So I'm about to go out of town to my Aunt's restaurant and work my ass off for a month.

The upside is, working 8 hours a day five days a week for ten bucks an hour will yield me a hefty sum of free cash ($1000-$1600)

My plan is to put this money towards some recording equipment for me and my band. I want to be able to record guitars, vocals and drums with this equipment. What equipment will I need to do this? (note that my drummer has a 9 piece double bass kit)

We dont need to be able to record all together.

(Please note that the mixer will need to have usb capabilities)
Quote by rockybo
I'm making an igloo in my backyard later and smoking a bong in it.
Quote by .:BELAM:.
Well Sir, I recommend a freeware program entiled:

Audacity

Please leave, now.

So, $1500 for the entire setup. Here we go:
Presonus Firebox ($400): http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/PreSonus-FireStudio-Project-New-Open-Box?sku=423144
2 KRK Rockit 5s ($300): http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/KRK-Rokit-Powered-5-Generation-2-Powered-Studio-Monitor-Each?sku=482825
Rode NT1-A Mic ($230): http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rode-Microphones-NT1A-Condenser-Mic-Bundle?sku=476502
Shure DMK57-52 Pack ($400): http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-Drum-Mic-Kit?sku=270263
Shure PG52 ($120):http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-PG52XLR-Dynamic-Mic-with-XLR-Cable?sku=270292

Thats $1450 right there and thats probably one of the better setups you'll end up getting. You'll need firewire for the Presonus Firebox to work. If you plan on recording drums, you're going to need a firewire interface.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Well Sir, I recommend a freeware program entiled:

Audacity

I agree with Locks post on what gear to choose.

However also look up other gear and see if it works out better for you. check out Tweaks Guide for some setup tips and lots of info on everything studio related:

http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm
Last edited by moody07747 at Jun 30, 2010,
Wow thank you for being a dick hole.
Last edited by .:BELAM:. at Jun 30, 2010,
Okay wait I just am little puzzled how locks knows his shit when it comes to recording
when he doesn't have any mp3s
Last edited by .:BELAM:. at Jun 30, 2010,
Oh okay and you did?

If I feel another qualified member has posted some great information, I'm going to back him up. No need posting a second list of my own and making the original poster choose between gear that he's not familiar with even buying in the first place.
Well shit do you ever feel like a dumb ass?

Hell yea there are times where I do. If I didn't, I would't be a human being.

So, back to the subject, how are you helping the original poster? (Something this forum was designed and built around).

Edit:
Okay wait I just am little puzzled how locks knows his shit when it comes to recording

So now you're covering up your original posts with edits?

Simple way of life here at UG. Know the you're talking about and help those with questions. If you don't have a clue, don't speak up saying you know everything because that only hurts real people trying to spend their hard earned money.

LOL,

thats right, the distinction between a person who knows what they are talking about and a clueless fool is whether they have mp3s on UG or not.
Okay when I record I just record vocals and rythm/lead guitar.
I don't feel like mp3s on a ug profile is a band thing, more like an individual feat.
So that being so a program suitable for individual efforts such as those would be Audacity.
So yea if he recorded sololy Audacity wouldn't be that bad.
But for band recording no not good at all.
It just occurred to me that he isn't like Me.
So yes my post was irrelevant to the topic.
Okay when I record I just record vocals and rythm/lead guitar.
I don't feel like mp3s on a ug profile is a band thing, more like an individual feat.
So that being so a program suitable for individual efforts such as those would be Audacity.
So yea if he recorded sololy Audacity wouldn't be that bad.
But for band recording no not good at all.
It just occurred to me that he isn't like Me.
So yes my post was irrelevant to the topic.

Oh my lord, he's seen the light

Lol sounds dumb I guess but dude u mean if you record that means you know your recording equipment.
Lol sounds dumb I guess but dude u mean if you record that means you know your recording equipment.

