Hey Everyone,
I'm not sure where to post this, but the E.G. forum seemed appropriate to me. I've been saving up for a Fender Strat for a while, and finally have enough to buy one. I tried out about a dozen different models, and settled on the American Vintage '62 Reissue because I really liked the tone, and it felt/played beautifully.

I tried this guitar out a few months ago at Steve's Music in Toronto (I live about an hour away in Hamilton, ON), but when I called back they told me they had sold that particular guitar and asked me if I wanted to order it. I'm set on this guitar, so I put my order in with them last week. They told me it would take 2-3 weeks to ship it from the Corona plant. I called them up today and asked about the status. They told me that they are currently out of stock on this model, and because of the economy, Fender has laid off about 90 employees at that plant, which has really slowed down on their production (doesn't surprise me). They also told me that I can expect a 2-3 MONTH wait.

My question to all of you is: does this seem like a reasonable amount of time to build? I don't know how long the building process takes. I do however know that Fender's American Vintage series is built a lot like they were in the 50's/60's (pre-CBS era), which means a lot of original-esque tools, more hand work and less machine work, different painting/finishing process, etc. Does anyone know how long building a guitar like this would take? I figured it should take less time, but is 2-3 months an appropriate amount of time?

Thanks in advance for your input.
-JPZ
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Check with online music stores. There is bound to be some out there. I have had several good dealings with musicians friend.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
I'm not going to buy a guitar w/o playing it first, so online stores are out for me. I've also had really good experiences with Steve's in the past, so I want to give them my business. Besides, I've already put down a transferrable deposit on this one.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Quote by Jimmy_Page_Zep
I'm not going to buy a guitar w/o playing it first, so online stores are out for me. I've also had really good experiences with Steve's in the past, so I want to give them my business. Besides, I've already put down a transferrable deposit on this one.

Then you'll have to wait till they can ship you one. You either find another place to play and purchase one, or you deal with online stores.

2-3 Months seems like a long time to build a strat. I guess it all depends on how many orders are in front of yours.
If they were actually building it for you from scratch you'd be waiting about six months, so yeah, three months for a production model out of the factory is perfectly reasonable if there aren't currently any finished ones available.

Of course, you could always just go to another shop which might have one in stock.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Thanks guys. There aren't many shops in my area that deal with Fender. This store is one of the few. They told me that Fender was currently out of stock on this model, so they would probably be making it out of scratch and 2-3 months was what I could expect, although it could be sooner. I guess I'll just have to wait!
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Quote by Jimmy_Page_Zep

If push comes to shove, what you can do here is find a website where you can send the guitar back before say, 30 days, no questions asked. It might be a bit more hassle, but you'd still get to try the guitar through your own set up rather than through the shops.

Or you could see if there's any other guitar shops. Or just wait.

Either way, you'll be set
Cam Sampbell's my hero
So it's been 3 months since I first ordered this guitar, and still no word on it. I got an email from GuitarCenter today about their $250 in free gear if you spend over $1000, so I decided to look into it. GC won't ship Fender items to Canada, but they can send it to their Buffalo store, which is about 90 minutes from me. They assured me I could have this guitar in my hands in no more than 10 business days.

All tolled, If I ordered it from GC, I would get the Fender AV '62 Strat, a Shure SM-57 (with stand a cable), and a Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker for $2008.26 USD, with $250 refunded for the mic and Big Muff (works out to about $1750 USD+NY sales taxes). When I bring this across the border, I'm going to get charged Ontario's HST (13%!!!!!) on EVERYTHING (including the mic, stand, cable, and pedal), but since it's MIA, I won't get charged any duties thanks to NAFTA.

So I called Steve's music in Toronto up and gave them all this info. The guy I ordered my guitar from simply told me that he can't do anything since they're waiting on Fender. I told him to get in touch w/ Fender and get back to me about it, and he said that I'd have to wait a week or two for a response. I'm getting REALLY frustrated with Steve's. Once this whole fiasco is over, whether I end up buying this guitar from GC or Steve's, I will NEVER deal with Steve's Music again.

Anyways, what do you guys think I should do? GC's coupon expires tomorrow, but they were nice enough to give me a quote dated from today so I'd still get the $250 in accessories. Here is how it would work out, price-wise:

Steve's
Fender AV '62 Strat: $1699CAD+13%HST = $1919.87 (they have a $100 deposit, so I'd only be paying $1819.87)

Guitar Center
Strat+SM57+stand/cable+Big Muff: $2008.26USD = $2068.51CAD+8.25%NYtax+13%HST = $2508.07 - $250 GC rebate = $2258.07

OR If I just bought the guitar from GC:
Strat: $1599USD = $1646.97 +8.25%NYtax+13%HST = $1996.95

Ugh. Any other suggestions guys? Thanks
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
That's pretty normal, that guy hasn't lied to you: Fender went through a few problems over the last months. I ordered a MIA Fender in April and was told the same in my local shop, and I finally got it last week after 5 months waiting.
It doesn't matter where you order it from, if they don't have it in stock, you'll have to wait quite a bit.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby