Hey, I'm planning on buying a guitar, and I need some advice. I have a budget of about 200-350$. I would probably playing Blues, all kinds of Rock, and Some light metal. So yeah, I was looking at the Epiphone Les Paul Studio, Epiphone Vintage G-400, and the ESP LTD EC-100QM. I already have a old gretsch Strat copy. I'm going to test a bunch out at the guitar center on Saturday.

Thanks
personally i would get the les paul, i own the standard g-400 and the neck dive on it is awfull
Try a schecter out. Good guitars good price and I think they'll work for what you play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAHellraiser
Go into Guitar Center and tell them you are willing to spend $3000 on as many Spider and MG half stacks as they can give you.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
for rock id go for the epi personally, the ltd would be better for metal however

LTD wouldn't necessarily be better for metal, just because ESP/LTD is a more metal-oriented brand, and because the LTD has 24 frets.

They both have crappy stock pickups. And the LTD is bolt on as well.
LP shape +Bolt on = near impossible to reach the higher frets, making them useless

Either Epi would be better. The G-400 suffers from neck dive issues. (When standing you would need to keep your guitar supported at all times by your arms or else the neck will slowly angle downwards.) Owning a G-400 myself I wasn't 100% satisfied with it because of that problem. The Epi LP may be the best choice.

But it's good that you want to try them out. you may like the LTD for all we know.
Oh man, do I ever love buying good guitars for cheap. 200-350? No problem!

First of all, check out Agile, the super cheap super good les paul copies. Just do your research on this and find out how many people are raving about these, forget epiphone.
http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar-ss10.html

Also, washburn idols are outstanding and unbelievably cheap, they are like a lighter more modern version of a les paul and/or sg. The only models I recommend are WI45 and WI64.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Washburn-Idol-Series-WI-64DL-electric-guitar-/290447167184?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar&hash=item43a0000ed0#ht_500wt_1154
http://cgi.ebay.com/Washburn-Idol-WI45-Washburn-WI45-electric-guitar-/280525061227?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar&hash=item415098bc6b#ht_500wt_1154
http://cgi.ebay.com/Washburn-Idol-64-W-Fender-EZ-Tuner-Gibson-Soft-case-/280523479525?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar&hash=item41508099e5#ht_1088wt_1137

Both agile and washburn models have good demo videos on youtube, check 'em out.
Peavey XXX 40efx
Schecter C1+ (sd 59bA4 neck/sd Custom8 Bridge)
Washburn Idol WI45(AirNorton/CrunchLab)

ESP/LTD Viper 300(EMG81b,89n)
Boss SD-1, Crybaby, MXR 6-band EQ,
Digitech DL-8 Delay Looper, SupaCharga
Maybe cause I heard some bad things about the SG try the Vinstage VS6 (it's an SG model) look for it on youtube. I heard some great things about it.
If you want all around, I'd go with one of the Epiphones. ESP is better for metal. My metalhead friends like Schectors, so if metal is your thing then maybe check those out.
Okay Thanks, I'll try out all your suggestions and see which guitar feels best in my hands, also the neck dive thing won't really be such a problem for me if the guitar feels nice in my hands.
Last edited by zakariah at Jun 24, 2010,
I own both of the Epiphones and i personally find the Les Paul more comfortable and solid but the SG just feels that bit easier to play and i cant quite think why. The neck dive doesnt really bother me either. I find the LP sounds a bit nicer too.

So if u decide to pick either u wont be disappointed but id say go for the LP
I would suggest a LP style guitar myself but an SG style can be a good choice. Do not go by the brand name there are plenty of good to great guitars out there that are not big brand names. I like Epiphone LPs IMHO they are the best and closets thing you'll find to a Gibson. I saw Agile mentioned probably the best bang for your buck if you buy new. I have several LP style guitars from Jay Tuser that perform great as well. The JT are made from alder not mahogany they have a tone all their own compared to Mahogany LPs.

The best thing to do is go out and try as many guitars in your price range as you can thru an amp similar to what you own. I know a lot of guys that go out try a guitar thru an amp and wonder why it doesn't sound the same when they get it home.
Quote by johnro6659
I would suggest a LP style guitar myself but an SG style can be a good choice. Do not go by the brand name there are plenty of good to great guitars out there that are not big brand names. I like Epiphone LPs IMHO they are the best and closets thing you'll find to a Gibson. I saw Agile mentioned probably the best bang for your buck if you buy new. I have several LP style guitars from Jay Tuser that perform great as well. The JT are made from alder not mahogany they have a tone all their own compared to Mahogany LPs.

The best thing to do is go out and try as many guitars in your price range as you can thru an amp similar to what you own. I know a lot of guys that go out try a guitar thru an amp and wonder why it doesn't sound the same when they get it home.

Yeah, I actually found a Brownsville ULP-300 for 200$, its a very good LP copy