wondering where i could test myself on music theory. I have learned alot but i dont know how much i actually know. I need to be able to gauge where i am at.

I have been playing for 6 years and have never jammed with anyone because i feel like i dont know enough. this is a problem that i would like to gauge and fix very promptly.
90% of musicians that you would likely jam with probably won't know much theory at all beyond maybe basic scales. Go start a band!

You never "don't know enough" to jam with someone, just do it! It's the best way to learn, ,making mistakes that way makes you learn so much quicker, and learning from others is really useful too. As for the theory test i'm not sure, but it's such a wide topic that is bottomless really I don't think you need to worry about how much you know, just keep on learning
Quote by iamatadpole
You never "don't know enough" to jam with someone, just do it!

I don't know. That's not really fair to someone who wants to make music and not teach someone the whole time or hold their hand through the process.

You should have at least some basic knowledge and ability before you start jamming with people or its probably not going to even be jamming, just confusion followed by quitting.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
As long as you can solo in key, I'd say a jam is nothing to worry about.

Six years and you haven't jammed? Screw theory for now and start jamming.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
ya i know i definately need to start jamming. i just have crappy gear and crappy anxiety.

but i am still interested in theory tests because it would also help me learn stuff. i dont want a band member saying something like, 'play the d harmonic minor scale here' and i just bert stare at them.

i need to know my stuff on the fly. tests will demand this of me.
Quote by fupashredder
ya i know i definately need to start jamming. i just have crappy gear and crappy anxiety.

but i am still interested in theory tests because it would also help me learn stuff. i dont want a band member saying something like, 'play the d harmonic minor scale here' and i just bert stare at them.

I good way to "test" yourself is to apply your knowledge and abilities in the context of music.

Thats the ultimate test.... and the one that really matters.

btw, some college level theory texts come WITH tests for each section. Might be a good idea to work your way through one of those..... or actually take a class..... plenty of tests there.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 24, 2010,
just give it a shot dude..i doubt someone is gonna tell you to play the d harmonic scale..

search backing tracks theres a site for them somewhere i just dont know it right off had...

if ur not good at soloing because you dont know what to play then learn some songs by ear..easy theme songs..like robo cop which is a awesome song.

AND MOST IMPORTANT..FEEL THE MUSIC YOU GOTTA FEEL IT, I MEAN GRAB A HOLD OF IT AND HOLD IT TIGHT CRADLE IT LOVE IT AND BE IT <<<important capital letters

and dont ever never ever ever let anyone make you cry like a baby because you blew all your money on drugs...its ok
Quote by fupashredder

If you want a really simple test, go to this website and see how much of the lessons you already know.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by rockingamer2
If you want a really simple test, go to this website and see how much of the lessons you already know.

lol i am actually doing those lessons now
Quote by metalmetalhead

and dont ever never ever ever let anyone make you cry like a baby because you blew all your money on drugs...its ok

there is only one worthwhile test - composition.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Try jamming with the radio. It won't ask you to do anything - you have to decide for yourself what you have to do. It's unpredictable too - never know what song it's going to throw out.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Put your iTunes on shuffle and try to mimic melodies and rhythms that you hear as well as mentally identify them. Improvise and comp songs as well. This is a pretty good applied theory test.

Also, the Fretboard Logic series has tests at the end of every volume. Really good series for theory.
Quote by fupashredder
wondering where i could test myself on music theory. I have learned alot but i dont know how much i actually know. I need to be able to gauge where i am at.

I have been playing for 6 years and have never jammed with anyone because i feel like i dont know enough. this is a problem that i would like to gauge and fix very promptly.

I could construct a test and help you evaluate yourself. It's very easy to do as I have written so many of them.
If you've youv'e been playing for six years, youre probably really good by now. Many profession guitar players aren't masters of theory, hell all of the sollos on metallicas first album were in the G form of the pentatonic scale. Go out there and enjoy playing some music with a few friends