Hey guys,

I searched for a thread regarding this problem, but I couldn't find any.

My new Ibanez has a bit of a problem with its ZR Tremolo. It stays in tune perfectly when I push down on the bar, but when I raise up, it loses tuning after returning to the zero point. Every string is either flat or sharp. Its easily fixed by pushing down on the tremolo, but its very inconvenient.

Has anyone else had this problem? I'd like to be able to pull up on my trem bar without having to push down every time.

Thanks in advance,

-Sean
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
take it and throw it out the window ibanez unless you spend decent cash like in the thousands are shit.
you want a good guitar with a great tremelo get yourself a shecter hellraiser c1 fr

it has the original floyd rose on it stays perfectly in tune and sounds great
Quote by sixxfreak1214
take it and throw it out the window ibanez unless you spend decent cash like in the thousands are shit.
you want a good guitar with a great tremelo get yourself a shecter hellraiser c1 fr

Thanks for answering my question.

You must not know much about Ibanez, as the ZR tremolo ranks up there as one of the best available.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.

WTF did you say?
dont do what sixfreak says
maybe the zero point thing isnt balanced perfectly
Quote by sixxfreak1214

lol gtfo of here.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Get a proper guitar technician to have a look at it.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Some strings might be getting caught on the bridge. Try putting a bit of graphite on the saddles. If it keeps a tune when you're dive bombing, that means there's nothing wrong with it that some simple maintenance can't fix.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Quote by sixxfreak1214

...Well thank you for getting the ignorance out of the way first. At least your response isn't muddled with all the helpful ones. (The ZR does come on the guitars in the thousands just so you know.... )

Quote by Guitar2theface
Some strings might be getting caught on the bridge. Try putting a bit of graphite on the saddles. If it keeps a tune when you're dive bombing, that means there's nothing wrong with it that some simple maintenance can't fix.

This is wrong too. (No offense intended)

The strings are locked in the bridge, they're not going to move. The only graphite could possibly do is make the strings slip out of the saddles, even though this probably wouldn't happen.

TS, your problem is weird, most of the time those symptoms are happening because the knife edges are dulled, but since the ZR doesn't have any knife edges, it has to be something else.

First check to make sure the nut is locking the strings all the way. With the nuts locked, pluck each string and press on that string behind the nut, one string at a time. If the pitch changes when you press on the string behind the nut, this means the string is slipping through the nut. Check to see if this is happening and post back.

You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Last edited by biga29 at Jun 25, 2010,
Are you using the ZPS? Try taking it out if you are, I've heard quite a few people have trouble with pull-up returns with the ZPS in.
Quote by littlephil
Are you using the ZPS? Try taking it out if you are, I've heard quite a few people have trouble with pull-up returns with the ZPS in.

I think the ZPS (Zero Point System) refers to the lack of knife edges in the bridge, as in "there's zero points of contact, just ball bearings."

The thing you remove is the Stop Bar, and it basically makes the bridge the opposite of a non-recessed FR; you can pull back on the bridge, but you can't push down. It's the thing that Ibanez tried to sell as a Floating trem that "won't go out of tune when you break a string!" But it won't go out of tune because they basically blocked the bridge for pull back only, and it can't tilt forward from the lack of tension from the broken string.

(I fell like I'm contradicting way to many people in this thread... I promise I'm not trying to sound like I know everything... )
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Nah, the ZPS is the stop bar, and with it out it works exactly like a normal Floyd. With it in, it just stabilises it (well, its meant to anyway ) because you need to pull against 2 extra springs to move the trem.
ah,flat or sharp return from pullups is mostly caused by the ZPS system,like phil said,take it out and do a setup..

biga29,the stop bar is the ZPS,the ball bearing system is called the ZR(zero resistance)system.
Will it still have good stability if I remove the ZPS?
Quote by rmr024

Quote by SLonergan
Will it still have good stability if I remove the ZPS?

well,the question is do you have good stability with the bar in?

