Page 3 of 3
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
No but it's not like it matters.

"So Suzie, are you English?"
"Well no actually my great grandpa is Saami Norwegian and my mum is half American so I'm 1/4 Norwegian and American and Welsh"

"so Suzie, are you English?"
"yeah."

which conversation was easier there?

Seriously people who go on about being a quarter this and a quarter that are just silly. If your parents moved to America from Poland that's one thing, but otherwise it's like all these Americans with a greatgreatgreatgreat grandpa from Ireland getting tattoos of shamrocks and shit

The best one was the American Imet that was convinced he was Irish because his great-great-great-great-grandma or so was Irish.

I'm a first generation English, having a Dutch Dad and a Scottish born, half German mother. People find the mix interesting to talk about for some reason. Especially when it comes to my mum's side, as mum's mum left Germany during WWII and helped break the Enigma code for the allies. Yet she was still shunned by many over here and many people she came across when she visited Germany again (to the point where she would be interrogated and searched with firearms trained at her on train lines).

All in all, it isn't rude at all to ask. It shows interest in a person and you can learn so much from other people based on where they've come from.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
People who talk about the genetics of their greatgreat grandparents are really boring. I'd probably have walked away after "well no actually my great grandp..."

I agree with you.

I am American. So what if I have supposed distant Spanish, English, French, Native American, etc... relatives? It doesn't show anyway. My dad's name isn't Pierre and my mom's isn't Aponi.

One thing that does piss me off though is my grandmother is in love with the Amish and since we have a few Amish ancestors she loves to fucking insist that I have Amish in me. FUUUUUUUU-
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
No but it's not like it matters.

"So Suzie, are you English?"
"Well no actually my great grandpa is Saami Norwegian and my mum is half American so I'm 1/4 Norwegian and American and Welsh"

Are you actually a saami? Do you identify, or know anything about, with the Saami culture?

This has nothing to do with the thread, I'm just curious to find out how the Saamis actually are seeing as I share a country with them
Quote by pwnerer
Are you actually a saami? Do you identify, or know anything about, with the Saami culture?

This has nothing to do with the thread, I'm just curious to find out how the Saamis actually are seeing as I share a country with them

Nope, nope and yeah I know stories and have witchdrums but nothing to write home about.

That's why I don't see any point. I'm not a reindeer herder, I don't speak Saami or even Norwegian, I don't even really look Saami, so why tell people about it?

I drink tea and grumble a lot, I'm English

Although I do think the Saami culture is pretty cool.
My mom is Norwegian and my dad is turkish. I've never been to Turkey and I can't understand shit what they say, so therefore I consider myself norwegian, I also speak in a thick norwegian accent which makes me sound very old fashioned whenever I visit the capital city of Norway etc. The funny thing is that I don't look norwegian and once in a while foreigners come to me and speak nonsense languages and im like "Veit du ka æ skjønn itj skitn av d du sir!". They didn't even ask me where im from, they just expect me to speak in a alien language.

That's why asking about your ethnicity is good!
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Nope, nope and yeah I know stories and have witchdrums but nothing to write home about.

That's why I don't see any point. I'm not a reindeer herder, I don't speak Saami or even Norwegian, I don't even really look Saami, so why tell people about it?

I drink tea and grumble a lot, I'm English

Although I do think the Saami culture is pretty cool.

'It's not where you're from, it's where you're at.'
Quote by captaincrunk
I like tea and gambling, does that make me British too?

It makes you half british half gypsy.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by captaincrunk
I like tea and gambling, does that make me British too?

Sure, if you can get yourself a passport and a healthy dislike for any kind of weather
If I'm friends with them and just don't know, I'm not afraid to ask. I wouldn't go up to someone I've never met and do it though.

I know a Chinese guy named Jacky Chan (no relation to the star), and I'm always asking him in a southern drawl, "What kind of Chinese are you again?" But it's all in good fun.
I don't see why it should be rude? I think the general consensus has become a bit oversensitive on this point. People think that merely noticing the fact that someone is from another ethnicity is already concidered racism, which is ridicilous. It only becomes racism if you start judging people on it.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
[quote="'-[NiL"]-']If I'm friends with them and just don't know, I'm not afraid to ask. I wouldn't go up to someone I've never met and do it though.

I know a Chinese guy named Jacky Chan (no relation to the star), and I'm always asking him in a southern drawl, "What kind of Chinese are you again?" But it's all in good fun.

WIN.
It might just be curiosity. Nothing to get that upset over.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
I spent a long time in college blissfully unaware that one of my mates was Asian. I wasn't alone however. It only dawned on us when we were having a conversation about spicy foods and she said "Ironically, I don't like curry". Confused, someone else asked why it was ironic and she replied "because I'm Asian...".

To be fair, she does have bright blue shortish hair. We just assumed she was really tanned.
Quote by TheInstigator
I think it is. And I ****ing hate it when it happens.

My mother is an asian woman, my dad is a white man. I was raised in overwhelmingly white area and pretty much all of my friends growing up were white. Add in the fact that i've always identified more with my dad than my mom and I've grown up in America, not in Asia which makes me much more culturally white/American more than anything. I realize i'm genetically at 50/50, but I always considered myself to be a little more white for the reasons listed above.

When you meet people do you tell them that or do you expect them to know?

