This makes me really ****ing sad, and even more angry. What do you guys think?

http://espguitarsusa.blogspot.com/2010/06/esp-sponsors-mma-fighter-shayna-baszler.html
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I see no problem?

To be honest companies need all the help they can get with whats going on, especially a company dependant on fairly high end guitars..

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Why would this make you mad? Would it make you made if they advertised on a billboard?
Michael
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio (Ebony w/ Gold)
Peavy Rage 158 Practice Amp
Meh, I don't really see the problem. Companies just want to get their name out, I'm sure a lot of UFC fans are metal heads and when they want to start playing guitar they'll know about ESP.
It's the weirdest branding I've ever seen.
Well, mainly mad because it's hard enough for musicians to get endorsements, and now they're giving them to people who don't even play guitar, who will use the guitar as nothing more than an ornament. It just feels like a slap in the face to me.

EDIT: I may be making a bigger deal out of it than is reasonable because I have a strong dislike/hate toward all sports in general. I still think I have a valid point though.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jun 24, 2010,
I agree, very sad. Does she know how to play?
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by Offworld92
Well, mainly mad because it's hard enough for musicians to get endorsements, and now they're giving them to people who don't even play guitar, who will use the guitar as nothing more than an ornament. It just feels like a slap in the face to me.

EDIT: I may be making a bigger deal out of it than is reasonable because I have a strong dislike/hate toward all sports in general. I still think I have a valid point though.

Well you don't, It's not like they ration endorsements. They give them to people who they think will give them the exposure they need, anybody popular enough is going to get the attention of companies wanting to use them as billboards.
Quote by stephen_rettie
Well you don't, It's not like they ration endorsements. They give them to people who they think will give them the exposure they need, anybody popular enough is going to get the attention of companies wanting to use them as billboards.

I'm not saying I don't understand why, I mean I completely understand marketing and economics, all I'm trying to say is that it's a sad thing. I'd rather they endorse massively popular pop/radio musicians, because there'd be as much if not more advertisement, and at least that person would be in the field of music.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I'm not saying I don't understand why, I mean I completely understand marketing and economics, all I'm trying to say is that it's a sad thing. I'd rather they endorse massively popular pop/radio musicians, because there'd be as much if not more advertisement, and at least that person would be in the field of music.

Wrong demographic. A 13 year old girl, in fact just anyone, is unlikely to want to play guitar after hearing they're favourite pop artist play one. The reason Rock and Metal have so many companies set on making guitars for said genres is because it is guitar orientated music.
In short, a pop singer makes people want to sing, a rock or metal song with a sweet riff makes people want to play guitar. Endorsing pop artists would be expensive (given they're popularity and rates) and inefficient.

I'm not saying the MMA thing is the best thing they could do but it is an industry which can tie to heavy music which is ESPs demographic.
Quote by stephen_rettie

I'm not saying the MMA thing is the best thing they could do but it is an industry which can tie to heavy music which is ESPs demographic.

Shows how much I know, I guess. I don't associate sports with music whatsoever.

Then again, I'm the type of person who never turns on a TV except for movies and the occasional video game. I don't have patience for the media. So I guess that explains my anger.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92

Then again, I'm the type of person who never turns on a TV except for movies and the occasional video game. I don't have patience for the media. So I guess that explains my anger.

Music goes with everything, bands putting tracks on video games and movies to gain exposure, commercials using popular songs to promote their products. Music is in the background of all media.
Quote by Offworld92

you browse social media such as blogs

plenty of patience, just less exposure
Sponsoring =/= endorsing. Learn the difference, you're acting as if they've given her an album deal.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Sponsoring =/= endorsing. Learn the difference, you're acting as if they've given her an album deal.

Besides, its not like they're making her a custom guitar, she's actually carrying someone else's custom guitar.

I don't see a problem here. If it gets more people to start playing guitar, then good for them.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
I know the difference. But the fact remains that they gave her a guitar(s), that she doesn't play, that she uses as an accessory. Should I be happy about that? I'm just expressing my opinions as a dedicated guitarist. I think it's a shame, and a waste. If she doesn't actually play it, then I don't think it's that good of an advertising tactic toward sportsy metalheads. They'll see a guitar, and say, yeah, cool, but I don't think they'd be much motivated to go and buy as much as they would if they heard some sick riff on it or something.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
^

Dude if you let things like this piss you off you'll never fully enjoy life. Srsly. I don't pay attention to those MMA tourneys so this affects me in no way whatsoever. It shouldn't affect you either.

Actually it has nothing to do with any of us. And it's also not like ESP made some one off custom shop guitar for her to hold. They gave her a bloody LTD sig from another artist. If anything she's promoting Atreyu.

ESP: The official guitars of butches? =P Sorta...odd IMO, and totally irrelevant. But whatever floats their boat.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
I thought it was kind of a stupid marketing ploy but it's ESP's business who they choose to sponsor and endorse, not mine. I own four LTD's and a Standard. I'll continue to use ESP's because I think they're damn good guitars.
Besides it's not like they're doing what they did for Metal Mulisha and putting some stupid graphic on one of their models for her.
To the OP, I understand where you're coming from, but I personally don't have a problem with it. I see it like this, if this can sell ESP/LTD a few more guitars, then good for them. The more product that a company sells, the less they can charge for that product. ESP is very popular among the younger crowd these days, many of whom watch MMA, and if this kind of thing makes more kids want to pick up the instrument while simultaneously making nice equipment more affordable then I'm for it. Just my opinion.
Gear:
1998 PRS CE 22-10 Top Natural Finish
MIM HSS Strat-Electron Blue
Vox AC4TV
i kind of get where you're coming from, but she's not "endorsed" by ESP, just sponsored. ESP has to get their name out there somehow. it's just advertising. plus i love MMA. it's a great sport. if this gets more people to watch MMA or a few fight fans to check out ESP's guitars then the ad has done it's job.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
This is a bad thing...why? Nice to see a company endorsing someone ASIDE from a bandmember
Have a good one,
Phoenix