Page 1 of 3
I think it is. And I ****ing hate it when it happens.

My mother is an asian woman, my dad is a white man. I was raised in overwhelmingly white area and pretty much all of my friends growing up were white. Add in the fact that i've always identified more with my dad than my mom and I've grown up in America, not in Asia which makes me much more culturally white/American more than anything. I realize i'm genetically at 50/50, but I always considered myself to be a little more white for the reasons listed above.

I'm in college now, and whenever I meet some other asian person at a party or in class or something, I ALWAYS will get asked what my race is. Over the course of about two years this has happened about 10 times, and each time it's another asian person asking me about this. I just don't really being put on the spot about what my race is, or why that's even a question that floats in another persons head in the first place. When two black people meet each other, does one of them ask the other "So, what country in Africa are you from?". Or when two white people meet each other, does the question "So, what kind of European are you?" ever come up (I would assume most people here are white, do you ever honestly ask this question to another white person?).

Do you think this is rude? I think it is and I wish it would stop.
Last edited by TheInstigator at Jun 24, 2010,
They're interested, and you're being a tool.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

If you somewhat know them and ask polity, seems legit to me.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
It's not even a big deal. At least they aren't asking what your gender is.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Quote by captaincrunk
You're racist, judging from your post.

^This.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
That never happens in sweden
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
No, it's not rude.
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B Areceive bacon

Gamertag: Seanslaught
PSN: BeastlyBassist
Steam: Beastly396
Quote by Kensai

But that's because you're all swedish. even your damn delicious fish.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

I find it annoying cause I'd never ask that question to anyone else.
10 times in 2 years? Wow, how difficult that must be for you.
Check out my band Disturbed
I don't think I'd get offended, but my ethnicity isn't visually obvious. I suppose I would get offended if people asked me based on my appearance.

Quote by Kensai

What about Saamis? People don't ask about that?
Quote by captaincrunk
You sound like you wish you were white. "I've always felt white, but everyone asks me what kind of asian I am, and that depresses me "

i don't like being put on a different standard. race shouldn't be a big deal, so it shouldn't need to be brought up. especially if i don't even know you.
it could be because you look mix? no, its not racist, but when the person is so off with the race, it makes me laugh of how little they know the countries and people of the world.
LOL
That isn't rude, I'm sure they are curious.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
what's wrong with being considered asian? i'm half chinese, half white. i consider myself both. it doesn't make a difference.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
When having sex i realise my penis is of small nature.

Quote by Demon Wolf
I got a similar thing from playing too much Pokemon.

Magikarpal tunnel.
be polite, chinky
Quote by jimmyled
You have a Badger Song avatar!!!!!

Quote by Oprah
VAJAYJAY

Monkey Ball Sack

Eh nobody has to question me, so they never do really. Sometimes when people don't know much about me they might ask where my name originates from but that's about it.

Calm down though TS, they're just curious.
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
Why do people even want to know?

Quote by fearofthemark
But that's because you're all swedish. even your damn delicious fish.

That's not true. Some fish come from way out in the atlantic ocean.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by slipmaggot93
what's wrong with being considered asian? i'm half chinese, half white. i consider myself both. it doesn't make a difference.

there's nothing wrong with being considered asian. that's not my point i'm making.
Quote by TheInstigator
I think it is. And I ****ing hate it when it happens.

My mother is an asian woman, my dad is a white man. I was raised in overwhelmingly white area and pretty much all of my friends growing up were white. Add in the fact that i've always identified more with my dad than my mom and I've grown up in America, not in Asia which makes me much more culturally white/American more than anything. I realize i'm genetically at 50/50, but I always considered myself to be a little more white for the reasons listed above.

I'm in college now, and whenever I meet some other asian person at a party or in class or something, I ALWAYS will get asked what my race is. Over the course of about two years this has happened about 10 times, and each time it's another asian person asking me about this. I just don't really being put on the spot about what my race is, or why that's even a question that floats in another persons head in the first place. When two black people meet each other, does one of them ask the other "So, what country in Africa are you from?". Or when two white people meet each other, does the question "So, what kind of European are you?" ever come up (I would assume most people here are white, do you ever honestly ask this question to another white person?).

Do you think this is rude? I think it is and I wish it would stop.

Exactly that! Lmao, my Dad is German actually, I associate with his identity more than my mother's.
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
Wow TS sounds like a little racist b1tch. You wish you were white and find it offensive that others ask what ethnicity you are. You were also asked this 10 times in 2 years??? Wow, your life must be so hard. ******* puss
hey im part mexican and very slight asian (grandfather)
and even then i get asked all the time
its not problem just answer people are curious
and its only like 10 times in 2 years
I totally identify with my mother's ethnicity more. I mean, I know there's that other half, but I like to pretend I'm not dark skinned. So when people act like I'm black I get really pissed off. Just because I look like I'm black (black skin, hair, and eyes) doesn't make me black!
Also, it is pretty damn obvious that people are curious about what you are. I can't possibly see how anyone could be stupid enugh to think that is offensive and rude. Cry me a river.
From the viewpoint of someone who likes to ask this:

I always like to ask people what their ethnicity/nationality is. I do it simply out of curiosity, fascination of other cultures, and to learn more about the background of that person, where their parents are from, etc. It doesn't matter if the fully identify with their background culture or not, I don't judge people based on their answer.
Because we seperate... it ripples our reflections.
.snoitcelfer ruo selppir ti...etarepes ew esuaceB
Quote by DudE132
Wow TS sounds like a little racist b1tch. You wish you were white and find it offensive that others ask what ethnicity you are. You were also asked this 10 times in 2 years??? Wow, your life must be so hard. ******* puss

yes, i'm racist against asian people

where did i ever say i wish i was white? all i said was that i've always identified more with my white father growing up, so that means i wish i was white? go **** off.
Oh Em Gee, you know what REALLY grinds my gears?

When people find out that I was born in Russia, they always say "Oh, you speak very good english!" It's as if everyone assumes that all russian people are exactly like the terrorists and mafia members you see as the bad guys in every hollywood movie. Dey expekt me to tolk sumfink laik dis. Why do people look down on Russia? Why do people love stereotyping so much?

Ok, that doesn't actually offend me, but if you're allowed to rant, then so am I.
Quote by TheInstigator
yes, i'm racist against asian people

where did i ever say i wish i was white? all i said was that i've always identified more with my white father growing up, so that means i wish i was white? go **** off.

lol. You are obviously offended when people ask a simple question like "what ethnicity are you?" You're the one complaining.
It's not often i do this but.....

Straighten the **** up! Come on, its not that big of a bother. People are curious and people will ask you, it's part of the way we freaking communicate.
HAHA, no seriously. What DO you use a signature for?
It is okay just to make conversation with somebody when you don't know what to talk about, but I wouldn't go up to random people and ask them their ethnicity.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
its not a big deal, they are simply just wondering, 10 times in 2 years? that's not actually that much, unless they are snarling at you and making racist comments then its really not a big deal simply asking for what your race is, you say it shouldn't be a big deal, its not, your making a mountain out of a mole hill my friend
Quote by DudE132
Also, it is pretty damn obvious that people are curious about what you are. I can't possibly see how anyone could be stupid enugh to think that is offensive and rude. Cry me a river.

why should people be curious in the first place? that's the point i'm making dickhead.

and it's rude when i don't know you and you're just some random person i know in class or at a party.
Quote by TheInstigator
why should people be curious in the first place? that's the point i'm making dickhead.

and it's rude when i don't know you and you're just some random person i know in class or at a party.

See? You're just stupid, no need to worry. You might grow out of it soon
Page 1 of 3