Poll Options
View poll results: Do u believe?
Yes
22 14%
No
140 86%
Voters: 162.
Page 1 of 2
So I was just thinking back the two movies The Exorcist and Exorcism of Emily Rose and I was curious about this stuff. I was looking up some of this stuff and the history of it. Do you think this stuff is real? Personally, I do not believe that these people were possessed by satan. I do believe that this is an extremely rare and unknown mental illness.
THIS IS MY SIG. BE JEALOUS.
Last edited by salrap10 at Jun 24, 2010,
No.
all I ever wanted was to pick apart the day
put the pieces back together my way
no because if i do then i'll get possessed next >.>
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
No, it's perfectly explainable mostly and when it's not explainable we just don't know it fully. There's nothing supernatural about the behaviour some people label as being "possessed".
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I agree with your statement. Those girls were just sick but we are led to believe that they were possessed thanks to the over-religious folks.
Yes

highly

I hope to be possessed one day just to see how it feels
I know it's a fucked up dream but it's mine
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
They were possessed.

By Parkinson's.

OOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Those who have crossed
With direct eyes, to death's other Kingdom
Remember us - if at all - not as lost
Violent souls, but only
As the hollow men
The stuffed men.
I don't believe in the devil...so no.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
my boss saw a woman in africa rip apart a very large wire from a transformer right in half. it took 10 guys just to drag the wire in, so yeah. believe it or not.
Nope. The fairies on the other hand.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
I believe that we have only cracked upon the universe that is the human mind, yet the disorders which plague it have been with us since the beginning of time (or at least of the mind's perception of it.)

That said, we currently view Bi-Polar or Obsessive-Compulsive as medical conditions requiring treatment, but imagine where we would be had the likes of Edgar Allen Poe or Albert Einstein been treated?

How much art or scientific enlightenment is the product of madness?

And how much of religion is simply a catalog of our own collective experience with the fragile fabric of sanity?

I have seen, heard and experienced things that cannot be explained via the ordinary, Physical means, which date roughly to the 1700's in terms of the properties of light, sound and the behaviors of macroscopic objects in our surroundings. Our understanding of things has deepened a thousand-fold since Newtonian mechanics, yet we still process our experiences using a very primitive cause-and-effect sort of mindset.

If it doesn't fit the 4th or 5th-grade level of understanding we all supposedly possess, then it is discounted as fiction, or tossed by the wayside as "occult" or "religious," or otherwise ignored by the mainstream.

But I assert to you that these things are very real, and we will find, I'm quite certain, that madness is not the unfortunate state of the few, but rather a constant companion to us all. All that you know must come to you through the filter of your mind, so who is to say from whence the information came?

In other words, twisting somewhere behind the eyes of every man, is the potential for demonic behavior, for unthinkable acts and unforgivable cruelty. Fortunately most of the time we have a switch, a safeguarding system that says, "STOP!! Don't drive off the bridge! Don't drop the baby on the sidewalk!" or whatever sick and twisted thoughts happen our way.

Those who deny them only fancy themselves sane. They are lying to themselves if they believe they do not encounter, as I'm sure we all do, the voice of chaos and destruction, that desire to stick your foot in the front wheel of your bike halfway down the hill, just to find out what it's like.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

people in asian/african countries are more open to this kind of stuff because it's more common elsewhere. you hear many stories from non-english people about being controlled by spirits etc. and it's generally more accepted as truth and people are believed to know how to get someone to be possessed.
whether it's true or not, i can't say for sure, but there's no reason to make it up either and i've heard first hand experiences from people i trust. it's not a big deal to them because it's a part of life, but it's a big deal to english people because there's nothing like that that ever happens here.
Quote by Meths

I don't think any words should be censored.

Especially faggot since homos aren't real people and all.

Quote by sam b
Man City wont win anything and finish below Arsenal.

city: 3rd + FA cup winners.
arsenal: 4th
Quote by Bubonic Chronic

In other words, twisting somewhere behind the eyes of every man, is the potential for demonic behavior, for unthinkable acts and unforgivable cruelty. Fortunately most of the time we have a switch, a safeguarding system that says, "STOP!! Don't drive off the bridge! Don't drop the baby on the sidewalk!" or whatever sick and twisted thoughts happen our way.

That's just human nature. All we need is an authority figure and we'll do basically whatever they want.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

In Zen there is a practice that has recently been called "Big Mind," but has been around for centuries. It's their version of the "possession" ritual, but rather than believing a foreign spirit has entered and is taking control, it is seen as a way of communicating with fractured pieces of the psyche.

There is generally a "Child soul" who is very vulnerable, and needs constant reassurance.

There is a defensive self, a rebellious self, a self who is more spiritual and contemplative in nature, more reflective...

The experiences vary, of course, but the overall goal is to recognize, and begin to address, the fact that these various aspects of the Self are a part of the same Self, and that ultimately we are all part of a larger Being, something deeper and more fundamental than who we are individually.

It sounds very strange, but it seems they have come further than Western Psychology in some ways, and without labeling people as diseased.

