So I kinda want to get a tube amp sometime soon, the solid state just isn't doing it for me now that I'm in a band and performing. I've got a USA deluxe strat and I currently play a Fender Deluxe 900 amp. I'm in a ska band, so I need something with a good clean tone but also a decent bluesy gain for when I'm jamming at home or playing other stuff. I don't want anything too big or too expensive. I was kind of thinking Blues Junior maybe, but I was wondering what you all thought.
Yes, Blues Jr. would be a perfect first tube amp for you. You could get those good cleans great for ska.
- Paul Reed Smith Custom 24
- Fender USA Strat
- Orange Rockerverb 50 Head
- Orange PPC-212OB Cab
- Marshall JTM600 Head
- Marshall JTM410 Cab
Quote by j.gitskin
So I kinda want to get a tube amp sometime soon, the solid state just isn't doing it for me now that I'm in a band and performing. I've got a USA deluxe strat and I currently play a Fender Deluxe 900 amp. I'm in a ska band, so I need something with a good clean tone but also a decent bluesy gain for when I'm jamming at home or playing other stuff. I don't want anything too big or too expensive. I was kind of thinking Blues Junior maybe, but I was wondering what you all thought.

for performing, especially in a ska band, i would prefer something with a bit more headroom. el84's aren't known headroom, they are known for being cranked out and sounding like 'twice the amp at half the volume' kinda deal. if you are regularly playing chords that are more complex than power chords(1->5's) then you'll want more headroom to let those 1->3->5's and 1->2->5's to sound more articulate and less cluttered.

i recommend something with a couple of el34's or 6L6's, even a couple 6V6's will have more headroom than el84's. also i recommend going of brand, fender is far more expensive than better products out there.

if you are going total budget than a trip to the used guitar store can turn up goodies. fishing for more obscure amps on craig's list or ebay can score a treat as well. there are also options like mojotone or weber were you can get kit amps that can go for cheap (someone got a 5E3 tweed deluxe clone for 250 the other day).
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jun 25, 2010,
Apart from added controls and a bigger speaker, is there any major difference between the Pro Junior and Blues Junior?
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
i beleive the blues jr no reverb either. the tone knob is going to have a different effect on the tone than the 3 band tone stack of the blue jr. no idea how much different the circuit is though.

-ae
What's your budget? If you can go 300-350 you can get a used hot rod deluxe on craigslist. Phenomenal amp
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix (R.I.P.)

"I'd much rather be home playing my guitar"
-Eddie Van Halen
Blues Jr has reverb and sounds great. And if you throw a BOSS Blues Driver in front of it for that little extra bite you can get some great sounds.

And I don't know about the YCV40WR but I have a Traynor YCV40 and I would take the Blues JR over it any day of the week. But forsaknazrael is right in that the Traynor is a bit thicker in the sound if that's what you're looking for. I'm not a fan of the distortion on it though, seems kind of dry. Maybe with an OD in front of it.

Oh, one more thing, I don't know if the Blues Jr. would be loud enough to cut through the mix of a band. I play at home by myself so it works for me but it's not that loud. On the other hand, the Traynor is loud as hell. I don't think I've ever raised it over 3 and that had everything in my music room vibrating. I'm actually trying to sell it since it's too loud for me (like I said, I only play at home).
Last edited by furin121 at Jun 25, 2010,
Blues Junior sounds pretty perfect.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
The Blues Junior has more top end than the Traynor, but it suffers from low clean headroom, which I think is important for ska. if you don't mind your cleans being distorted at band levels...then the BJ is better.

FYI, the YCV40WR has a better speaker than the normal YCV40. Makes a big difference. The Celestion 70/80 in the normal version sucks.
Quote by forsaknazrael
FYI, the YCV40WR has a better speaker than the normal YCV40. Makes a big difference. The Celestion 70/80 in the normal version sucks.

I've heard that a speaker swap does wonders for it but since it's too loud for me anyway I haven't fooled with it. If I can't sell it I may break down and keep it and replace the speaker down the road sometime. Maybe I could use it if I ever moved somewhere without such close neighbors!
Bandwagon? More like solid state modelers are the bandwagon. Tube amps have been around forever.
Quote by MrFlibble
Zakk Wylde actually uses four MGs on stage. One set to crushing overdrive, one set to brutal distortion, one set to crushingly brutal distortion, and the fourth set to brutally crushing overdrive.

Krank Distortion Pedal!!!!
Quote by furin121
I've heard that a speaker swap does wonders for it but since it's too loud for me anyway I haven't fooled with it. If I can't sell it I may break down and keep it and replace the speaker down the road sometime. Maybe I could use it if I ever moved somewhere without such close neighbors!

Feel free to hit me up for ideas.
The Celestion V30 is a good speaker for it, though. If you want one already broken in, look at a Hellatone from avatarspeakers.com, or if you want one with less of a harsh spike, a Veteran 30 from Warehouse Guitar Speakers is nice, too.
yea my budget is about 300-500. I've got a VisualSound route 66 od and compression. Trouble is I live in the suburbs, so theres one local music store in my town, one in the next town over, then a Sam Ash. The one in my town is pretty lame, so I'd only have a few places to go looking for used stuff. I've been searching craigslist and have found a few things.
How safe is buying gear from ebay? I've always shied away from it because I know someone who bought an instrument on there that cost more to repair than she paid to buy it.
Quote by j.gitskin
How safe is buying gear from ebay? I've always shied away from it because I know someone who bought an instrument on there that cost more to repair than she paid to buy it.

You shouldn’t spend money on eBay that you can’t afford to lose. Most eBay transactions go just fine, but the bad ones are never the inexpensive ones. Personally I won’t use eBay to buy anything for more than $100 and I don’t sell anything worth more than $150.
^^ have had a bit of success, but i also know what i could be getting myself into. i have bought 2 music man amps off ebay with no problems. a good rule of thumb is to make sure the seller has lots and lots of good feedback, the more good feedback the less the chance of a screw over.

as far as your friend goes, sometimes you buy things on ebay you spend more to fix than the price of the item. in fact i have sold broken things on there for super cheap so other people could fix them (and vice versa), but expecting something to work and it doesn't sucks, and it does happen, a seller with more good feedback will be more likely to sell working equipment or be willing to 'handle' the situation

-ae
+1 on the traynor ycv

regarding the BJ versus PJ, the PJ has a tone knob (versus TMB stack on the BJ), the BJ has a master volume, and a footswitchable fat switch, and reverb. I'm guessing the circuit is a bit different too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by That_Guitar_Man
Bandwagon? More like solid state modelers are the bandwagon. Tube amps have been around forever.

No, it’s a bandwagon, but that’s not necessarily bad. Tube amps were out of style as practice amps for a long time and people were more interested in the sound coming out of effects pedal than the sound of the amps. When I started playing guitar the first time around, in the 1990s, I couldn’t have bought a small tube amp if I wanted to because nobody was even carrying them.

I think that modeling and the death of good solid state amps is what brought back tubes, along with the Chinese and Russian factories getting it together and selling good cheap tubes. People who used to buy a simple solid-state amp now have few or no options at retail. I can choose from a dozen small modeling amps and preamps but I can’t even get a Pathfinder at my local stores in lower Manhattan! So if you want something simple it’s tube amp or nothing. But the tube amp makers are responding to the market pretty well—probably because they’ve heard AxeFx units and know that in five or ten years that’s what a cheap modeling amp will sound like.