I'm buying an acoustic bass at the end of the summer and I'm looking for something around 350$. I need help with what to look for and what brand to buy. I've been looking at the Ibanez AEB10 but that's about it. Any help is appreciated thanks!
My every day life:

School
basketball
guitar
Have a look at Cort, the SJB5 or SJB6 should be in your price range and I always thought they seemed pretty good.
I've also tried an Ibanez EWB205 and would consider getting one myself at some point.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
What to look for: bulletproof construction, large body, good electronics. Hope you're not under the delusion that you'll get any significant play unplugged -- if you play aggressively, it can keep up with an acoustic guitar or two for jamming, but for anything more you'll almost certainly be plugged in.

What brands: frankly, there isn't a single one still in production I like. IMHO, most of the ones in that price range -- Dean, Ibanez, etc. -- sound thin and are flimsily built. That said, I'm probably what you'd call a snob, because I happen to have standards.

That said, if you happen to stumble across a used Tacoma Thunderchief or Olympia OB-3CE, don't pass it up! Those are probably the closest you'll come to a usable acoustic bass, short of an upright or maybe a vintage Earthwood. I'd probably buy a P-Bass for serious gigging, since solid bodies are less prone to feedback, but so far my Olympia's handled everything fine. Certainly the most comfortable bass I've ever played.
Quote by ibanezjuice23
I'm buying an acoustic bass at the end of the summer and I'm looking for something around 350$. I need help with what to look for and what brand to buy. I've been looking at the Ibanez AEB10 but that's about it. Any help is appreciated thanks!

I've read good things about the AEB10 on other sites; speaking of "gobs of tone and tremendous sustain". Get a sound hole plug to cut the feedback when you plug in. Perhaps not the loudest acoustically speaking.
Takamine makes a pretty solid acoustic as well. Get out and play as many as you can.
Better to understand the nature of the instrument and make it work for you, than be disappointed due to false expectations.
Last edited by OtamotPuhctek at Jun 24, 2010,