Hey guys what's up? So i have this in my mind : i understand some bands record entire albums in half step down tuned guitars ( or just a lot of songs ) like Guns n' roses and alice in chains ( i think ) but i'm not sure why that happens... i've heard somewhere that happens because it's supposed to fit better in the singer's voice. Could it be because of something like that?

Thanks in advance
From my understanding, it's easier to sing lower notes than higher, so they tune guitars down= singers sing lower and it still sounds pretty much the same.
or instead of tuning down the guitar they can just play in a lower key right?
Quote by Nelv92
or instead of tuning down the guitar they can just play in a lower key right?

Well, yeah, they'll play in a lower key with or without tuning down.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
As mentioned above, it's sometimes done to match the singer's range, but it's also sometimes done to get a heavier sound.
yes they could.

its call transposing incase u was wondering

i think bands like dream theater tuned down to C in some songs to match the piano because its lowest note is a C which is 2 steps lower then e.

i think alot of bands do it for a heavyer sound
People downtune a half step to get the lower sound. I think Slash at some point said that a different tone was also created by having it down a half step. The strings are looser. But I think it's primarily because the band is imitating their favourite band, which in turn imitated their favourite band. To the best of my knowledge, Black Sabbath was one of the first bands to down-tune their instruments, and this wasn't to achieve a darker tone, it was because Toni Iommi lost his fingertips in a workplace accident. He couldn't hold down the strings as hard anymore, so downtuned. People copied.

I don't think it has anything to do with the singer, it's only half a tone.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Hey people what's up? So, I have a roland micro cube guitar amplifier and I was thinking of getting a Orange Crush 12L or the Orange Crush 20L . So in your opinion, you think i should replace my Roland for the Orange ? And which one of them? My roland has a few effects and different kinds of distortion but lacks a decent EQ controler. So what's your opinion?
Thanks in advance
Quote by Nelv92
Hey guys what's up? So i have this in my mind : i understand some bands record entire albums in half step down tuned guitars ( or just a lot of songs ) like Guns n' roses and alice in chains ( i think ) but i'm not sure why that happens... i've heard somewhere that happens because it's supposed to fit better in the singer's voice. Could it be because of something like that?

Thanks in advance

its a fad.

I mean for some people there are legitimate musical reasons, but its prevalence has alot to do with current trends.

Quote by AlanHB
I think it's primarily because the band is imitating their favourite band, which in turn imitated their favourite band.

Exactly
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 15, 2010,
You downtune because it's brutal. Singers have nothing to do with it.

Half step down is close to standard, which is what you're used to hearing, but it's different, so it thrown your ear off.