Hey UG,

I have been looking into tube amps recently because I was interested in finding out what tone of tube would fit especially my blues playing. I don't feel like making a large investment at the moment and therefore I am looking for a small and cheap 5 watt tube amp.

I quickly realized how much more they cost compared to solid states. So my question is quite simple. Should I save up for the big investment or exist there cheap tube amps which are good enough to jazz up my blues music.

Unfortuneatly my local music store are being rebuild so can't just go in and play a bunch of amps. Therefore I have decided to start my research online. My budget is 140-210 euros and the link below shows a number of amps in that price range and I kindly ask you to share your experience.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/cat.html?gf=tube_guitar_combos&oa=pra
^+1
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
pro jr. it's 15 watts but does quiet well.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I love my VOX AC4TV. Has a great clean tone and has a really great bluesy crunch.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
I'd vote for the VOX AC4TV - not the mini, the 10" speaker sounded better when I played it.
,___,
[O.¬] - WTF?
/)__)
-"--"-
Gregs and Magicpad hit it dead on. Fender Pro Jr. I have a buddy who plays blues professionally and that's one of the amps he uses. Sounds unbelievably good for the price point and you CAN gig with it.
When I wanted tube sound for cheap I bought a Marshall AVT50, its a hybrid amp using only one 12ax7. It obviously doesnt sound like an all tube amp, but it is a HUGE difference from most regular solid state amps. The one tube alone goes a pretty long way. I think vox makes some cheap hybrid amps.

Also I just got a Peavey VTM head for $200 USD, if you can find one they are cheap all tube JCM 800 clones. Check out my NAD thread for more details
if you can put up with the background noise, and not a ton of clean headroom, the vht special 6 is pretty nice for the price point.

bear in mind any of those amps without master volumes, even if they are only 5 watts, will be LOUD if you want to crank them up. 15 watts will be even worse.

the pro junior is expensive in europe. it's about £300-£350 (400 euro) here, which is $500 or so. However, Musicstore Cologne's House Brand, Fame, makes what might be a clone of the Fender Pro junior, but with better parts and a better speaker, for about 220 euro. The internet talk about it suggests it's a clone, but that might be BS (i haven't tried it myself). It might be worth considering. It's the gta15, and is made by yerasov in russia.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Check out the new Laney Cub, it sounds like it can do a nice bluesy crunch tone from the videos.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
also if you're looking at any of the british amps, check the prices in the UK- if you can find someone who doesn't completely rip you off on european shipping (good luck with that, lol, but an odd one might offer decently-priced EU shipping), it might work out cheaper than ordering from thomann. Thomann isn't cheaper for everything.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
the pro junior is expensive in europe. it's about £300-£350 (400 euro) here, which is $500 or so. However, Musicstore Cologne's House Brand, Fame, makes what might be a clone of the Fender Pro junior, but with better parts and a better speaker, for about 220 euro. The internet talk about it suggests it's a clone, but that might be BS (i haven't tried it myself). It might be worth considering. It's the gta15, and is made by yerasov in russia.

Wow, I didn't realize the Pro Jr. was that expensive over there. That stinks. It's incredibly cheap over here in the States.

Here's a video of my friend that I referred to in my other post. I'm pretty positive he was playing on a Pro Jr. in this video. I know it's tough to judge a YouTube vid for tone, but I think you can get a good idea of what it's capable of for blues. Give it about a minute into the vid before he really starts playing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duw6xMZrwos
yeah, i mean i liked the pro junior i tried, but that was tempered somewhat by the price, lol. At US prices, sure, it's definitely worth considering (like most things made in the US ).

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by CECamps
Wow, I didn't realize the Pro Jr. was that expensive over there. That stinks. It's incredibly cheap over here in the States.

me neither. i see them for $200 all the time used here.

if there is a good clone for cheap over there, that's one thing to consider.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
as i said, though, i have no idea if it actually is a clone. it does seem to be better quality parts (actual jensen c10 speaker, metal film resistors etc.), but whether the circuit is the same There are a couple of youtube vids, and it sounds in the ballpark, but obviously you can't tell too much from youtube. One guy on some forum (tdpri? just from when i was looking into them myself) got one and said, if i remember correctly, that it didn't sound that much like a pro junior, because he didn't like the pro junior and he liked the fame gta15 LOL.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
laney cub 10
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
My local music will reopen completly in a week or so - so I will hit the town then and hope they have some of the suggested amps.
where are you, denmark? trains are pretty cheap in continental europe (compared to here, where a 10 mile train journey is about 1000 euro), it might even be worth taking a trip to one of the bigger german stores, like musicstore, depending on where you are in europe, how far away you are, and how good your local shops are.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My local shop has a pretty bad showroom but it can order a lot of gear home. So having a little roadtrip has crosed my mind. It proparly wont be to Germany though. I think I will head to Copenhagen instead where the music stores have a better selection - try out the amps and then snif out a good deal somewhere.
yeah, it's definitely worth getting to try the things as long as you don't blow half your budget doing so, lol.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?