You could potentially learn about and work with a "mad" inner self that has a brilliant scientific streak. Perhaps it would normally lead to alcoholism and isolation, but under strict meditative practice could instead be incorporated into a more well-adjusted and complete Self, capable of the intellectual or artistic creations, but not held back by the limitations of that particular piece.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Quote by xXMetal-HeadXx
my boss saw a woman in africa rip apart a very large wire from a transformer right in half. it took 10 guys just to drag the wire in, so yeah. believe it or not.

Source: my boss, who was told this story by someone who had heard it from someone who had seen it/heard it from someone who(...)was told that something involving a woman and some wires happened somewhere in Africa.

OT: no.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
In Zen there is a practice that has recently been called "Big Mind," but has been around for centuries. It's their version of the "possession" ritual, but rather than believing a foreign spirit has entered and is taking control, it is seen as a way of communicating with fractured pieces of the psyche.

There is generally a "Child soul" who is very vulnerable, and needs constant reassurance.

There is a defensive self, a rebellious self, a self who is more spiritual and contemplative in nature, more reflective...

The experiences vary, of course, but the overall goal is to recognize, and begin to address, the fact that these various aspects of the Self are a part of the same Self, and that ultimately we are all part of a larger Being, something deeper and more fundamental than who we are individually.

It sounds very strange, but it seems they have come further than Western Psychology in some ways, and without labeling people as diseased.

You could potentially learn about and work with a "mad" inner self that has a brilliant scientific streak. Perhaps it would normally lead to alcoholism and isolation, but under strict meditative practice could instead be incorporated into a more well-adjusted and complete Self, capable of the intellectual or artistic creations, but not held back by the limitations of that particular piece.

Carl Jung believed the same things. His mysticism is pretty well debunked as crackpottery, but you might be interested in giving it a checking out.

See: Collective unconscious, individuation.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by untalented
people in asian/african countries are more open to this kind of stuff because it's more common elsewhere. you hear many stories from non-english people about being controlled by spirits etc. and it's generally more accepted as truth and people are believed to know how to get someone to be possessed.
whether it's true or not, i can't say for sure, but there's no reason to make it up either and i've heard first hand experiences from people i trust. it's not a big deal to them because it's a part of life, but it's a big deal to english people because there's nothing like that that ever happens here.

that's because people in those parts of the world have less access to a psychiatrist who can properly diagnose them, instead of a witch doctor who proscribes them ground tiger testes to excorcise a demon...

to anwser the TS question, hell no.
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
Quote by Mechanixx
that's because people in those parts of the world have less access to a psychiatrist who can properly diagnose them, instead of a witch doctor who proscribes them ground tiger testes to excorcise a demon...

to anwser the TS question, hell no.

one of those people is a qualified doctor....
and they are educated in this country as well, but have lived in other countries.
i think you're the narrow minded one tbh and that was a bit of a racist remark to suggest the superiorness of your country and the peoples state of mind within it.
but wtf do i care whether you believe it or not? it doesn't affect either of us either way because you'll probably never encounter anything like it yourself. just carry on not believing it for all i care.
Quote by Meths

Quote by sam b

Normally I'd be open minded but I'm stunned that anyone today can actually believe that this shit is real. Good job pit for further lowering my expectations of humanity.
Quote by untalented
one of those people is a qualified doctor....
and they are educated in this country as well, but have lived in other countries.
i think you're the narrow minded one tbh and that was a bit of a racist remark to suggest the superiorness of your country and the peoples state of mind within it.
but wtf do i care whether you believe it or not? it doesn't affect either of us either way because you'll probably never encounter anything like it yourself. just carry on not believing it for all i care.

No it wasn't. It's a fact that poorer places have less access to proper education in general and the poorer the country the worse the help for people there will be. You'll notice most superstitions like this exist in poor and rural areas because people have no good explanation so they cling to a mythological one.

In fact , the 'guys boss' story above is a perfect example of how myths and probably a lot of religious tales get started. Some 'guy' who knew a guy who knew a guy saw some person somewhere far away have this stuff happen and they swear it's real. The story gets passed on, things get adapted.

I'd put a bet on it that african story has a tiny bit of truth to it and the rest has been added as the story got passed. People have a habit of adding stuff to stories to make them more interesting, someone getting mad and breaking something ends up with them being 'possessed by the devil' and doing super human stuff.
Be careful you guys, OP is the Devil in disguise and anyone who votes no will get possessed!
No gods or kings. There is only zuul.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now police, fire, and EMS vehicle's sirens sound in tritones. Suck it Christians, your protectors are satans minions.

I have been sigged by UG's Greek, what have YOU done today?
Quote by Zoot Allures
No it wasn't. It's a fact that poorer places have less access to proper education in general and the poorer the country the worse the help for people there will be. You'll notice most superstitions like this exist in poor and rural areas because people have no good explanation so they cling to a mythological one.

if you didn't pick up on the derogatory nature of his post then i'm not going to bother arguing with you tbh.
Quote by Meths

Quote by sam b

Quote by untalented
if you didn't pick up on the derogatory nature of his post then i'm not going to bother arguing with you tbh.

It wasn't derogatory. He was telling the truth and sometimes the truth hurts. The beliefs are a product of lack of education or ignorance (example: creationists)
Years ago, I really couldn't explain it. Then I learned about how mental illness of a "possessed" person could cause people to believe their loved one is possessed, which makes sense to me.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
Page 1 of 2