Quote by TheInstigator

I'm in college now, and whenever I meet some other asian person at a party or in class or something, I ALWAYS will get asked what my race is. Over the course of about two years this has happened about 10 times, and each time it's another asian person asking me about this. I just don't really being put on the spot about what my race is, or why that's even a question that floats in another persons head in the first place. When two black people meet each other, does one of them ask the other "So, what country in Africa are you from?". Or when two white people meet each other, does the question "So, what kind of European are you?" ever come up (I would assume most people here are white, do you ever honestly ask this question to another white person?).

So what you are saying is that someone thinks you look Asian but not completely and you get angry when they ask, even though it is another asian which includes yourself? Is being identified as a European man that important? Or do you want people to just think of you as a white man?

Because my observations tell me that when two black people or white people meet each other they really don't care unless they have some different feature they aren't used to seeing.

Quote by TheInstigator
Do you think this is rude? I think it is and I wish it would stop.

It is only rude if they ask you and then call you the "correct" derogatory term after or something so.

End point, they are making small talk with you? No need to get angry TS.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
It's not rude, but I could see why oit'd get annoying if you got asked it at least 11 times in 2 years. Anything less than that often is just being a touchy bastard.
I don't think it's rude at all. You just sound like an asshole.
Current favourite bands:
METALLICA
MASTODON
NILE
I'll ask anyone of any race where they're from if I pick up on them having an accent or something that shows that they themselves emigrated to America from some other country. If it's just someone's ethnicity and they seem more or less like any old American I just ignore it, unless I ask a friend out of curiosity.

Sometimes people are just trying to make conversation, it's not like they are asking so that they can judge, especially considering most were asians themselves.
HEEEEEEEEYYYYYYY YOUUUU GUYYYYYYSSSS
Quote by TheInstigator
are these people you actually know or friends with? if so, i don't have a problem, I don't mind people I know asking me, but if i don't know you, then it's a problem.

The answer is both. It has come up in conversation with people I'm very good friend with, but also in making small talk at a social event.

So I guess what I would say to you now, TS, is this: if anyone asks you about your ethnicity, they are not trying to be rude (unless they're clearly speaking down to you); they are merely curious. After all, building a relationship with another person is begun by talking, most of the time.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
I met a guy last night. He had an accent I couldn't quite place. I can usually nail them in seconds. (The accent you pervs) I asked him where he was from. Actually I said "Dude yer not from around here are you?"
He was from Montreal. A French accent with a bunch of Eh's thrown in. We then commenced to talk about hockey. Well I did. Turns out he didn't like hockey. I told him I understand why they booted your ass out.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
What? God no. I hate how people will take something as racist simply if it involves discussion of race. It's a complete joke.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Not rude: From which nation(s) do you trace your ancestry?
Rude: Are you a ******?
Quote by larrytheguitar

I put the blanket over me and make my knees into a 'tent' so he couldn't see my boner. I jizzed while he gave me a lecture on using coasters.

BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
i've been jamming with my band for months and am still too shy to ask the singer what his race is.

ps

i think he's japanese
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
slightly off topic, but when people find out I have Irish ancestry, they try to pour drinks in me. They say I'll handle it fine because of my "Irish blood." This is one reason why I don't bring it up unless directly asked. That and I don't think of it as being important. Though I can't understand taking offense when asked. That's just silly.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Quote by TheInstigator

My mother is an asian woman, my dad is a white man. I was raised in overwhelmingly white area and pretty much all of my friends growing up were white. Add in the fact that i've always identified more with my dad than my mom and I've grown up in America, not in Asia which makes me much more culturally white/American more than anything. I realize i'm genetically at 50/50, but I always considered myself to be a little more white for the reasons listed above.

same situation as me, but im in england.

in my opinion, you're making it harder for people like me/us to intergrate in the societies our families chose to (or were forced to) live in. you're also making it harder for white people to ask and learn. if they cant learn about us, if they feel uncomfortable talking to us about race and cultural differences for fear of being un-PC then how we possibly expect them to accept and treat us as equals.
of course white people get pissed off and feel ostracised in their own nations, they cant even ask where you're from without you calling them racist.

my friend thought i was mexican for the first few months of knowing her, she only found out the truth when i mentioned my bangladeshi mum's cooking! it was never a real issue, but it bothered me that she felt unable to just ask despite her curiosity. now we joke about and call each other names and make fun of each others cultures and all is comfortable. she asks about our food and religions and languages and has come to realise that we aren't all so highly strung and not all so prone to grouping together.

unfortunately, some ARE that highly strung still. which is why i feel you're ruining everything ever for anyone anywhere

(that being said, i was asked if i was in the taliban yesterday. there's unhelpful parties on both sides of this )

Quote by IbanezSA160a

Not rude: From which nation(s) do you trace your ancestry?
Rude: Are you a ******?

tl;dr - pretty much this actually.
Last edited by danielh123. at Jun 24, 2010,
I don't care when people ask me. I just say "I'm half Persian." and then people think I've got this mysterious magical Aladdin-like background and some girls actually find it quite attractive. Whereas if I said "I'm half Iranian." people would be like "oh right. *middle east, bombs, islam, things I see on the news*"- or at least that's what I think they do, but I don't blame them. Middle eastern countries are a very strange place to someone that has never really been or experienced it, especially with the news and the current war/arguing going on. Hell, before I went there I was kind of scared of it. I had no idea what to expect.

I really don't mind, people are just interested. It's not as if they said "So are you a dirty paki or something then?". That would end up with some violence. .
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
Page 3 of 3