I was wondering what it would take to make the neck of my guitar longer. I've seen the buckethead signature and it had a 27" scale length and that would be much more comfortable than my 25.5" scale length (yeah I know I'm a giant). I was wondering what it would take to make a strat or any guitar have a longer scale length without having it out of tune on every fret.
Just remember, we all used to be the kid who tried to play metal with a stratocaster and a line 6 spider amp.
Not sure exactly what I'm doing right now (my only real customization projects that i've finished is a killswitch and pickup changes) so how would i move the bridge of a strat and how would i cover the holes from where it was before and how far should I move it?
Just remember, we all used to be the kid who tried to play metal with a stratocaster and a line 6 spider amp.
First thing that came to mind when I read the title was this

But yeah, if it's a vibrato tailpiece you'd have to route farther back the appropriate distance and fill the gap left from where it was. You can use the fret calculator on stewmac to figure out exactly where. As for the longer neck, it'll probably have to be custom-ordered or you could make one.
My Tele Project!

Cheapy Johnson Steel String Acoustic
Les Paul Ripoff w/ SD SH2 and SH4
Modded Crate V18 2x12 w/ Weber Speakers
Squier Deluxe 5-string Active J-Bass
Acoustic B100 15" Bass Combo Amp
Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
Last edited by Mike-T93 at Jun 24, 2010,
You cant just change a 25.5" to a 27", you have to replace the neck.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
where exactly would i be able to custom order a guitar neck?
thing about changing scales. buckethead may have a 27" scale with 22 or 24 frets. you want a 27" scale neck. with the pickup cavities and bridge placement. you may endup with a 27" scale neck with 20 frets.
with a s/s/s pickup layout. ( assuming the scratchplate covers the large cavity)
could try. remaking the scratchplate
buying a scratchplate blank. moving the neck & middle pickup further into the scratchplate.

that way. your not modding the bridge placement or neck pocket.
another problem with changing to longer scales.
is the neck pocket. if you use the same nut (width) and same bridge/trem (string spread).
the length of the scale will make the width of the neck slightly thinner.
Uh, not true, you will ALWAYS have to move the bridge unless you somehow lengthened the body at the neck pocket in some convoluted manner or had a special neck like the Warmoth conversion necks.
My Tele Project!

Cheapy Johnson Steel String Acoustic
Les Paul Ripoff w/ SD SH2 and SH4
Modded Crate V18 2x12 w/ Weber Speakers
Squier Deluxe 5-string Active J-Bass
Acoustic B100 15" Bass Combo Amp
Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
Last edited by Mike-T93 at Jun 25, 2010,
Yea the scale length is used mostly for determining fret spacing, so at the very least you would need a new fretboard to match your new scale length, and you would have to move the bridge, but keep in mind that if you want a bigger scale you might need to have fewer frets to fit it on your guitar without having to remove the pickguard and make a new one (plus it might run into your pickups which would be a whole different mess)

FOR EXAMPLE: If you have a 24 fret guitar with a 25.5" scale. The 24th fret will be 19 1/8" from the nut, but if your guitar has a 28" scale, the 24th fret would be 21" from the nut, So you would only be able to fit about 20 frets on the guitar if you just got a new fretboard and moved the bridge. (which doesnt sound like a fun venture at all). Also remember that the guitar will sound somewhat different because the pickups will not be in the same position relative to the bridge/ nut.

EDIT: OR you can just buy a new neck and move the bridge. (still an iffy idea to me)

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I suggest buying a baritone guitar.
My Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser FR Special.
EpiG400 lefty w/Dimarzio X2N/ Irongear Hot Slag
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
2x12 Cab w/ WGS v30 / gt65
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah truebypass
ICP Gstring Decimator
Last edited by bj_squeelie at Jun 26, 2010,