So I was woken up at 10:30 this morning by a ring at my door bell. Dazed and still asleep I answered the door in shorts, no shirt. I then realized it was what I had been waiting for all week!!!

Big HUGE brown box. What could it be? It's pretty heavy.

After pulling out all the packing paper I find this in bubblewrap.

What could it be.......?

What do you know its a Peavey VTM 120 Head!!

Unfortunately I don't have a cab at the moment so I haven't even been able to play it yet , so I can't exactly do much of a review of the sound. But I can review the features.

This is easily one of the heaviest heads i've ever picked up. I'd say the weight is comparable to a Mesa Triple Rec. Carrying it up three floors wasn't very fun. Playing out with it is gonna be a pain, but what amp is easy anyway?

Its pretty simple as far as features go. Single Channel, two inputs. 120 Watts. Uses 4 6L6's and 4 12ax7's. Simple 3 Band EQ, with 2 gain knobs and presence. These were one of the first stock hot rodded peavey amps to come out in the 80's. They are said to be JCM 800 clones(minus not using el34s i guess), and are the predecessor to the 5150/6505 line.

Other than it being super heavy I will give more of a full review later in the week. Hopefully i'm going to my buddys house to play it through his Marshall 1960A cab.
Beatiful, HNAD!

What did you pay?
Quote by TheChaz
I ran over two squirrels at once one time. They were chasing after each other in the street, and I swerved to avoid them, but ended up with one under each tire. Still my greatest driving accomplishment to date.

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Hitler could have been aborted
At least your box didn't look like mine. The UPS guy didn't even ring the door bell.... I wonder why?

UG: does it do heavy?

handbanan: it weighs the same as a mesa!

lol

it's a great amp for the usual prices. john can get you some mods for it, he's been going "bananas" modding his.

get a good cab.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Nice HNAD
I really want to try one of those
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Quote by handbanana

pre-scooped.

hnad again.
Thanks guys, I actually got this amazingly cheap on ebay cause noone else bid on. I got it for a clean $200 plus shipping. It came out to $250 total.

I really really need a cab, trying to trade pretty much any of my gear(except my SG of course) for a decent cab. At the moment I really want a nice 2x12, cause I won't be playing any gigs anytime soon. Just in my house. Anyone got a Marshall 1922 or 1932 2x12 they wanna trade me for my strat or avt combo or something?
......creeper.

how did you even find that? I only posted it like 30 minutes ago
Last edited by handbanana at Jun 24, 2010,
^By browsing Craigslist less than 30 minutes ago?
Greg probably saw your location and was trying to help you out by looking for a good deal on a cab
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS
^By browsing Craigslist less than 30 minutes ago?
Greg probably saw your location and was trying to help you out by looking for a good deal on a cab

yea i went to search for a cab and saw his ad like third down.

so obviously he already looked so.

i am rather adept at clist i will admit.
i've probably emailed 50 between north jersey and baltimore about trading for a cab. I really have no money, but I saw a Marshall 1922 2x12 for $250. Not exactly the best cab but suitable for what I need. If I can sell either the avt or the strat I should have enough for it.

Anyone who sees any deals feel free to throw them my way.
Quote by sidebuster
At least your box didn't look like mine. The UPS guy didn't even ring the door bell.... I wonder why?

also this is a bit of an lol just cause it clearly says "HANDLE WITH CARE"........... Maybe the ups can't read?
yes I know. what can I say, it was my first amp, I would probably sell it for liek $20

and theres a lot of dummies out there
FCUK YES. VTM's are SOOO rad...and barely anybody on here has one

HNAD!!!
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
so every single one of the tubes were blown, output was blown. all it could do is feedback on my friend JCM 800 cab. Tried to get a refund from the seller, he was being a douche, so I made a claim on ebay, he remained a douche, and now i'm getting a full refund from ebay(including all shipping costs) and it's going back.

So hopefully a different NAD will come soon, this was quite a bummer for me
Quote by handbanana
so every single one of the tubes were blown, output was blown. all it could do is feedback on my friend JCM 800 cab. Tried to get a refund from the seller, he was being a douche, so I made a claim on ebay, he remained a douche, and now i'm getting a full refund from ebay(including all shipping costs) and it's going back.

So hopefully a different NAD will come soon, this was quite a bummer for me

I'm sorry dude, that really sucks.

Atleast you're getting you freakin' money back though!
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
yeah and they're refunding all shipping costs as well so i can't complain too much. they actually got back to me pretty fast, took like less than 24 hours
dude im from philly(delaware county) i have my basses on CL too....what a coincidence..and i saw that before reading this
King of Shred

Gear:
ESP LTD F-500
Takemine G-340 Acoustic
Ibanez SR505
Ibanez GSR200
Line 6 Spider III 75
Ibanez TS9
ISP Decimator
Laney GS412LA Cab
Peavey VK100
**UPDATE**

In another weird turn of events, the guy refused to sing for the package when I sent it back, so therefore, ebay is giving me my money back, and giving me the amp. So basically i'm getting an amp that needs work for free.

Definitely needs to be retubed, and may or may not need a new output transformer. Deciding what i'm going to do with it at this point
Quote by AcousticMirror
you're gonna dance because somebody else's douchebaggery wins your day.

This. Congrats on that deal btw. VTMs are one of my favorite single channel amps.

Are you gonna mod it, btw?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
i barely have enough money to retube it, let alone pay for labor and get it rebiased and serviced. And the transformer will probably be another $75. I could probably change the preamp tubes myself, that might save me a little money. but i'm not sure i really need a 120 watt amp. i'm thinking about fixing it and selling it. if anyone on here wanted to buy it as is i'd sell it pretty cheap
But if you got the money back from it, didn't you recoup your costs?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
sucks dude. You can sell it "as-is" to someone willing to fix it, or you can spend your $250 on fixing it.

i'd just sell it "as-is."
maybe i'll just get the transformer fixed and then sell it, i'm sure it would be easier to sell if all it needed was new tubes. i could probably even get away with just changing the 6l6's. the 12ax7's I could atleast change myself.

also some of my money needs to goto other stuff now, at least $70 is going to my girlfriend cause she paid for my This is Hardcore ticket, and i'm not trying to miss Kid Dynamite

but then again some guy wanted to my AVT50 and I told him I wasn;t selling it. Now i'm considering doing it to fund the repairs and a cab. Need to sell my strat as well.
Last edited by handbanana at Jul 10, 2010,
send it to me...i'll fix it up for free.....and send it back within 2 weeks. That is my standard offer. I charge below amp tech rates if I run into issues. Otherwise, ditch that piece of shit because it is a crappy amp.

i found a place that does free estimates, if all it needs is new tubes, then i'll retube it and probably use it a bit. if not it's probably gone
thats what my friend said when he checked it out, said he wasn't sure though. Said it could just be tubes, nut not positive, cause with everything turned down the channel wouldn't really silence, and it barely had any response, just sounded quiet muddy and terrible with feedback