Hi guys, I'm pretty new to this so I'd appreciate all the help I can get. By new I mean I'm new to the forums and I recently joined for the following reasons:

My girlfriends birthday is coming up in a few months. We've been dating for almost a year and we love each other so very much and so I want to make her gift this year very special. Long story short, I took it upon myself several months ago to build her a guitar from scratch (I told her she was due for a baby sometime soon just to peak her curiosity) and I began teaching her a little bit earlier. My idea was that by the time her birthday comes around she will be good enough to handle her first electric on her own (currently she has two acoustics and is making beautiful and fast progress). I've set out to teach her slowly and right and I'm confident by the time her birthday comes around that she will know what is needed to take care of an instrument as well as to love and grow with it.

Here's the problem.

By scratch I meant that I would acquire all of the separate components either through purchases, friends, or my own guitars. She came out beautifully except for one thing. I cannot for the life of me get the wiring specs correct. I set out on a beautifully simple yet fully capable design.

A Strat style body with chrome black hardware and a single humbucking pup with a black single humbucker slot pickguard to match. My only issue turned out to be wiring the pickup. It's the Seymour Duncan P-rail and I wanted her to have the ability to dial into at least 3 or 4 different pickup selections. I used two 500k push/pull pots and a wiring diagram I got offline (because the diagram with the pickup had nothing on wiring the guitar with just one pickup. All of the given diagrams were for matching P-rail pickups). Here it is if you it helps:

I followed the diagram to the best of my ability (I've been playing guitar for about six years now and I'm pretty confident with my knowledge of wiring as in addition to playing, I adore taking apart my instruments and overall guitar maintenance) and What resulted was the pickup could access the P-90, the humbucker, the rails, and the series (or parallel. I couldn't tell) yet the pots were scratchy and the tone knob did nothing.

Any help whatsoever on how to fix this, I would gratefully appreciate as this gift is very important to me and I want to be able to say that I built this thing for her without having to go to a shop and have it set up for me.

Thanks guys.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by ArcRuin
Hi guys, I'm pretty new to this so I'd appreciate all the help I can get. Here's the problem: I have a guitar with a single humbucking pup. It's the Seymour Duncan P-rail. I used two 500k push/pull pots and a wiring diagram I got here.

I followed the diagram to the best of my ability and what resulted was the pickup could access the P-90, the humbucker, the rails, and the series (or parallel. I couldn't tell) yet the pots were scratchy and the tone knob did nothing.

Any help whatsoever on how to fix this, I would greatly appreciate. Thanks guys.

For future reference, that's how you start a thread. It's all fine and dandy you're doing this for your girlfriend, but not everyone cares and if it's tl;dr then you're less likely to get help. This also could have just as easily gone in the wiring thread. Next time try visiting the essential links thread before you ask a question.

As for the solution to your problem, use the links Slanderous666 provided, and in the future try going to the manufacturer's website when you have an issue with a product, especially since Seymour Duncan tends to have wiring diagrams for just about everything.
My Tele Project!

Cheapy Johnson Steel String Acoustic
Les Paul Ripoff w/ SD SH2 and SH4
Modded Crate V18 2x12 w/ Weber Speakers
Squier Deluxe 5-string Active J-Bass
Acoustic B100 15" Bass Combo Amp
Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
Last edited by Mike-T93 at Jun 24, 2010,
^ some people like the back story, makes this more interesting than just another "i cant figure this stuff out" thread.

anyway, i would check your connections on the tone knob. if the cap isnt on all the way, the knob wont do anything. next, make sure you are using decent quality pots. cheap pots will be scratchy and wont have much impact except at the extremes. same thing if you used the wrong taper, so thats another thing to check.