Probably not a new concept, but i am curious if there is some sort of happy medium between two of my guitars. On one hand, i love the sound of my epi les paul standard, very large and nice and bright.

On the other hand, I love how my LTD ec-1000 plays, it has a thin neck, jumbo frets, low action, etc.

Is there a 'middle ground' in some guitar to be found? Just thinking out loud, thinner neck, low action, but still the large les paul sound? Maybe its a unicorn
Guitars
Amps
Swap out the pups in the LTD perhaps? I would reccomend getting some real LP pups(Burstbuckers or some PAF clones), but if you want the Epi pups, do it.

Pups = Pickups. Just in case you're not familiar with our UG lingo.
Last edited by Dio10101 at Jun 24, 2010,
Quote by Dio10101
Swap out the pups in the LTD perhaps? I would reccomend getting some real LP pups(Burstbuckers or some PAF clones), but if you want the Epi pups, do it.

yeah do this
i've never played an agile LP but perhaps that might be what you're looking for?
or maybe go for an ESP eclipse with full body (might give you that tone you're missing from the ec-1000 with smaller bodies?)

usually LP's are considered to be dark and warm, not necessarily 'bright'....? (maybe the pickups in there are really bright?)
depending on the ec-1000 you have (guessing one with EMG's) maybe passives will give you a sound closer to your epiphone?
Ibanez S
it has the neck and feel of the ESP but its made of the same wood as the les paul and gets some great sounds
Quote by harboe12
Ibanez S
it has the neck and feel of the ESP but its made of the same wood as the les paul and gets some great sounds

The Ibanez S series are great guitars, but I can't really recommend one to someone looking for something with a Gibson feel. They are very different (I own a Gibson Les Paul, and an Ibanez S).
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Fernandes Monterey

/thread
*stupid 09'er*

this space is for rent. PM me for rates
Quote by xl999
Fernandes Monterey

/thread

+1! With the sustainer!

I didn't even think of that. Nice guitar right thur.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
The only real, practical difference between an Epi (or Gibson) LP and the ESP/LTD Eclipse design is the neck thickness. Now, neck thickness effects tone, but of course it also effects playability. If you really want the fuller Epi/Gibson tone, a pickup change won't be enough; a different magnet and a few more winds of wire can't compensate for a thicker neck. People really underestimate how much a thick neck can improve your tone in every regard: bass, treble, brightness, clarity, sustain, resonance, everything. There is no piece of hardware or electronic element that can compensate for the extra wood at such a key place as the neck. Of course though if you find the ESP neck is easier to play on then you're not going to want to sacrifice that for a fuller tone.

My advice would be to try to figure out which you value more, maximum playability but lesser tone or maximum tone but lesser playability. The Epiphone could be re-fretted with larger fretwire but it will never play quite like the LTD will. The LTD could have a complete electronics and hardware makeover but it will never sound quite like the Epi will. Of course, you coudl get used to the thicker neck and flatter fretwire, lots of professionals play on Gibson and Epiphone necks. Alternatively you might find in future that your tone tastes change and you prefer the thinner, more compressed tone of the LTD after all. You need to work out which of the two elements is right for you.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
text

Flibble knows what's up. I would actually recommend the ESP Eclipse Full Thickness. It's thicker right where the neck meets the body, so I have a feeling that could make your tone a little more full
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09