I've been playing acoustic about 10yrs now, and recently got myself an electric (long awaited). As I only play at home I bought a Marshall mg15fx, i end up looking at this thing like a pisshead looks at an empty beer , i havn't a clue how to get good clean sounds out of this thing.

I play a lot of rock / blues / metal on the acoustic and want to transfer these sounds to electric so i need some help/tips on how to set the amp to get a good rock sound, and maybe a good metal sound like metallica. I realise these things are more complex than simply setting up specific sounds but any help and guidelines will be much appreciated!
The problem is that you can't get a good sound out of an MG. Consider yourself Marshall roll'd.
I don't know too much about the exact settings of this particular amp. But for a "Metallica" type sound, have your gain pretty dang high, with the mids scooped out of your eq setting. That's how I usually did it. Just try experimenting with the various settings until you find what you like.
for metallica boost the bass and treble and cut the mids down low. for cleans the bridge pickup can be alittle too trebly at times so i'd play on the neck pickup for cleans.

also if you dont have a humbucker in the bridge it might be hard to get a thick sound like metallica
Last edited by adambauman31 at Jun 24, 2010,
Problem #1: Metallica uses Mesa/Boogie - rectified solid state.

Got $2000?

Didn't think so.

Problem #2: this is a 15w amp.

There is very little "setup" involved. Plug in and play.

You should be able to get some decent sounds out of this thing, but you'd have more luck recording it than using it live. With mic placement, use of analog tape and so on a smaller amp can become quite useful, but don't even try to use it with drums.

Assuming you play splendidly, 90% of your tone is your guitar anyway, so if your guitar sucks, your tone will suck. Sorry.

If you play like shit, then the best guitar and the best amp in the world will only polish the turd that is your playing.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Read my thread, i play at HOME, not live, i play a GUITAR, not drums. I do play well and i have a good guitar, man, some have a lot to say but don't really say shit huh, reminds me of polititions
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
Problem #1: Metallica uses Mesa/Boogie - rectified solid state.

Got $2000?

Didn't think so.

Problem #2: this is a 15w amp.

There is very little "setup" involved. Plug in and play.

You should be able to get some decent sounds out of this thing, but you'd have more luck recording it than using it live. With mic placement, use of analog tape and so on a smaller amp can become quite useful, but don't even try to use it with drums.

Assuming you play splendidly, 90% of your tone is your guitar anyway, so if your guitar sucks, your tone will suck. Sorry.

If you play like shit, then the best guitar and the best amp in the world will only polish the turd that is your playing.

#1 How do you know how much money TS has? It's his first electric amp. Unless he knew he was going to stick with it, and as he said he only needed a practice amp, why would he spend that much on an amp?

#2 Just cause it's a 15W amp doesn't make it "plug and play". To get a semi-good tone from a MG takes a lot more time than that $2000 MESA/Boogie.

And you're tone is majorly influenced by your amp, not guitar. You could have the worlds greatest guitar, and play through a low end amp, you're tone's not going to be all that great. But a low end guitar through a high end amp can sound great.

TS: for your Metallica tone, check out the examples in the manual. Use the metal one and tweak it to your liking. It's the tone that you find that you're gonna love, not one that someone else told you to use.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Last edited by Koshman32 at Jun 24, 2010,
why do people say stupid things on threads to bash TS's n low budget amps, but more importantly dont read the thread to begin with.

ok so your after a decent 'metallica' sound from your amp. bottom line is you wont get it. Coming from recording experiance the sound your hearing from a record is not what was recorded, it has been processed and altered to get the best sound for each track and specific parts of songs.

what i would say is just experiment.

nobody was a guitar tone god when they first started out we all had to learn and it takes time, so just play with your amp is your best bet.

also one more tip if you want a decent tone out of any amp never ever scoop the mids, mids are the main frequencys that you hear so if you scoop them out your amp will sound crap as you wont be hearing the main body of the tone just the high end and low end, which sound rubbish on there own they need mids to round them out, take out all the mids on your amp and ull see what i mean.