looking at buying a new amp this weekend. i am looking at a 2 channel mesa boogie dual rectifier for 850 ... and also a peavey 5150 II with new tubes, a bias mod, as well as the choke mod, and it was modified to have the original 5150 voicing on the lead channel and costs 750 ... both amps are in excellent condition as well. i as curious which one would be the better buy. i play heavier styles of music and want something with lotsa gain that really has a nice "chug" to it ... which is the better option ??
AGILE PS970/4000 (one off custom) :: JACKSON DKMGT :: DEAN SOLTERO
MESA Dual Rec (2CH) :: (2) AVATAR 2X12 cabs w/ celestions

BUGERA 6262 FOR SALE !!!
I'd go for the Mesa, but I'm interested in how those mods have changed the Peavey.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
That's a tough one. The Peavey sounds intriguing...very. Any chance of playing it before buying? If heavy is what you're after, the Mesa for sure will do what you want.
ok kool, i was curious how heavy the mesa can truly get. the epavey does sound more interesting given the mods. i owned a peavey 6505+ and liked the tone, but it was stock. keep in mind i said "liked" , cuz i didnt love it. i have demo'd a mesa in guitar center, but everyone knows you cant krank anything in that store so i wasnt able to get a very good idea of its true tone . the other thing is the peavey is 5 hours away so it would eat up the hundred i would be saving in gas.

on a side note, should i decide to sell it in the future would i be right in assuming the mesa would hold its value better ??
AGILE PS970/4000 (one off custom) :: JACKSON DKMGT :: DEAN SOLTERO
MESA Dual Rec (2CH) :: (2) AVATAR 2X12 cabs w/ celestions

BUGERA 6262 FOR SALE !!!
Last edited by MYLILSS at Jun 24, 2010,
if you want a nice 'chug' you might want to get an OD for the Mesa...
if you had a 6505+ (even though it was stock) and you didn't love it then I say give the mesa a try... if you don't like it perhaps you can still get the modded 6505 and trade the guy for the mesa or something?