Alright, I was wondering if it is possible that an employer can choose not to hire someone because they have been to a mental hospital in the past for depression (I'm 17 and I was 14-15 then)? I tried googling but all I got was stuff about mentally retarded people and employment.

I ask because the place that I am currently waiting to be employed by has to run a background check on me (which they are doing now) and my current boss thought I quit because she is a bitch and didn't put me on the schedule next week and took me off of the payroll.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Last edited by RockGuitar92 at Jun 24, 2010,
i dont think they look at your medical history... they look for a criminal record. so if it is on ur criminal record that u were then they could choose not to hire u. that is theyre discrestion. if it is not on ur criminal reocrd then they dont need to know. besides which u are under 18, so none of that stuff really matters. if u have no felonies ur fine
Quote by spanishyanez
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a M0lliP0Ps?

the world may never know!

e-married to KENSAI

如果你可以阅读这个,你是中国人。
I don't know how it is in the US but in the UK it's illegal not to hire someone on medical grounds. Unless you were comitted for a crime it shouldn't show up on your records, if you choose to mention it, or there is a large gap in your CV it can be brought up, but MUST be discounted from a final decision (though in reality that's hard to do)
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by doive
I don't know how it is in the US but in the UK it's illegal not to hire someone on medical grounds. Unless you were comitted for a crime it shouldn't show up on your records, if you choose to mention it, or there is a large gap in your CV it can be brought up, but MUST be discounted from a final decision (though in reality that's hard to do)

I was thinking it was illegal too but I don't want to get disqualified for a job for something I did back when I was like 14.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
I seriously doubt that.
As far as I know, any inquiries about anything medically-related has to be consistent with the job, so that the employer can be sure that you can actually do the work. Besides, the background check, as stated above is for a criminal record.
Begin again in the night, let's sway again tonight.
Your arm on my shoulder, your cheek against mine.
Where can we go, when will we find that, we know.
Of course they can choose not to hire you because of that. You'd still be able to sue, though.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
A background check in England is basically just a CRB (Criminal Records Bureau) check so if you have any offences which you didn't declare when applying they can choose not to hire you. Unless the job is involving close social work or something of that nature, Eg becoming a doctor or a child carer, they might need to do a medical background check on you, but as long as you have no contagious condition or a condition that can severely impair the work you wish to partake in then they can't not hire you for that reason.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Quote by RockGuitar92
I was thinking it was illegal too but I don't want to get disqualified for a job for something I did back when I was like 14.

I can't see that you would. Also at this stage there is nothing you can do - it's done it's past, if they see the record, they see the record and there's nothing you can do about it until after they make their decision anyway.

If they decline you ask for reasons (which companies normally readily give, it's often just "bob was better than you") if they seem shifty about it, then probe further, if not just drop it and move on. Hopefully though, they'll take ou on and you won't even have to think about it
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
I doubt they wouldn't have access to something like that. background checks usually go through criminal records, medical records are privates
Quote by MangoStarr
i think i love you
i dont think you couldnt get hired for depression, but if he/she finds out about it and is a douche bag could probuly think of some other reason to keep you off
Quote by RockGuitar92

They won't be asking you why you didn't have a job when you were 14 years old, you'll be fine.