Ok, I need something to dream about & then actually purchase it lol. Just graduated high school & got a job that pays minimum wage (hey, good enough for me, haha), so I was thinking about making my first venture into the world of tube amps! Let's put my budget at about $1500 (just the amp, getting pedals later). Requirements:
- Does new (not nu) metal well. I don't need straight-up brutal, just enough that'll do Dream Theater, Paul Gilbert, Satriani, etc. stuff well.
- Would be nice if it had decent cleans, but if it has just a really good overdrive channel, I wouldn't care.
- Can be head or combo. No preference.
- I'm not gigging or in a band, but plan on it later, so wattage should be kept around to 60ish. If necessary, I can get an attenuator later on.
- My parents would prefer new, but this is my money, so new or used doesn't matter too much.
I've been looking at the cheaper ENGLs (I tend to favor british sounding amps over american while I'm playing, why? Just like the sound better I guess) But have never played an actual one either so.. yeah. Any reccommendations?
splawn quick rod its a 100 or 120 watt head but has a half power switch so u can run it at 50 or 60 youtube some videos i think u will like it new its out of ur price but u can find them used for 1200 or less
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Raven or a Marshall for sure. Raven gets some crunchy ass sounds and Marshalls are universal, changing with you (as an artist).
First of all: WOAH. A new part time job and your budget is $1,500? What the Hell do you do for work and can I get an application?

Second: A used Mesa Mark IV/V would be a good amp for you.
I love dream theater. John Petrucci loves his Mesas. He has 2 Mark IVs and a Lonestar when he plays live... save your pennies!
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by selkies
splawn quick rod its a 100 or 120 watt head but has a half power switch so u can run it at 50 or 60 youtube some videos i think u will like it new its out of ur price but u can find them used for 1200 or less

That's nice. But bear in mind that 100 W is not twice as loud as 50 W - it's twice as loud as 10 W. Which is why my Marshall TSL100 lets me play at 120 W, or at 20 W. 50 W is not that much quieter than 100 W... it's more the greater clean channel headroom that you get by getting a 100 W amp rather than a 50 W that makes people buy them, as opposed to the distorted volume. They'll both go louder than you can stand...

Also, http://www.mesaboogie.com/gallery_artist/video/Petrucci3.html It's a great vid.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by liberationarmy
Raven or a Marshall for sure. Raven gets some crunchy ass sounds and Marshalls are universal, changing with you (as an artist).

NOOB ALERT
Raven? Seriously? Ravens are made by people who couldn't cut it at crate, and i'd say crate are pretty poor amps as well.

Marshall would be good, but I would look at the used market for them rather than new. Look for a 50 Watt JCM 800 2203. Legendary head with a fantastic british crunch.
Would also look at mesa Double or Triple Rectifier, or an old Mark series.
Orange Dual Terror. Try lots of stuff, don't just focus on a single brand
Last edited by handbanana at Jun 25, 2010,
you could try a Randall RM100M2 with it's varied modules you can basically have any tone you want with it.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
splawn quickrod or nitro. you'd be getting the most amp for your money hands down.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by Zalu

- Does new (not nu) metal well. I don't need straight-up brutal, just enough that'll do Dream Theater, Paul Gilbert, Satriani, etc. stuff well.

Look at a Mesa Mark series or possibly a Peavey JSX as well.