so i just graduated from high school and i took a guitar class for a semester. it was classical guitar. we learned chord progressions, intro to fingerpicking, intro to power chords, some blues. nothing in depth, just a taste of different things.

so now im on my own for learning guitar. im planning on getting an electric soon... and i need some sort of direction to my practice. a teacher might be an option depending on price, but i want to save as much as possible.

so are there any good books out there that go in depth with technique? i want to play classic rock. and im planning on getting a strat in the next couple weeks.
There's loads of good technique threads on the guitar techniques forum, whatever you do do not buy John Petrucci's rock discipline, it's crap - except for the section on chords.
Quote by patrickodang

so are there any good books out there that go in depth with technique? i want to play classic rock. and im planning on getting a strat in the next couple weeks.

Principles of Correct Practice for Guitar is very in-depth. Though be prepared that it's a lot of text, but includes some very very very useful info. Then books like Classical Guitarist's Handbook are great. If you want some book with lots of exercises, The Ultimate Guitar Workout might work for you.
Quote by Slayertplsko
Principles of Correct Practice for Guitar is very in-depth. Though be prepared that it's a lot of text, but includes some very very very useful info.

I think there may also be a video now for Principles of Correct Practice for Guitar. I haven't seen it, but the author has some videos on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVC-xJDtHiw&playnext_from=TL&videos=Dnl1laFgC8I
Quote by patrickodang
so i just graduated from high school and i took a guitar class for a semester. it was classical guitar. we learned chord progressions, intro to fingerpicking, intro to power chords, some blues. nothing in depth, just a taste of different things.

so now im on my own for learning guitar. im planning on getting an electric soon... and i need some sort of direction to my practice. a teacher might be an option depending on price, but i want to save as much as possible.

Learning songs is the best way to master technique IMO.First however, you need to learn what those techniques are. As far as classic rock goes, you'll want to learn the major scale, pentatonic scales (these are the main scales used in most classic rock), basic chord theory (there’s a couple of good lessons right here on UG). Try and learn with songs, if you can. It’ll help you realize how this stuff is applied, instead of just boring yourself learning technique.
Principles of Correct Practice for Guitar is a very solid book, but as mentioned earlier, be ready for a lot of information coming at you.
Maybe you can post some guitarist you want to play like, and we can help you from there.
Check out jayninevideolessons.wordpress.com
Online Video Guitar lessons, ebooks, and so on. This above blog is how you may contact me for more information, or email me at jayninelessons@gmail.com
well my favorite artists are van halen, AC/DC, guns n roses, def leppard, led zeppelin so ide really like to play their stuff. but i kind of want to stay away from the internet. there are too many distractions and no order to anything so i don't know where to go.

also is guitar pro worth getting to learn songs?
Quote by patrickodang
well my favorite artists are van halen, AC/DC, guns n roses, def leppard, led zeppelin so ide really like to play their stuff. but i kind of want to stay away from the internet. there are too many distractions and no order to anything so i don't know where to go.

also is guitar pro worth getting to learn songs?

Get Tuxguitar, it's free and can read guitar pro and powertab files.
IMO there is no one good book, but there are alot of lousy books as well. Do what I did, read as many of them as you can. There are alot of simple books as there are complex books. Read enough of them and you will find that one good book that fits your style of playing and/or learning. Check out used books at www.abebooks.com. You could spend 50 bucks and have 50 books there.
the guitar grimoire for scales is great to learn scales... but thats more of the theory side and you want technique, but i would keep that in mind since you need to know scales to improv :P