Hey guys so I've kind of come to a bit of frustration and was just wondering what you guys had to say about it. I've been playing a lot lately really improving my technique and what not, but my problem is is that I am having trouble remembering lengthy solos. I've always kind of went for shorter solos, mainly because they were easier and were at my ability, (think the intro solo to Wish You Were Here) but now that I can play a bit more advanced I am looking at longer solos and was just wondering what methods you guys learned for not just playing them but remembering them as well. I can go through and play along with the song on guitar pro but actually playing it afterward is not happening. What do you suggest?
practice practice practice. When you've played the solo enough times you will remember it. If you're into theory you could memorize all the chord progressions and remember what scale goes where and what not. Just play it over and over.
playing along with Guitar Pro multiple times measure by measure
"[Bleach] is mostly water, and we are mostly water, therefore we are bleach"

I feel we should go to...

Purple Alert
Practice makes perfect man. Learn the solos peice by piece. For example, if the solo is say, 2 minutes long, then learn 30 seconds of it each day, for 4 days, while practicing the 30 seconds from the day before with it. The more you play it, the easier it becomes.
My first "lengthy" solo was the outro solo in "Fade to Black" by Metallica which is a LONG solo. And I just learned it peice-by-peice, and practiced everything each day, and after about two weeks, I was able to play it through and through at full speed no problem.

Just takes time and effort, little elbow grease, you know?
Play sections of the solo over and over, till you can play it without looking at the tabs (or whatever it is you're using to learn the song), then move onto the next section, while continuing to play the other sections you have already learned along with the new section.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Heres what I do...I learn the scale(s) the solo is in....I then practice and learn each bar of the solo one at a time. Sometimes, even dividing a single bar into parts to make it easier. Once I have learned the bar I just repeat it...over and over. Then I move on to the next bar and learn that...and then I play the first and second bar...I continue doing that then eventually I learn the entire solo...after that you just practice it and practice it over and over again.
Quote by fob12
Well first you start by actually playing it...

actually no, you start by learning it - listening to the solo until you can recall it from memory.

It's a damnsight harder to learn to play something if you don't realyl know what it's supposed to sound like.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by drawnacrol
Its all down to finger memory, you'll be surprised how you can play away for several minutes without concentrating

Can't wait until I get to this point. I am in the same boat as the OP except that I probably can't actually play the solo yet haha. I've been reading tons of theory at work and now I really just need to brush up my playing itself. I also have tons of trouble remembering the songs while learning the different peices.

One thing I think that contributes to my not being able to remember is having too many distractions around me. I really want to get a room with my comp, amp, guitars, and music and have a nice chair and stand for the music. Right now I play from my comp chair and read off my monitor. I think that kind of gets in the way of things anyways. I'm hoping that soon I'll be able to remember the songs I like to play better, and maybe actually get through a full song from beginning to end (has yet to really happen). I just usually play riffs and parts of songs I like that are fun to play, but usually don't play along with the song (too sloppy and slow most of the time to keep up with the songs I like).

I think people who like metal music or more technical music tend to have this problem when learning just due to the songs they like to play, but that's just from personal experience. I mean I know if I was learning songs with just chords in them it'd sure be a hell of a lot easier to remember
huh, I never had this problem. Thankfully I have good memory =P
Yesterday I learnt Surrounded by Dream Theater by ear and every note and chord I learnt just sticked to my mind, I remember it all of course....
So I was thinking, maybe learning by ear makes remembering easier?
Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
You wither, and die. I am eternal, the pinnacle of evolution and existence. I am beyond your comprehension. I am Kurai.
Quote by Kurai X
huh, I never had this problem. Thankfully I have good memory =P
Yesterday I learnt Surrounded by Dream Theater by ear and every note and chord I learnt just sticked to my mind, I remember it all of course....
So I was thinking, maybe learning by ear makes remembering easier?

lol I hate u just kidding tho...