gibson" THEN you would have to worry about it being a potential Imitation/Fake/Clone/Copy (whatever the hell you call it, all those words mean the same damn thing in this context), but that even includes Epiphone's that are modified to look like real Gibson's...an imitation Epiphone just isn't something that you would come across...

You need to read more or at least visit some other web sites! Where have been hiding? The Epiphone Corp has posted information on counterfeit Epis for a couple of years now. There are actually quite a few out there, some people believe they may be made from parts smuggled out of the factory or rejects.
Moving on.....
Page 1 of 2