you know how when you buy a new fender there is like that plastic film on it? i tore that off. and now i want to but stickers on it. but im worried if i don like the way it looks and want to take it off, it will leave that sticky resadue and damage the coating. how do other people put stickers on? do they leave that plastic film on? what should it do? how can i put stickers on it now,should i get some kind of other plastic film? should i just stick it on the finish and hope it looks good? or am i just screwed?
Spoon + Pen = Spen
Quote by HJS >.>
What would be the best bass string size to play something like Slipknot

Quote by Brad_Bassist
No strings. If you're playing Slipknot, you don't deserve strings.
you can use rubbing alcohol to remove the sticker residue i believe
Dick+strings= owww
Every sticker I've ever put on a guitar or bass I've regretted.

That said, you can get them off - if you work the sticker slowly and peel it as neatly as possible, you can use Goo Gone (as mentioned above) to get rid of it. Just be careful - too much rubbing to clean a bad sticker experience can screw your finish's clear coat for sure.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by Lukeeeeeeeeeee.
Just don't do it! It looks noobie in my opinion. Have it nicely polished, dusted and gleaming.

Agreed
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
IMO basses look retarded with a few stickers but if you have a lot of them it can look pretty sick. Otherwise like a few people said above me, keep it looking all nice and shiny
Last edited by bassplayer4444 at Jun 24, 2010,
Quote by rasveer
you can use rubbing alcohol to remove the sticker residue i believe

it may discolor the clear coat by making it white, instead of clear. the best way to remove residue is by using more adhesive (like using duct tape to remove it). sounds counter productive, i know.

EDIT: the duct tape will work best if it is RESIDUE. not paper stuck to it cuz you ripped off the sticker. other wise, use WATER. u never ripped off stickers as a kid and used a rag to whipe off the paper that was still there?
Last edited by xXMetal-HeadXx at Jun 24, 2010,
I also wanted to put some stickers on my bass, in the early days. But later I saw the error of my ways and didn't do it. No matter how good or expensive your bass is, it'll look like it's a worn cheap-ass bass from a pawn shop.
I actually found a sticker (well, not technically a sticker) that I like alot on my bass. Its a Mutts comic strip that I cut out of the newspaper and put it on my bass with clear tape.

But if you aren't fortunate enough to have it work, just use some isypropyl (rubbing) alcohol to get it off.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
Rubbing alcohol hasn't discolored the finish of my Squire strat. I had tons of stickers on it at one point in time ( all of which I regretted) My advice if you want to put stickers on a guitar/bass do it on one you aren't going to play shows will, or one you don't really care about.
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
It's your bass so do whatever the hell you want to it. But, Goo Gone is the top notch item to remove sticker residue!
I have a p-bass knock off thats PLASTERED with stickers,all over.
And not just stickers,but temporary tattoo's aswell.
It does make it look like a cheap bass from a pawnshop,and that's what it is.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
look at fle's basses (the fender jazz and his modulus)...they are filled with stickers and look awesome
he ruined that modulus
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
i bought a guitar that had stickers on it, and i used skin softener, and the resedue came right off.
You can always find a place to go if you can keep your sanity
Quote by '93
look at fle's basses (the fender jazz and his modulus)...they are filled with stickers and look awesome

Then look at flea... No dis-respect, but he's scruffy as.
Quote by codeinedreams
Use WD-40 - it's a miracle worker - you will thank me.

This. I have a ho-oh on my bass and it's awesome
The only sticker that's ever looked good on a guitar is the one on my accoustic, no one's ever questoned it. It's Ok To Be Me plastered under the bridge. But other then that I always stick them to the back, only to remind me of things though, like what I'm playing, incase I get to drunk before they shove us out on stage.
Quote by the_perdestrian
put stickers on the pickgaurd.

I'd have to agree with this. If you're bent on stickers, this will help you keep them confined to one area, and if you absolutely can't get the residue off, you can just replace the pickguard if you feel you need to.
Sticky residue can easily be removed by surgical wipes that are designed to get rid of the residue left when bandages are removed. Worked a treat when i set up and cleaned a 1979 Ibanex Roadster for a friend Obviously try it on a small patch first. WD-40 as mentioned is also good (so i hear).
The Official "Rockin' Roadie"

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Squier Stratocaster w/mods (1989)
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Valvestate 8280
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
my squier p bass has alot of stickers on it. it looks pretty cool but if i were to get a really nice bass with a really nice finish i definitly would not do it.
Quote by '93

i didnt know those were stickers, i thought the bass was just painted like that
Spoon + Pen = Spen
Quote by HJS >.>
What would be the best bass string size to play something like Slipknot

Quote by Brad_Bassist
No strings. If you're playing Slipknot, you don't deserve strings.
I used different colour tape to put my band's initials on my bass. It looks good in a kind of "so shit it looks good" way.
Thankfully it peels off no problem and i'm not bothered about leaving marks because i'll never sell this bass.