I've been looking to buy a fat strat soon. I'm most likely going to buy the mexican made strat due to the price but i was also wondering what are the major differences between the American and Mexican made?
Build Quality and Hardware. The mexican stuff is still really nice if you get a good price, look into the Japanese Fenders for really good quality:money ratio.
i read this somewhere on UG: Mexican strats are made in Mexican factories, by Mexicans. american strats are made in american factories, by Mexicans.
What stephen_rettie said, but I would play the guitar you want to buy. With the Mexi strats, it can be hit or miss. I just bought a new Roadhouse Strat, and it turned out in excellent shape and great build quality. But again, hit or miss.

Chances are you will be perfectly happy with the Mexi. I mean you would probably be slightly happier with an American, but the differences aren't THAT huge. I think you would be happy either way in this case.
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
the spent in the guitar carving molding take a guitar luthier master for a really good / american stratocaster/ mexico are good has ^^ he said mexico is good but id rather ihave the MIM coz the price coz the dirrance is not alot but a big change for sound but the sound is still amzing

American Top Notch

Mexican - moneys worth

Japan - little more time

and the american have better pickups :P
As has been said, try it first, I took a big risk when I bought my Classic Series Strat because I had to order it without having played it first. I got very lucky (even the shop owner was surprised, apparently he didn't even have to give it a setup) but I don't think I'll take a chance like that again any time soon.
Gear:
Fender Classic Series 50's Strat
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Looks like Harry Potter about to fly an old biplane. A lady killer, but the ladies cannot figure out which state he's from - Indiana, or Pennsylvania?
Owns the under 5'2" hotties.
Americans have better pickups, and a sort of "Glaze" over the neck. Mexicans, on the other hand don't work half the time
Gear:
American Strat (Modded with Kinman Pickups and more )
PRS Paul Allender (Don't like Cradle of Filth though )
Line 6 Spider Valve 212 (Broken )
Blackstar HT-5 Combo Amp

DR.ZOIDBERG!!!!! (Very inspirational)
Quote by Sshmoo
Americans have better pickups, and a sort of "Glaze" over the neck. Mexicans, on the other hand don't work half the time

really? i thought they always work?
Thanks for all the input, i figured the differences weren't THAT major between the two. I'm hoping to go to SamAsh to try one of these babies out.
Quote by olix95
really? i thought they always work?

No, there too lazy... and not wired very well
Gear:
Blackstar HT-5 Combo Amp

Quote by Sshmoo
No, there too lazy... and not wired very well

the Mexicans i get always will work non-stop.
the cleans on the Mexicans have nothing on the Americans which IMO have nothing on the Highway Ones
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
+1
Gear:
Blackstar HT-5 Combo Amp

Another thing that hasn't been said is that most MIM Stratocaster come with a 21 fret neck and American have the 22 frets.
Quote by PeterNincompoop
Thanks for all the input, i figured the differences weren't THAT major between the two. I'm hoping to go to SamAsh to try one of these babies out.

Try more than one. A good thing about MIM strats is guitar stores usually have several. I have messed around with several MIM strats at stores, and some just seem better than others sound and feel wise. Find the one that calls to you, your ears, hands and eyes will tell you which one that is.

As far as quality, I think over all they are a good deal for the price range, MIM Fender overall are playable , nice guitars. Certainly good enough for gigging and recording. However compared to American built, I can tell a difference overall in quality, from the feel to the overall craftmanship specially the necks.

While I do have American fat strats, I actually recently bought a white MIM off Ebay. I keep practicing and learning different songs, sometimes they are tuned different so I bought this one to use in a specific tuning.

I studied the listing and pics on the Ebay listing hard, the price was good ($300) and when I got it I was pleased. I think it has quality, even if at the new price at a store. And this one I got is basically like new.

The downside to Ebay, is not being able to test it, but the pics were good, the seller seemed legit, and the price was worth the risk IMO. Ebay is worth considering, but like I said be smart about it, a friend bought a MIM strat off Ebay and while he got it for a steal, it turned out the neck had been switched. But my friend didn't ask questions to the seller, his fault.