the ZPS is mostly a marketing trick,what it basically does is keep the other strings in tune when you bend one string,it does nothing for it stay in tune when you break a string or to return it to zero point...all the other trems without the ZPS return to zero without a problem.

if you want to know how it works take a look at this

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1328450&highlight=clearing+some+myths+about+the+dishonestly+advertised+ZPS+system
Well I guess now I'm just trying to figure out how to remove it!
Quote by rmr024

so would you guys suggest that I do this anyway?
Quote by rmr024

Quote by SLonergan
so would you guys suggest that I do this anyway?

its nothing serious,just do it and see if it works..mostly flat return is cause by the ZPS
okay, I'm removing it now. I'll get back to you guys in a few minutes.
Quote by rmr024

Taking out the ZPS seems to have made the problem worse
Quote by rmr024

Quote by SLonergan
Taking out the ZPS seems to have made the problem worse

you got to set it up after taking out the ZPS

BTW can you give a detailed analysis of the problem at the moment?
Last edited by archenemyfan at Jun 25, 2010,
Quote by archenemyfan
you got to set it up after taking out the ZPS

BTW can you give a detailed analysis of the problem at the moment?

I think I"m retracting my previous statement. I'm not a setup expert by any means (I am WAY to scared to touch the truss rod), but I've done what I can, and it seems to be getting better.

I like the feel of the trem a lot better without the ZPS (fluttering is nice ). I am going to play around with it for a little longer, and if I really like it, I'm going to have my local tech do a professional setup on it without the ZPS.

There is one problem I'm noticing. Whenever I bend a string it tends to make the adjacent strings go a little flat. This is kind of a problem, because I typically bend up one string then strike the above string as a sort of blues lick. Is this typical? Or will a setup fix it?
Quote by rmr024

Quote by SLonergan
I think I"m retracting my previous statement. I'm not a setup expert by any means (I am WAY to scared to touch the truss rod), but I've done what I can, and it seems to be getting better.

I like the feel of the trem a lot better without the ZPS (fluttering is nice ). I am going to play around with it for a little longer, and if I really like it, I'm going to have my local tech do a professional setup on it without the ZPS.

There is one problem I'm noticing. Whenever I bend a string it tends to make the adjacent strings go a little flat. This is kind of a problem, because I typically bend up one string then strike the above string as a sort of blues lick. Is this typical? Or will a setup fix it?

that is a common flaw of a double locking trem,and is there on every other trem in the world which doesnt have the ZPS system..what the ZPS do is stabilize the trem so the adjacent strings doesnt go out of tune when you're bending one..
Quote by archenemyfan
that is a common flaw of a double locking trem,and is there on every other trem in the world which doesnt have the ZPS system..what the ZPS do is stabilize the trem so the adjacent strings doesnt go out of tune when you're bending one..

Well, it seems that the benefits of removing the ZPS far outweigh the consequences. Tuning is rock solid now btw

I guess its not to bad, the string detune on bends isn't horrible, and the untrained ear could probably hardly notice it.
Quote by rmr024

Quote by SLonergan
Well, it seems that the benefits of removing the ZPS far outweigh the consequences. Tuning is rock solid now btw

I guess its not to bad, the string detune on bends isn't horrible, and the untrained ear could probably hardly notice it.

yeah,people have been living with normal floyds for years....and it never was a problem.you just got to bend the other note slightly,so that both notes are in perfect tune..or just ignore it like I do

you'll probably get used to it after some time..

Well, thanks for the advice. I love this guitar even more than before! I guess I'll hold onto the ZPS...I'll just stick it in a drawer.

Anyway, I don't even know why they bothered. Without the ZPS, this is the nicest trem I've used. I love the feeling of the ball bearings!
Quote by rmr024

no problem

what guitar is it?

and yeah,the ZR trem is a great..I love it
Its an Ibanez S570DXQM. Not top of the line, but I'm surprised how stable it is for the money. The weakest link is the pickups, obviously, but I'm going to replace them with some DiMarzios soon.

