I'm looking for a nice amp to step up from my spider 3 75 watt amp. I want a nice amp with great tone and some serious gain. I don't play deathcore or anything but love the gain that artists like dream theater use. Petrucci uses the type i gain that I like and I don't need more than that but he uses quite a bit sometimes. A guy in my town has a legacy combo up for sale for only 500 bucks but i'm not sure about it since it apparenley doesnt have enough gain for some people, which would be me, and doesn't sound anything like a mesa, which I guess is kinda the sound I like. I would go for a mesa over a marshall any day. I've looked and peavey and the 6505 plus combo and valveking both are in my price range and are good amps and reliable. Any thoughts on these amps and other suggestions?
I haven't tried them myself but I hear good things about the Peavey 6505, the Bugera 6262 (6505 knockoff?), and the Bogner .. umm.. I think it's an alchemist model.

Yeah, check this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h8wFOF-hbs pretty fat ass tone.

I'm a dumb ass. Just realized the Bogner is twice what you're looking to spend.
Last edited by furin121 at Jun 25, 2010,
I'd look for a used Mesa DC3/5 or .20/.50Cal, they're easily in your price range and will pretty much nail Petrucci tones.
I think that those mesas seem sick but I would never get to play them before I bought one. They are kinda hard to find too. Any other thoughts on those peaveys?
Quote by seemeel
You should get 2x Mark IVs and a Lonestar, for that genuine Petrucci tone. Should be within budget.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/gallery_artist/video/Petrucci3.html

Depends which Petrucci tone you're after. Images & Words, Metropolis Pt. 2 and parts of 6 Degrees of Inner Turbulence and Octavarium are Mark IIC+, Awake was quad tracked Dual Recto and IIC+, Liquid Tension Experiment stuff was a Triaxis I believe (LTE 1), and a Mark IV (LTE 2), Falling Into Infinity was IIC+ and some Recto again, Train of Though was all Roadking, Systematic Chaos all Mark IV, and Black Clouds and Silver Linings was the Mark IIC+, IV and some V too.
Oh dear. Well good sir I take my hat off you to you. You certainly know your stuff.

I will qualify my statement: John's current live setup involves 2x Mark IVs and a Lonestar... hopefully no more hopeless Petrucci tragics will show up!
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
wow well I'd say that I love his tone on both systematic chaos and bcasl. Lets see ummm...I guess I dig the rhythm tone he used on constant motion, rite of passage, nightmare to remember. Lead stuff I love his tone on constant motion, but also on count of tuscany and rite of passage. I don't know if that helps but I guess I like his new tone a lot.
I love the lead tone from The Spirit Carries On (almost learned that solo!)...

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Quote by seemeel
You should get 2x Mark IVs and a Lonestar, for that genuine Petrucci tone. Should be within budget.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/gallery_artist/video/Petrucci3.html

Huh?

Maybe you should show me where I can get 2 MkIV and a Lonestar for the price of a 6505.

TS, maybe save up some more and wait for the Bugera Magician?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
Huh?

Yeah, I misread the 700 for ∞, my bad.

Quote by seemeel
Oh dear. Well good sir I take my hat off you to you. You certainly know your stuff.

I will qualify my statement: John's current live setup involves 2x Mark IVs and a Lonestar... hopefully no more hopeless Petrucci tragics will show up!

Hate do do this again, but that was his older live rig. His current live rig is 3 Mark Vs
Last edited by littlephil at Jun 25, 2010,
Used Peavey JSX, used Mark III, I haven't tried it yet but maybe try the Jet City JCA100, or Bugera Magician.
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey Windsor head

Custom Ibanez RG
ESP EC-1000
Quote by littlephil
Hate do do this again, but that was his older live rig. His current live rig is 3 Mark Vs

Current according to the clowns at MesaBoogie.com!

Quote by seemeel

Current according to the clowns at MesaBoogie.com!

You'd think they'd have it right!
Mesa/Boogie = brilliant amps. I think we can say they have awesome engineers (how great are engineers in general though?) but a slack webmaster...

Last edited by seemeel at Jun 25, 2010,
And say a mark 3...that would have some serious gain right? What about the f50, dc3 and dc5? All of which I could get used from guitar center for less than 650.
Quote by hellraiser11
And say a mark 3...that would have some serious gain right? What about the f50, dc3 and dc5? All of which I could get used from guitar center for less than 650.

For the Mark III it depends on the stripe. The DC-5 should be able to get there, not sure about the F-50 or DC-3, but you'll probably want to have an OD pedal of some sort for tightening purposes, which should get you there anyway.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
petrucci's entire rig is probably worth a house

3 mark v's and about 15 ebmm BFR's is just the beginning!

erm yea back to the original point

wait for a the bugera magician

or go for a bugera 333XL

if u go used, ur options open up

u friggin yanks have such a good used market, the UK fails epically...
ya i've heard about those amps but I've heard bad things about bugera... I really think that a mesa would be the best for me. I mean it's literally what I'm looking for sonically but I'll check out the bugera stuff. When does the magician come out?
Quote by hellraiser11
ya i've heard about those amps but I've heard bad things about bugera... I really think that a mesa would be the best for me. I mean it's literally what I'm looking for sonically but I'll check out the bugera stuff. When does the magician come out?

im guess in a few months time, its going under US security checks n shit, its already out the in the UK

from what i know, only the first bugeras had problems, i dont think there too bad now
you should have jumped on the Legacy IMO, $500 is pretty good. That's about what the cheaper X100b's go for I think.

I hope I don't sound too ignorant, but Vai and Petrucci aren't really at opposite ends of the tonal spectrum. No matter what you get (besides a Mesa Mark) you'll probably end up using an OD to get more gain anyways.