So now that my love for 60s/70s rock is increasing, I'm really wanting a pedal that'll give me a synth/keyboard sound out of my guitar. Any recommendations folks?

Price range ceiling = $150
Custom guitars, vintage amps, boutique pedals. Blah, blah, blah.
1). That's $250, not $150.

2). Line 6...I appreciate the suggestion, thanks but no thanks lol. I should've mentioned...analog only. Not into digital.
Well I'm pretty sure it will be hard, if possible at all, to find an analog synth pedal. Unless you're talking about an envelope filter. In that case, get a Q-Tron.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
Quote by CustomAxe
2). Line 6...I appreciate the suggestion, thanks but no thanks lol. I should've mentioned...analog only. Not into digital.

Then you aren't going to get a synth pedal. They're digital, deal with it.

EHX Micro POG / EHX Micro Synth.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Well the EHX Micro Synth is the top contender for me right now, and its an analog synth pedal. I'm basically just trying to emulate the synth sounds of bands like Deep Purple and Uriah Heep.

Edit: oh, so there aren't any analog synth pedals? I was unaware of this. This is my first foray into anything synth-y, so I'm on the matter.
Last edited by CustomAxe at Jun 24, 2010,
Take a hint from the bass players for this one:
used boss syb-3
(behringer bass synth if you don't mind having behringer gear)

Or just combine a hard fuzz with an octave pedal and an envelope filter of your choice and you'll be able to sound like a lot of different synths without buying a real synth pedal.
Hm, the EHX website says "all analog design"...interesting.
If you want a real synth sound, you need a hexaphonic pickup first, like a Roland GK-3 or a piezo equipped bridge. That way you can connect it to a midi converter, Roland and Terratec make a couple of models. Supposedly, the Terratec Axon series is the best stuff you can get.
The midi converter does what the name implies: It turns your guitar's signal into midi signals that a synthesizer of your choice can work with. Now just hook that synth up to a PA or keyboard amp and you're good to go.

That'll get you real synth sounds... for around 2000 bucks or so.

250 might just score you an Electro Harmonix POG or MicroSynth, which, while they don't compare to the stuff keyboard players use, can get you a very convincing organ tone which definitely is cool for a lot of '60s/'70s stuff.
You could get an Fm4 within your budget used. And most synth stuff is gonna be digital as others have said.
Maybe I'll up my budget and go for the Micro synth. It looks great!
Yeah it looks amazing online, and EHX is known for amazing quality stuff.
get a Godin synth-axess or whatever they're called, and run it into a microkorg or some kind of controller/synth. $1500 new, maybe $1000 used.
Quote by Tedward
get a Godin synth-axess or whatever they're called, and run it into a microkorg or some kind of controller/synth. $1500 new, maybe $1000 used.

Err, I pretty much exclusively play my custom guitars. I won't use synth sounds enough to spend $1K+ on a whole new guitar for it...
$1000 could get you both the guitar (which is a great guitar, they are handmade in Canada IIRC) and also a decent synth to run it through. The possibilities are literally endless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVaX0Rrdx4o

They make the synth-access into a lot of different shaped guitars, not just acoustic styled ones like that.
Quote by phoenix_crush
You could get an Fm4 within your budget used. And most synth stuff is gonna be digital as others have said.

The FM-4 is really awesome, but most of the synths are monophonic. Then again, maybe that's what the TS is going for? I need an example of some of the tones.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
You want a synth sound? You're not going to get a great one for cheap.

Look at the Electro-Harmonix HOG, or the FM-4 as previously suggested. You can get a used FM-4 within your budget alot of the time.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??