BUMP

please i need this pedal for tomorrow if possible and i have finished more r less everything besides this and drilling the enclosure
You can search the net for transistor datasheets. The y usually contain a drawing which gives the info about the leg orientation.
Read This then use a DMM to get your answers. And this threads been up only an hour, maybe don't be so impatient. And learn to google search.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Quote by MonkeyLink07
Read This then use a DMM to get your answers. And this threads been up only an hour, maybe don't be so impatient. And learn to google search.

sorry for double posting...i just really want to use this pedal and google search only got me useless things (maybe i dont know how to search ?)

i will try the suggested but are there any other methods...maybe from someone who has done this pedals before as these are not the usual transistors
It tells you the orientation right on the PCB layout in this layout pdf.
http://diy.musikding.de/images/stories/facege/facegeschalt.pdf

If you still dont get it look up datasheets for the AC122 or AC128, whichever came with the kit. Here's one for the AC128.
http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets_pdf/A/C/1/2/AC128.shtml
Quote by Invader Jim
It tells you the orientation right on the PCB layout in this layout pdf.
http://diy.musikding.de/images/stories/facege/facegeschalt.pdf

If you still dont get it look up datasheets for the AC122 or AC128, whichever came with the kit. Here's one for the AC128.
http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets_pdf/A/C/1/2/AC128.shtml

its not the problem with the direction etc...

the actual transistors have no signs what so ever as to where they should be placed
1st off, the transistors have a tab so you can see what the orientation is. data sheet will tell you which leg is which, schematic will tell you which leg is supposed to connect with what. you can use those to figure out orientation.

now if you are talking about which transistor is q1 and which is q2, well they have sockets. that means you can try them in both positions to see which you like. i think they are both the same type of transistor, so just try them in each position.
jof, I know that pretty much every time you are right with their orientation, but both times I have gotten some Ge transistors from Smallbear they have come with no little tab and the writing on them has worn off. It doesn't even say what model they were on the site. But if he uses any of the transistor testing techniques already posted, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

Another thing, is that on the PCB it doesn't say which lead should be in which socket hole, in which case, use the schematic, which they have on that website and trace the pcb to see where they mach up. Or if that is too difficult, use a DMM to test for continuity between the sockets and the other component, that will tell you where that leg is connected to and you can match it up with the schem.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
^ hm, the Ge transistors ive gotten from smallbear have all had the little tab on them. well, or they have had a triangular/offset center leg layout where it is pretty easy to tell which leg is which. thats where you can use the data sheet and schem to figure out which leg goes where.

i guess ive just never felt it that hard to figure out orientation, and never bothered using a DMM for it. transistors never bother me.
capacitors on the other hand, i check every single one with a DMM. for the life of me i cant figure out why there are so many different labeling techniques and what most of them mean
im talking about the orientation

the problem is that the 3 legs are in a line not a triangle like most are and there is no indication of which leg is which which is not how the picture of other transistors have
why would you need to check capacitors with a DMM? I understand the normal 3 number value markings and electrolytics are normall marked. I was thinking about getting a capacitance meter, just because it may be useful on some caps I have with work away writing, and This one has a hfe measurement too.

yeah, they didn't have any markings on them, no letters, numbers, or little tabs, but the legs were off set, but I still wanted to be sure I didn't have them mixed up.

EDIT: so you need to know which one is the Base, Collector, and Emitter. Use the website I posted in post #4, it will help you out.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Last edited by MonkeyLink07 at Jun 25, 2010,
Quote by MonkeyLink07
why would you need to check capacitors with a DMM? I understand the normal 3 number value markings and electrolytics are normall marked. I was thinking about getting a capacitance meter, just because it may be useful on some caps I have with work away writing, and This one has a hfe measurement too.

yeah, they didn't have any markings on them, no letters, numbers, or little tabs, but the legs were off set, but I still wanted to be sure I didn't have them mixed up.

EDIT: so you need to know which one is the Base, Collector, and Emitter. Use the website I posted in post #4, it will help you out.

yeah thanks...ill have to get one
Quote by MonkeyLink07
why would you need to check capacitors with a DMM? I understand the normal 3 number value markings and electrolytics are normall marked.

there are a few brands that use a different marking system for caps. they had some of those mixed in with the normal 3 number markings in one of my classes, so i just gave up checking the numbers and started using the DMM. i have no idea what the markings were, i just know they screwed me up enough times that it became easier to not even look at them.