Hi, I have recently brought a Fender HRDx and whilst I love the clean sound it, as many have said, leaves a lot to be desired when dirtied up a bit. I like to play lots of Hendrix, Cream, Black Keys and RHCP and my ideal tone is something similar to Jimi's.

What pedals would it be worth investing in to get a tone somewhat similar to his? And before you mention it, I know it isn't the greatest amp, and I'm sure it isn't capable of nailing his tone exactly, I just wan't something similar.

It is mainly played with a MIM Strat which will soon have Fender CS69 pups in it if that helps.

Thanks for your time.

TL;DR: What pedals for my HRDx to get a tone similar to hendrix?
It might be worth looking into an analogman sunface. Dan Auerbach uses one, and its a clone of the fuzzface, so it should do hendrix well.
I don't really have a budget, I mean nothing exorbitant, but I will just work towards them and buy them when I can. Will definitely check out the Sunface. Thanks mate.
Quote by porter_668
Do you know anything about the Dunlop reproductions of Jimi's original ones?

I have one, its alright. Not really up to par with other fuzzface clones around.
There are some modern Fuzzfaces that are good and some that are horrid. I believe the Hendrix ones are pretty good but the red ones are rubbish. A good BC108 tranny driven Fuzz Face-like fuzz is the MXR M173. I would reccomend that if you can't dish out $150.
Gotta go with bogg808 on this one. Sunface NKT 275 is your pedal.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
I think I might go with the Analogman Sunface after listening to a few demo's on youtube and such. Also I loved the sound of the Dunlop Octavio pedal, anyone had any luck with that?

Also does anyone know a good place to buy the Sunface, the shops in Aus sell them for approximately $360AU so I'm pondering whether to order from somewhere else?
The Octavio is awesome, but very situational. I wouldn't use it as a typical Hendrix fuzz, but for stuff like Foxy Lady or Purple Haze it's perfect.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Just order direct. from analogman's website.

A decent octavia pedal is the Fulltone Octafuzz. If you've got a higher budget then get the Chicago Iron Octavia. The best value for money octavia IMO would probably be the RETROMAN OCTAVIOUS. Check it out on his website. Its only 165 and there is something like a 6-8 week wait.
Quote by porter_668
Do you know anything about the Dunlop reproductions of Jimi's original ones?

The blue Dunlop Fuzz Face is actually rather good.

Something people are neglecting to mention is that the Ge Fuzz Faces cannot be run on a power supply lacking isolated outputs. The Sun Face, for example, must be run using batteries. If that is an issue for you...perhaps Ge is not the answer.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Jun 25, 2010,
Fuzz Face -> Catalinbread DLS and you're golden
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by bogg808
When was anyone talking about a Catalinbread DLS

When I posted about it?

Edit: Sorry, I forgot we digressed to chatting about Fuzz Faces. I read this:
Quote by porter_668
TL;DR: What pedals for my HRDx to get a tone similar to hendrix?
and decided to offer my input, in case you were wondering specifically. I feel like adding the DLS to the equation would get the TS a lot closer to the Hendrix sound than only running a Fuzz Face into the HRD
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Last edited by IsThereLoveInSp at Jun 25, 2010,
I concur with the DLS recommendation. In fact for clean amp with pedals hendrix tone i would almost certainly prioritise that pedal or a similar marshall flavoured pedal because you're nowhere without some drive.
Thanks mate, I think I might buy the DLS first, and then the Sunface. Or the more likely thing that will happen is I will just impulse buy both outright on credit and go another month without partying. There'll be plenty of time to get blind rolling drunk when I am famous....
There's also the MJM London Fuzz as an alternative to the Sunface.
Can't really go wrong with either though
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Quote by salgala2000
Fuzz face+Crybaby. Keep in mind Jimi's pickups were "backwards" so it will never sound exactly write without doing this.

wat? reverse pickups would barely change the sound, if it did at all.

Also check out that MI Audio Blues overdrive pedal, it's got a fuzz mode switch on it and imo from what i heard off demos it sounds pretty nice for a 60's henrix sound
^The backwards pickups would make a small difference because the guitars he used had staggered polepieces so making them backwards would kind of mess up the correct heights for each string.

Good choice with the Sunface. Great fuzz, high price.
Thanks heaps. Also would the Fender Custom Shop 69's be a good choice of pickup for my MIM strat? From what I have heard they sound pretty good but my knowledge of the different brands of pups out there is fairly limited.
I take by the fact that you haven't mentioned it that this:
Quote by forsaknazrael
Something people are neglecting to mention is that the Ge Fuzz Faces cannot be run on a power supply lacking isolated outputs. The Sun Face, for example, must be run using batteries. If that is an issue for you...perhaps Ge is not the answer.

isn't a problem?
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Yeah I'm more than happy to run off of batteries for now. I don't plan on running too many pedals. Yet anyway :P