I have a pain in my left index finger muscle, when I do barre chords I think the bottom edge of the neck/fretboard is digging into the lowest joint of my index finger.

I've been playing guitar for 5 years and this has never happened before.

Anyone else had this before? I'm confused as to why this is suddenly happening. I'm wondering if I've somehow suddenly changed something in my technique or position that's causing it.
1. You don't have a muscle in your index finger.
2.Which part of your index hurts?
3.Do you stretch?
Quote by Valid12891
I wish I had an extra sensitive third nipple, and a girl who was into that sort of thing.

Quote by _Ixnay_
In Russia, Winter Cold + Vodka + Big-Chested Women = No problem.

Book of shadows 2?
O_o
Quote by fretsofthebeast
1. You don't have a muscle in your index finger.
2.Which part of your index hurts?
3.Do you stretch?

1. Tendon then.
2. The bottom segment, ie the part closest to my palm, at the front.
3. No, but then as I say, been playing for 5 years and never had this problem.
I actually had a similar problem when I first started playing. With Barre chords I found that I was using the index finger to press down too much, and not pushing enough with my thumb on the neck of the guitar. Also, if you haven't played for a while, the calluses on the finger may have smoothed out a bit and it may take some time to get those calluses built back up. Hope that helps.
~Welcome to the Void~
have you been playing regularly for the past five years, or have you taken a break and just started picking it back up?
Quote by leg end

"Roses are red,
Violets are bitchin'
Goddammit woman,
get back in the kitchen"
Regularly. Really nothing obvious has changed. Same guitar, I havn't learned a new barre chord heavy song or anything. 'tis a puzzler.

I actually had the pain a couple of weeks ago so I laid off the barre chords (well used my thumb to do them) and let my finger heal. Then after it did I carried on as normal and the pain came back.

I'll try being more careful not to press my finger against the edge of the neck anymore I guess.
Quote by Gaz_m2k5
Regularly. Really nothing obvious has changed. Same guitar, I havn't learned a new barre chord heavy song or anything. 'tis a puzzler.

I actually had the pain a couple of weeks ago so I laid off the barre chords (well used my thumb to do them) and let my finger heal. Then after it did I carried on as normal and the pain came back.

I'll try being more careful not to press my finger against the edge of the neck anymore I guess.

That's wierd, have you been doing other things with your fingers more often, I've never heard of that happening without some reason for it.

I'd probably say to just keep trying to play the bar chords more with your thumb, and if that doesn't work, I don't really know.

Could you put up a picture of your hand when you're playing the bar chord, so we can make sure you're doing it right?
Quote by leg end

"Roses are red,
Violets are bitchin'
Goddammit woman,
get back in the kitchen"
im sure theres a reason...

the frist joint in your finger that connects to your palm, try moving it down a hair to where the bottem string is in the middle of your first 2 joints..that way its not dead on the corner of your guitar neck...

if that doesnt work..start brain storming. and figure out a way to make a barre chord without your finger hurting