I'm new to guitar, and I'm self taught. I'm trying to learn alt picking, and the easiest way to alt pic is to rest the side of my hand on the bridge, similar to a palm mute, except it doesn't affect the sound, becuase it's farther back. Is this considered anchoring?
Not even sort of. Anchoring is using your pinky finger to stabilize your right hand.
i do it and it hasnt held me back, do what ever feels comfy

Ibanez S670FM
Ibanez Masa SX60
Roland Cube 60
CryBaby GCB 95
Ibanez GSR180 Bass

♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
anchoring is placing a finger on the bottom of the high e string(well that's what i think it is)gives stability and more precision imo..just search you tube for Paul Gilbert alternative picking lesson
nah. i do that when im finger picking too. i used it to break FREE of anchoring lol. you're fine
Absolutely. Anchoring is your right arm coming into contact with the guitar with anywhere other than your arm resting on the body up near your elbow. Whether or not anchoring is bad for your health is of debate, but what anchoring is, as nearly anyone will tell you, is what I have stated.
My Gear:
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute
Ibanez RGT42
PRS Santana SE

Randall RG50TC

DOD YJM308 Preamp Overdrive
Digitech RP250

Tortex jazz picks (1.14 mm)
Quote by Blackcrown
Thanks guys, I was worried =D

if it WAS anchoring, who cares? I know it'll slow you down on a quest to be malmsteen junior, but, don't miss the forest for the trees here. You learn guitar techniques to make music. The same reason you take english classes in high school. To learn to articulate your feelings. If you spend all your time learning big words and walk around using them all the time cause you know them, you're being a pretentious ass. Which leads us back to malmsteen...

In the end, don't anchor, it isn't the best thing for your technique, but don't sweat it either.
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
Quote by Lt.DanHasLegs
if it WAS anchoring, who cares? I know it'll slow you down on a quest to be malmsteen junior, but, don't miss the forest for the trees here. You learn guitar techniques to make music. The same reason you take english classes in high school. To learn to articulate your feelings. If you spend all your time learning big words and walk around using them all the time cause you know them, you're being a pretentious ass. Which leads us back to malmsteen...

Don't agree. That's like never learning to shoot from the 3 because you can shoot from the 2 and still score points. Even if you never use a trick it can't hurt to have it in your bag.

Quote by Lt.DanHasLegs
In the end, don't anchor, it isn't the best thing for your technique, but don't sweat it either.

Agree.

You are anchoring. It isn't the end of the world, especially if you are playing simple things. There isn't any reason to do it though. It doesn't help you in any permanent way - as it is quite easy to adapt to playing without anchoring - and ultimately it can only have a detrimental effect on your technique. So, pros to anchoring? None really. Cons? Yeah.
Last edited by jfreyvogel at Jun 24, 2010,
Quote by jfreyvogel

You are anchoring. It isn't the end of the world, especially if you are playing simple things. There isn't any reason to do it though. It doesn't help you in any permanent way - as it is quite easy to adapt to playing without anchoring - and ultimately it can only have a detrimental effect on your technique. So, pros to anchoring? None really. Cons? Yeah.

Agreed

I was just making sure we all kept in mind that guitar is about music... But then again, this is the "technique" forum and I just got here by clicking on a link on the front page..

I'll go back to the pit where I belong.
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.