Recording and knowing the gear isn't even half the game...it's knowing how to use all the gear, knowing the software, knowing how each particular piece of equipment reacts to each range of frequency....and how to get the overall killing sound that makes you a true pro when it comes to being a recording engineer.
Recording, I'm a NOOB. So yea I'm gonna use freeware and not spend 1500 dollars on equipment
Quote by dm1925
So I'm about to go out of town to my Aunt's restaurant and work my ass off for a month.

The upside is, working 8 hours a day five days a week for ten bucks an hour will yield me a hefty sum of free cash ($1000-$1600)

My plan is to put this money towards some recording equipment for me and my band. I want to be able to record guitars, vocals and drums with this equipment. What equipment will I need to do this? (note that my drummer has a 9 piece double bass kit)

We dont need to be able to record all together.

(Please note that the mixer will need to have usb capabilities)

I won't give you a list of gear to buy, but it would help if you let everybody know:

* How many inputs you will need (what's the most number of instruments you'll be recording at once)

* What experience you have recording

* What DAW you use

* What you're hoping to achieve from the recordings

* What equipment you all ready own (if any)

From what you have said I'd recommend looking into a usb desk/interface (alesis, peavy & Behringer so some affordable desk/interface combos).

I'd also suggest assembling a set of drum mics, these mics will be great for recording other sound sources too eg. a sure sm57 will sound great on a snare drum but also works perfect on a guitar cab. An AKG D112 will sound good on a kick drum and is great for bass cabs.

Just consider the most you'll be recording at any given time and look into getting appropriate mics (in your case to suit the drum kit, perhaps). The only thing a set of drum mics won't be great for is vocals, you should look into getting a large diaphragm condenser (active) mic if you require a lot of clarity, some dynamic (passive) mics can be comfortable to work with too, but it depends on what kind of vocals you want to record.

Hope this has helped!
Last edited by EatShreddies at Jun 30, 2010,
Recording, I'm a NOOB. So yea I'm gonna use freeware and not spend 1500 dollars on equipment

Though you're banned, there is a major flaw with your logic here. You're not a noob because you're using freeware. You're a noob because you suggested the worst freeware program out there. Anyone with half a brain and access to the internet know there are way better programs out there than Audacity for free.

As for being a dick, I know I was and that was the point. There are a ton of stupid suggestions around here and if everyone is like "That works but...", nothing gets done. You gotta be blunt or else people don't learn.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
For recording software. I'd recommend Reaper. Only 60 USD that's dirt cheap compared to most software out there.. Also suprisingly easy to use.

http://www.reaper.fm/purchase.php
Gear;
Ibanez RG7321
ESP Guitars LTD F-100FM
Spider II 30w
Boss GT-10
Dunlop Wah-wah
Peavey 6505 112 Combo
Quote by kinah7
Wow thank you for being a dick hole.

I've been considered rude too but we get asked the same questions 20 times a day and those questions get answered by people who don't know squat... It gets old. All anyone has to do is get off their lazy ass and read a few pages of posts and usually their questions will be answered 2 or 3 times. And recommending Audacity is just plain ignorant. If you want to record use a DAW like Reaper - it's a FREE download. It works well past the 30-day demo but if you're serious about recording the lousy $60 is a steal so I recommend buying it and help support the developers. And YOU NEED AN INTERFACE to record your guitar if you care anything about sound quality. Plugging your guitar into your Mic port is not the way to go - it'll sound like SQUAT. The cheapest I'd get would be a Line 6 Pod Studio GX1 ($99)... those cheapo Ebay USB to Guitar cable things are a waste of money. Don't buy things you don't need LIKE A MIXER if your just recording a guitar. THERE'S NOTHING TO MIX and you still need an actual Interface.

I don't mind helping NOOBS but when they ask the same questions that are already asked 10 times the same day It gets irritating. If you want to learn recording - SPEND SOME TIME READING FIRST don't just ASK...
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Last edited by strangedogs at Jul 1, 2010,