I've been playing guitar for 2 and a half years, classical and electric, completely self taught. Now I think bass is a logical proggression.
As first bass, I'm not going to spend a lot of money. Bass+amp for no more than 300 euros. A cheap thing to just learn on actually, so I can get a custom one later.

EDIT: I play from prog metal to soft rock. Not much blues/funk. Opeth and Muse/Radiohead brit-rock mostly.

Any model suggestions, common secrets and general tips?

Oh, and if I find a used one, what should I notice extra?
Thanks.
Last edited by ingames at Jun 24, 2010,
I love that you used the word "groovy".
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by Burgery
I love that you used the word "groovy".

+1

on topic: may I point you towards the FAQ at the top of the page, because the answers I was just about to give are pretty much identical to some of the stuff there.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Thanks, but please feel free to speak. I want all the advice I can get.
I can't really give you any model suggestions, so many. However, make sure you're kind of... Playing interface (?), feels really comfortable. So basically, make sure it's set up nice. The worst thing in my opinion is getting a bass that has this really heavy action and poor intonation.
Learn a bass riff on your guitar and then go and play it in the store, if it plays well first time, it'll play well for most of it's life.
Play the most expensive bass in the store, and pick a favorite. Then take a bass within your budget, and try to find one that will land within the ball park of that expensive bass.
Quote by Skeletomania
Play the most expensive bass in the store, and pick a favorite. Then take a bass within your budget, and try to find one that will land within the ball park of that expensive bass.

Nice, will do mate.

Now I've read that Behringer is a no go. I'll prolly go for a Squier, but I've read that I should stay away from the Affinity ones.

Any amp suggestions? eg are Marshalls sucky like the guitar ones? And what do people mean that a bass has poor electronics, and how can I find out which ones have?
Quote by Lukeeeeeeeeeee.
Ampeg all the way for amps in my opinion.

TS is looking for a bass and an amp for 300 euros or less, so Ampeg is out of the question.

TS, look at what Peavey and Kustom have to offer. Great little solid, inexpensive starter amps to get you going.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
acoustic combo will run him that entire 300

acoustic b10 on the other hand is a decent one, but peavy and custom are where its at for small amps from what I hear. If your looking at squire standards, custom vibes and VMs are good but for the price range probably a standard is what you want.

poor electronics just means the little chinese boy that made your bass is new there. and soldered wires together poorly.

buying a bass and a guitar are pretty much the same. you look for all the same things. avoid epiphone though.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Squier VM Jazz bass and a Fender Rumble 15.

Solid starting setup for a beginner.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
^ I'd have to agree, although I'd personally pick something other than the Rumble. However, since you're just starting out, you really shouldn't worry too much, I'd say the bass is far more important at this point for learning.
Quote by lkngro
Squier VM Jazz bass and a Fender Rumble 15.

Solid starting setup for a beginner.

I would switch out the rumble for maybe a wee hartke combo or a Laney RB1 its a nice little practice amp and goes fairly loud.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
I would go for a kustom kba16, as it has a 4 band eq. It is also very, very loud.

squier standard jazz
Kustom

converted this into euros, so of course the prices will be a bit strange. My guess is that you are going to pay more than 300 at a store, unless you pick up something like the ibanez gsr jumpstart pack. You'll quickly be unsatisfied with the amp though
Quote by Canadian_basser
I would go for a kustom kba16, as it has a 4 band eq. It is also very, very loud.

squier standard jazz
Kustom

converted this into euros, so of course the prices will be a bit strange. My guess is that you are going to pay more than 300 at a store, unless you pick up something like the ibanez gsr jumpstart pack. You'll quickly be unsatisfied with the amp though

Solid combo

So I'll be getting a Squier. There are quite many models around, any names eg Affinity I should beware from?

Also, anyway to understand if the electronics on the bass are good or bad? I'll know about action if the strings are too raised up, and intonation from playing an open string and then on the 12th fret to see if it sounds the same.

And on the amp, what should I look for? When I got my electric I went for a Marshall 30DFX, I don't want to do the same mistakes here.

Thanks for all the info guys, and sorry if I'm too long.
Quote by ingames
Solid combo

So I'll be getting a Squier. There are quite many models around, any names eg Affinity I should beware from?

Also, anyway to understand if the electronics on the bass are good or bad? I'll know about action if the strings are too raised up, and intonation from playing an open string and then on the 12th fret to see if it sounds the same.

And on the amp, what should I look for? When I got my electric I went for a Marshall 30DFX, I don't want to do the same mistakes here.

Thanks for all the info guys, and sorry if I'm too long.

