Hi, thanks for the comment - I'll try and 'perfect' that solo! Must... be... perfect...
I have experimented with guitar rig and pod farm - but I found that if you spend enough time tweaking settings with each, you can get great tones with them. I'd recommend either!

I've critted your piece btw, check your thread if you already haven't
I hear no mistakes, the tone is good, good quality, overall very good cover, upload it to youtube!
Haha, thanks!
... But I went a little overboard and kind of recorded a better version.
I'm doing the video editing now, so i'll stick the full version here later on.

Thanks for the comment!
AJ
I've added the final youtube file if anyone wants to see - i'm quite happy with the result
that was really good
was listening to it while playing a game and forgot that I was listening to a cover
Haha, thank you! Means a lot
Perhaps I should do more of these multi-guitar covers then? I guess the only drawback to that was the video editing, where I had to constantly import and export in imovie to do the multiple screens.

...I've really got to learn how to use final cut!

Thanks a lot!
AJ
Thanks! I'm thinking of covering some queen next... would you recommend any particular song that I could do with multi-cams? Any song, because all queen songs are awesome!
Thank you! But I just been told that I got the main riff wrong...
Anyone who's heard the song agree? I think it's timing, and accenting the notes during the main riff.
I won't lie, I don't like Muse, so sitting through this was a little difficult. But you made it bearable with the editing and quality. The harmonies were nice, everything seemed spot on and it seems like this took a good amount of effort, good job.
Poop.

Yes, poop.
Quote by ankthebank
Thanks! I'm thinking of covering some queen next... would you recommend any particular song that I could do with multi-cams? Any song, because all queen songs are awesome!

Do One Vision or Hammer to Fall.

That was a great cover. I have never heard the original but I can't imagine it being much better than that.
I know this song pretty well, I think you played it well. It is a little hard to tell though because you're playing along with the original song, and the original song is so loud that it's unclear what guitar is yours, and what is the original (unless you've removed the original guitar through magic or something).

Otherwise keep up the good work. Not a criticism but this seems a little too easy for you :P
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I know this song pretty well, I think you played it well. It is a little hard to tell though because you're playing along with the original song, and the original song is so loud that it's unclear what guitar is yours, and what is the original (unless you've removed the original guitar through magic or something).

Otherwise keep up the good work. Not a criticism but this seems a little too easy for you :P

Thanks - I actually used a guitar backing track with vocals, so all guitars are me
Yeah, I thought it was relatively simple. But I wanted to do something with different guitars and harmonies and I love the song - so a perfect fit

Thanks for the comment!
Hi, thanks for your comment on my cover of the end of the line !

Your cover is really good, I don't see any mistake. I haven't heard the song before, but it seems spot on. You have a pretty good tone, and the video editing is very nice.

Good job !

I have an original song (which is actually just an idea) and I'd like some feedbacks about it, if you want to hear it, it's here : https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1329383

You can also critic my other covers on Youtube if you want : http://www.youtube.com/user/MetallicGuitarAlex20
Leave it to me to be critical! The playing was great and spot on accurate, as for the main riff thing....Really, it doesn't matter...the purpose of a cover is to make it your own, and even if its wrong it still sounds terrific and fits. The tone is good, but the overall mix leaves something to be desired. This very well could be because of the compression in YouTube and the fact that it squashes everything, but it just seems really "centered"

The playing though is spot on, and the feel is great, all in all dude great job with the work!

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1330864
Thanks for the comments, I 'c4c'ed your links.
I agree with you about the entire mix - I have to use my cpu speakers and headphones to do it... and it's not perfect. But I guess it's good enough for a youtube cover.
I'll try and improve my mixing for my next cover - Should I pan each of my guitars? Would that make it feel less 'centred'?

Thanks,
AJ
Yeah man absolutely, I use a general rule of thumb when recording guitar tracks and it varies depending on the style of music I'm doing but for example the distorted stuff in Dance with the Devil I used two seperate guitar tones panned like this...

Left 1 80
Left 2 60
Right 1 80
Right 2 60
Bass R-30 (minimal phase delay to ping pong to the left)
Hey, the links you gave me in my thread din't work so i looked for yours. You got some really really good guitar going on here and it creates and interesting effect. I think it might be worth turning them down a little so they fot a bit nicer though. Other than that if you want an insane effect to try you could put an auto panner on, so have the main guitar dead centre, and then have the harmonies trading in and out, it could be interesting, wether it sounds good, well, you'll have to make your own mind up (http://www.meldaproduction.com/freevstplugins/mautopan.php Melda have a free plugin if you needed one) other than that the guitar playing was impecable and a real nice cover bro
Oooh, thanks for those settings and that link - I'll play around with them, could add another dimension to my recordings!
Tell me if you would like me to crit any of your stuff
The playing is great. Like previously said,the guitars sound centered, very mono. Have you hard panned them ? (100%L - 100%R). Also, they somewhat lack presence. Are you using speaker cabinet impulses ? What's your recording setup ?
hi ankthebank,

haven't heard you do this one before. it's an awesome tune and your guitars sounds great. love the grit and thick tone. cool video too. great stuff man
[img]http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/1020/graggersigapril1709lowq.jpg[/img]
Thanks for the comments!

