hello

here is the dilemma

My brother has an Ibanez entry-level bass model GSR200. It sounds horrible in my opinion, and it's pickups are battery powered? I plan on putting some sort of jazz pickup in, but all i'm wondering is that if i take out the active pickup and put in the passive pickup will the guitar still function properly?

any answer would be appreciated
If there's an active preamp as well, probably.

If it's just actives into a vol/tone, then you'd need to change the pots.

The volume at max will probably be slightly different to what it is at the moment.

What's wrong with the sound?
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
it features an active EQ with "Phat II Boost" would that be considered a pre-amp?

and it sounds flappy and does not fit my desired jazzy tone is all
Would probably be fine. I think the pickups are actually passive anyway in it.

Which pickup are you thinking of putting in?

First time I've heard a GSR200 described as flappy though...
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
well there is a battery pack in the back, so I'm guessing it's active? not sure though.

I'm thinking about putting some seymour duncan jazz pickups in, or maybe some fender type. Not quite sure either.

and when I say flappy, I mean its really buzzy. Should I get a thicker gauge string? I need as much help possible! Thank you
Quote by Snewkie
well there is a battery pack in the back, so I'm guessing it's active? not sure though.

I'm thinking about putting some seymour duncan jazz pickups in, or maybe some fender type. Not quite sure either.

and when I say flappy, I mean its really buzzy. Should I get a thicker gauge string? I need as much help possible! Thank you

1) If its buzzing, it could be any number of things other then the pickups. Is it fret buzz, or is it coming from the bridge? It could also be bad wiring.

2) The battery compartment powers the active preamp, which is the phat II bass boost. The pickups however are passive.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
It's definitely fret buzz because I play really aggressively. Should I get thicker strings, and get it setup by a guitar tech?
The Acoustic 1X10 combo amp that came with it. I just got into bass, so I don't know much about tones or anything. Can anyone give me some settings for a smooth tone?

also it only buzzes when I play, when my friend plays he plays less aggressively causing it to be fine. So thicker gauge strings seem to be the solution in my mind? I'm not sure.