Once I get those new pickups in, and get it set up, its going to be a beast of a guitar!
Quote by rmr024

Hmmm.... I just received my Ibanez a few days ago and after the ZPS was making clunking noise (The felt/fuzzy stuff where the ZPS bar sits was messed up, plus I don't think I had the tension of the trem even right) I took it out and the ZR trem plays AMAZING.

I agree, the benefits of not having the ZPS outweigh the cons. BUT once I start gigging, I'm going to put it back in for better stability and better bends... but like you said, the pitch drop in bends isn't too bad, definitely can live with it.

My only problem with my S is that I some pretty bad fret buzz on the top strings and the action still isn't even as low as I'd like (though I can go super low with the high strings and it's amazing, I just don't like how un-even the action is)... I don't really know what to do. I reduced a bit of tension of the truss rod (probably not enough) but it didn't seem to help (there wasn't near enough curve). It's alright for now but I'd like to get a tech to look at it, problem is I don't know anyone.

Again, like you said, the weakest link is the pickups... I too will probably replace them with DiMarzios. (I'm thinking D-Sonic/Air Norton, D-Activators, or Crunch Lab/Liquifire... possibly Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz)

Sorry for the wall of text, I'm just having a lot of fun, I haven't had a new guitar in 5 years and just received my S and I'm still excited.
Last edited by Ignite at Jun 25, 2010,
Its all good dude, I know what you mean!

I'm probably going with the Crunch Lab/Liquifire myself, and I was looking at an Area 67 for the middle.
Quote by rmr024

dimarzio is the way to go,email dimarzio and describe what sort of sound you want,and they send you recommendation and wiring diagrams...

I personally emailed them,and best combination to my preferences seems to be,

evo/super 2/evo 2 bridge,reverse polarity red velvet in the middle and a liquifire in the neck

@ignite,well can you name me one single artist who plays with the ZPS system live?except for chris broderick..it really isnt a problem,you might feel like it's a problem because its your first floyd(cant be sure..is it?)

the S570 is a really nice guitar man..
Oh! Forgot about the middle. Definitely not used to having a middle. And I definitely have no idea what to get. I might just leave the one that's in there.

I'm wondering if I can find some sort of low-profile high output middle as it gets in the way of my picking sometimes.
Well, you can lower the middle pickup into the guitar body a little bit. You don't necessarily have to get a low profile pickup.
Quote by rmr024

Quote by Ignite

I haven't had a new guitar in 5 years and just received my S and I'm still excited.

wow!! that sucks

I got my second guitar after 6 months of getting my first one..it was a RGT220a
Quote by SLonergan
Well, you can lower the middle pickup into the guitar body a little bit. You don't necessarily have to get a low profile pickup.

I did, it's as low as I can get it... And now that I think about it, it hasn't really been bothering me at all. At times I kind of wish I would have got the S420 without the middle, but then I go to the middle on a clean setting and it sounds so amazing.

I plan to mod the config a bit after I get some new pups. I want one of the positions to be the two inner coils of the humbuckers. Positions 2 and 4 aren't really doing it for me right now.

Quote by archenemyfan
wow!! that sucks

I got my second guitar after 6 months of getting my first one..it was a RGT220a

Wow nice! I bet that plays like a dream. Looks so smooth.
Quote by Ignite

Wow nice! I bet that plays like a dream. Looks so smooth.

well yeah it does..

but honestly,it doesnt look as good as your S770pb that you posted earlier...man that was awesome...how can guitars look so good?
Quote by littlephil
Nah, the ZPS is the stop bar, and with it out it works exactly like a normal Floyd. With it in, it just stabilises it (well, its meant to anyway ) because you need to pull against 2 extra springs to move the trem.

Yeh, I just checked. You're right about the ZPS thing, but I was right about all the other stuff...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Update time...

The problem of the guitar being out of tune after a pull up is gone...now it goes out of tune on a push down. What's weird is that the strings go back in tune if I pull up on the bar.

So, the problem is fixed if I pull up on the bar after pushing down, but its very annoying. Do you guys know what causes this, and do you know if a proper set up will fix it?
Quote by rmr024