I wouldn't say you'd wanna try it yourself, but a luthier could do a decent job of it for you.
Quote by EFGuitar
I wouldn't say you'd wanna try it yourself, but a luthier could do a decent job of it for you.

What's a luthier? Sorry, guitar n00b.
A luthier is someone who builds and modifies guitars professionally...

It's not hard but it is difficult to get the correct colour

The holes left are so small I don't know if I'd really bother, especially cause this is an LP which means there's only 2/3 holes?

HELLO!

Quote by JamesLPs
A luthier is someone who builds and modifies guitars professionally...

It's not hard but it is difficult to get the correct colour

The holes left are so small I don't know if I'd really bother, especially cause this is an LP which means there's only 2/3 holes?

Yeah, I know the holes are really small, but I'm a perfectionist in some occasions lol. I just want it to LOOK flawless. Do you know where I could contact one? Would Guitar Center do anything like this?
first off, guitar center is generally a bunch of morons who know next to nothing about guitars. I've never been there personally, but there aremore than enough stories here to convince me never to go.

secondly, you're making this alot harder than it has to be. the holes left behind are so small it doesnt justify all the work and money spent of tracking down and paying a luthier, and it isn't worth their time or yours to fill them/spot refinish.

It's better if you just get over it. I know I sound like a tool right now and I apologize for that.

and please dont bump your thread after 45 minutes. patience is a virtue.
Quote by Invader Jim
first off, guitar center is generally a bunch of morons who know next to nothing about guitars. I've never been there personally, but there aremore than enough stories here to convince me never to go.

secondly, you're making this alot harder than it has to be. the holes left behind are so small it doesnt justify all the work and money spent of tracking down and paying a luthier, and it isn't worth their time or yours to fill them/spot refinish.

It's better if you just get over it. I know I sound like a tool right now and I apologize for that.

and please dont bump your thread after 45 minutes. patience is a virtue.

Ah, I guess that all makes sense.
I didn't think anyone smart worked there anyways. When I didn't know anything about guitars, the hole for where the whammy bar is, I thought it was a hole for a screw. He said, "nah, we don't have anything that goes there. I could check for you." What the heck?!
So yeah... that makes perfect sense. Are the holes that small, though?
Quote by Invader Jim

I agree. The whole are small and not all that noticable. Having a luthier put finish over them isn't going to make them dissapear either. You will still be able to see them.
Quote by Invader Jim
well they're not microscopic, but they're not that big either. no bigger than 1/8" dia. probably more like 1/16 or 3/32

Dang. Thanks. I thought they'd be like 1/4 or something. Thanks a lot, man.
Quote by Invader Jim
1/4 would be one heck of a big screw. O.O

Yeah, I think I just looked at the photo wrong lol.
you can always put the screw that holds the pickguard on back in the hole. it will at least have something in the hole, and some people think it looks a bit cleaner.
Quote by jof1029
you can always put the screw that holds the pickguard on back in the hole. it will at least have something in the hole, and some people think it looks a bit cleaner.

Yeah, that was my plan. I was just thinking that the screws would look tacky. But seeing as how the screws won't be that big, I don't think it's that much of a problem.
Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
Is the pickguard REALLY going to piss you off that much? Paint it.

Eh, I'm just gonna take it off and put the screws back in it.
nah man, Don't even put the screw back in. On my Les Paul, I just left the holes open. If you put the screw in, they are shiny and therefore draw attention to themselves. Leave the super tiny holes (same size screw as what holds a guitar tuner in place... not sure on the dimensions, but much smaller than a regular pick guard screw) and nobody will notice them.

If you really want to fill them. Take a toothpick and dab some wood glue on the tip, then insert the tooth pick into the hole and rub the glue into the hole. Wait for it to dry, then repeat. After you are full to the top, dip the tip of a tooth pick into matching acrylic paint, and dab it on the hole. Instant patch work.

*NOTE* The screws you see in that pick guard picture aren't screwed directly into the body. They are screwed into a little bracket underneath the pick guard which keeps the pick guard elevated off the body. Those brackets are held into place with the little screws I mentioned above... once you get the guitar it will make more sense. :p
Last edited by mr.Krinkle at Jun 24, 2010,
Quote by EFGuitar

People like you just make me want to punch walls... Containing multiple babies as insulation.
Seriously, don't come to this forum...
Called GB&C and tell someone not to the the GB&Cing.

They're very small, but like you said, you're anal about this stuff. Check out Stewmac, I think they have a tutorial on there. Check their "Free information" on the side of the page.
..I was watching my death.
you can just take the pick guard off i have a friend that has a les paul standard i think?
but anyway you cant even notice them for a distance
i wouldent waste the money to get like 3 littel wholes filled
and a Les Paul is always beautiful
If it's a solid finish like white or ebony, sure, fill it in and spot finish it.
If it's a burst, you will likely end up with more work/money in covering the hole than you would in moving to a higher end LP or LP copy that does not come factory with a pickguard.

All three of my Les Pauls came factory with pickguards. I have removed the pickguards from all of them. You can't tell unless you're specifically looking for the holes.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Just drill a bunch more holes in it to make it match ;D
Quote by genghisgandhi
make the bass more bassy

Quote by grohl1987
You really like input jacks, don't you?

My Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Greg Bennett Acoustic