@ Darkshade666, I used 'pod farm' for recording - I accidentally stuck a 'JS' guitar wah plugin from reaper on the main track, and it sounded pretty good so I left it there. Maybe that's why it lacks presence. I'll work on that for my next recording

@ gragger, thanks for the compliments! Anything you would like me to comment on?
Hmm, i can't decide between these...

i) One vision (Queen) Guitar Cover
ii) Hammer to fall (Queen) Guitar + Vox Cover
iii) Soaked (Muse) Piano, Violin + Vox Cover

What do you think?
Very nice cover, I especially like the editing on the youtube-video, the angle from behind is badass. Also, i really like the tone.
The only thing thing that springs to mind is the opening riff. I've always figured it went:

12-0-13-0-12-0-10-12-

But it sounds like you play:

12-0-13-0-12-0-10-0

I might just as well be wrong though.
Anyhow, awesome!

C4C necrobump on my old voodo-child jam? (Song is on my profile, the link in my post is dead)
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1268447
¯|(°_o)/¯
it's awesome in my opinion, I was trying to play that song and your cover helped me on hao to play it, If you can comment my wierd I'm the Walrus (Beatles) cover I'll be very glad, link:https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1272544&highlight=walrus+live+twice

ps.:I play the opening riff like you, and in my opinion it sounds better than the original riff.
Thanks a lot! I've commented on your cover of 'I'm the Walrus'... and also I've suggested you to someone who needs vocals for their cover of the same song.

By the way, I'm going to post a poll of my future options so that this thread can still continue just for that video cover.

Thanks,
AJ
I'm not gonna lie, I'm a major Muse fan, so I'm going to be really hard on you with this. You definitely had the main riff wrong, and it really turned me off to the cover in general because of that. I also didn't really like what you did during the verse, trying to add in some sort of harmony you know? I also didn't like how you palm muted the entire chorus part. It made it feel really...dull. The solo wasn't terrible, although you make the same mistake with the end part of the solo that you do with the main riff.

A few things I did think were alright were such things as the tone and the outro. I liked the little twang you added after the first play through of the outro. You did a decent job on the cover, but as I said I just really couldn't get past those other things, so it wasn't exactly enjoyable for me. Hope you don't take it personally, that's just my opinion. Other than that, nice job.
Quote by Snuffles
You are an absolute god, offspring_punk

Quote by drop-dead666
You're a retard, read Scourges posts. There is already a system folder, why do I need a system32.
Quote by offspring_punk
I'm not gonna lie, I'm a major Muse fan, so I'm going to be really hard on you with this. You definitely had the main riff wrong, and it really turned me off to the cover in general because of that. I also didn't really like what you did during the verse, trying to add in some sort of harmony you know? I also didn't like how you palm muted the entire chorus part. It made it feel really...dull. The solo wasn't terrible, although you make the same mistake with the end part of the solo that you do with the main riff.

A few things I did think were alright were such things as the tone and the outro. I liked the little twang you added after the first play through of the outro. You did a decent job on the cover, but as I said I just really couldn't get past those other things, so it wasn't exactly enjoyable for me. Hope you don't take it personally, that's just my opinion. Other than that, nice job.

Ok cool - thanks for the detailed crit, this will help a lot in the future
Yep, after uploading did I realise the main riff was wrong, but aren't there harmonies in the verse in the actual recording?

Thanks again for taking the time to crit on my performance,
AJ
Quote by ankthebank
Ok cool - thanks for the detailed crit, this will help a lot in the future
Yep, after uploading did I realise the main riff was wrong, but aren't there harmonies in the verse in the actual recording?

Thanks again for taking the time to crit on my performance,
AJ

I don't think there are harmonies in the verse. Matt plays everything himself. From what I know most of Muse's stuff only has the 1 guitar in it almost all the time. He plays everything himself as far as I know. This may not be true for all songs, but for Stockholm I'm almost 100% positive it's just one guitar playing everything.
Quote by Snuffles
You are an absolute god, offspring_punk

Quote by drop-dead666
You're a retard, read Scourges posts. There is already a system folder, why do I need a system32.
Quote by offspring_punk
I don't think there are harmonies in the verse. Matt plays everything himself. From what I know most of Muse's stuff only has the 1 guitar in it almost all the time. He plays everything himself as far as I know. This may not be true for all songs, but for Stockholm I'm almost 100% positive it's just one guitar playing everything.

Yep, there's one guitar definitely - I don't know if he plays harmonies, but whatever he does play it's good!
Thanks for watching