Only active bass have electronics. If you're buying a passive bass you don't have to worry too much. For a practice amp, used is the way to go. You'll find bargains since practice combo are hard to get rid of when people begin to upgrade to better amps.
Quote by Skeletomania
Only active bass have electronics.

What? Only a 100% completely acoustic instrument has no electronics. Even most acoustic basses have electronics.
You know... pots, wires, pickups; that sort of thing.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

Quote by gilly_90
What? Only a 100% completely acoustic instrument has no electronics. Even most acoustic basses have electronics.
You know... pots, wires, pickups; that sort of thing.

Electronics are often refer to the active circuitry in a bass. Pickups are not an electronic, it's a magnet(unless it's an active pickup.) Electronics are devices that controls the flow of electrons. Hence the word electronics.
While pickups aren't specifically electronics themselves, they are wired in as part of the circuitry. You also ignored my other examples.
There is such a thing as passive electronics.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Quote by gilly_90
While pickups aren't specifically electronics themselves, they are wired in as part of the circuitry. You also ignored my other examples.
There is such a thing as passive electronics.

Electronics are consist of resistors, capacitors, diodes, transistors, and etc. The components are connected by conductive wire where electrical currents can flow through. An example will be the PCP board on an active preamp. There's no such thing as passive electronics per se, but passive components like resistors and capacitors that are used for it's function(volume pot.) Circuitry is just a term to describe how the pickups, wires, pots, and caps are soldered into a harness, it's not the same as the word electronic, which I'm referring to.

We're going way off topic to what the poster is asking for. If you want to discuss or debate further, please start a new post.
Can't get a better starter bass then a squier VM or an SX of similar make.

For an amp you can't really go disastrously wrong, just avoid behringer
I'd recommend an orange crush series though if you can afford it.
Quote by Skeletomania
*Bullshit.*

Accept it you're wrong, seriously.

And my first set up was a Yamaha RBX270 and a Peavy Microbass, served me well for quite a while and cost me £270 a few years back.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by Skeletomania
Electronics are consist of resistors, capacitors, diodes, transistors, and etc. The components are connected by conductive wire where electrical currents can flow through. An example will be the PCP board on an active preamp. There's no such thing as passive electronics per se, but passive components like resistors and capacitors that are used for it's function(volume pot.) Circuitry is just a term to describe how the pickups, wires, pots, and caps are soldered into a harness, it's not the same as the word electronic, which I'm referring to.

We're going way off topic to what the poster is asking for. If you want to discuss or debate further, please start a new post.

I don't know if you're right technically (i don't think you are though, because gilly is Australian [even if he's from Adelaide] and I'm patriotic ) and all but, the majority of people i know (And i assume all people that play bass) will refer to electronics as pots, pickups etc.
So when you say only active basses have electronics then the majority of people (that i know of) will think different. It's probably just a misunderstanding of terms, like how in Australia a thong is a shoe sandal kind of thing and in america it is, well
^
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

So guys, my cousin (who's really into guitars) appointed me to the Ibanez GSR200.
I've just checked it out on the net, and I don't like its looks. Too... classic, mundane, just another bass looking. But the reviews are quite good.

I'll prolly wait until I actually try it, but Squiers look much, MUCH more attractive to me, and not that plain looking.
Plus, I prefer the Fender name than Ibanez. Dunno, Ibanez just rubs me the wrong way.

Thoughts, anyone?

EDIT: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/bass_guitars/squier/vintage_modified_jazz_bass/index.html

Especially this one looks sweet.
Last edited by ingames at Jun 28, 2010,
^That's the one I suggested on the first page. Great bass, especially for the money. Just get a 15 watt combo that isn't a POS and you'll be set for about two years (that's what it was like for me).

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
Quote by ingames
So guys, my cousin (who's really into guitars) appointed me to the Ibanez GSR200.
I've just checked it out on the net, and I don't like its looks. Too... classic, mundane, just another bass looking. But the reviews are quite good.

I'll prolly wait until I actually try it, but Squiers look much, MUCH more attractive to me, and not that plain looking.
Plus, I prefer the Fender name than Ibanez. Dunno, Ibanez just rubs me the wrong way.

Thoughts, anyone?

EDIT: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/bass_guitars/squier/vintage_modified_jazz_bass/index.html

Especially this one looks sweet.

The Squier VM is a fantastic bass, it's probably the most recommended starter bass around here. I will say, try out everything you can, and NEVER eliminate an option (in this case a good option) right off the bat based on looks and brand name. Squier and Ibanez are both respected brand-names, and both basses are fantastic quality basses.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass