Page 1 of 3
After reading an article on bad bands I saw a lot of suggestions in the comments to put Muse on the list. Why?

I would like to know what Im missing here.

Why do you hate them?
and give me some real evidence, not the usual one liners...
People are also jealous
I personally don't like their music, but they are all very talented.
Haters are ignorant and can go suck it
Quote by genghisgandhi
Your mom had a botched abortion, and you were the result.

Need a laugh?
Quote by MetaIronForce

._______________
||
|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|
|__LOLOMETER__|

That deserved a lolmeter

If i had to sum it up in one sentence, i would say i dislike muse because i find their music monotonous.
Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
People are also jealous

I think that's pretty well true. Muse has come up with something very new and special. Their live shows have set the bar in so many ways. They've given this generation a band we can actually be proud of.
This band doesn't really sound like anything special, sort of like run-of-the-mill modern rock; nothing that I'm particularly fond of. I'm fairly certain there was/are other bands doing the same thing except better. Also, is it so inconceivable that your music tastes might differ from that of someone else?
I'm not in to muse, but I've heard a few of their songs and they seem pretty good. I think bellamy has a great voice, but that was really the only thing that stood out to me.
I'd say they're special. This band gets next to no radio play in Canada, no media coverage and definitely nothing in any merch stores in the malls. Muse has no support here that mainstream bands such as Nickelback or Billy Talent have. But somehow Muse managed to fill arenas all across North America this year without any external support that many bands receive from the media. These concerts were pretty much completely un-hyped and most people in N America have no idea what Muse are to begin with.

The point is Muse built their North American fanbase purely through hard work and Musicianship instead of hype or them being popular at the time.

Muse have earned a little respect. Their latest tour is at 127 shows and growing. All of these shows being in 20,000 seat arenas and 100,000 + seat stadiums in Europe. There are VERY few bands who can do those huge arena shows much less sell them out(they sold out Stade de France to name one). So I don't think there is a band who is pulling this genre off better then Muse. They're one of the few bands who's sound can actually fill the venues that they play. Epic solos (actually epic not just fast metal), crashing piano chords, soaring vocals. I'd say they're quite unique
Last edited by Styxonthebrain at Jun 27, 2010,
Even if you don't like Muse, if you watched them at Glastonbury last night you would have been impressed, I am sure of it. I think that is probably why they sell out arenas, word of mouth and all, I haven't actually seen them live but the 2 concerts I have seen them play on TV leads me to believe they are one of the best live bands at the moment.
though i dont really like muse, they are the most tolerable pop-rock band to me
sɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɥʇıʍ poob ʇou ɯı uʍop ǝpısdn sıɥʇ sı ʎɥʍ pob ɥo
There are a lot of people out there that just can't stand anything popular. Coldplay and Muse are probably the best example of this.
There's 2 or 3 songs on there that are mainstream radio imo. I don't think the 15 min symphony or the 7 minute song with the organ intro count. I don't think the one with the french interlude in the middle counts either, or the one that has a queen-esque vibe with very little guitar and the Chopin section at the end doesn't sound very mainstream. That leaves us with 4/11 songs (which I've only ever heard 2 of on the radio). I wouldn't call The Resistance a mainstream radio album album at all...
Last edited by Styxonthebrain at Jul 2, 2010,
Quote by JxD
This band doesn't really sound like anything special, sort of like run-of-the-mill modern rock; nothing that I'm particularly fond of. I'm fairly certain there was/are other bands doing the same thing except better. Also, is it so inconceivable that your music tastes might differ from that of someone else?

Run-of-the-mill? I'm sorry, no argument. You're wrong. Look again. Look at their progress as a band. For one, nothing generic about that. For two, hating actually has very little to do with musical tastes. It has more to do with maturity. Saying bands like Muse, Coldplay, The Beatles, etc...etc.. just straight up suck...I mean come on, at least give credit where credit is due. I don't like certain bands but unless they are Ke$ha, Soulja Boy, or 3OH!3, I'm able to give credit where credit is due.

For those who say Muse sucks, listen to Plug in Baby, Uprising, and Starlight. You can not like them but don't say they don't have talent.

And for the record, I just named 3 out of the 5 Muse songs I know. I'm not a big fan of Muse, but they are indeed a good band.
Quote by JxD
I don't really think it's worth seeing a band in a space bigger than a basement, which might be one of the reasons this band doesn't really do it for me.

That makes absolutely no sense....so a band that plays in a place bigger than a basement is not worth seeing?
I'm not a muse fan. I really don't like bellam's voice and I think their songs and vocal melodies are quite samey. It's not my cup of tea so I don't listen to it, but I wouldn't say they're shit and I wouldn't go on an anti muse hate campeign. It's just not worth the time or effort : )
Quote by Finalconflict
That makes absolutely no sense....so a band that plays in a place bigger than a basement is not worth seeing?

Compared to basement shows, anything with a stage just sucks.
http://soundcloud.com/dawwwstin
Quote by Sever_the_Skull
stfu spaghetti asshole

Quote by itachi-sasori
thats like... a really broad range... how can you like dragonforce AND beethoven Dx
It totally depends on the type of music and what you're into. Some grungy/alternative stuff that isn't meant for the radio not to mention the stage will sound a lot better in a basement then an arena.

Music like Muse's contains epic themes and lyrics, crashing piano chords, delay filled solos and HUGE stage presence. Only in an arena can this type of music be appreciated.

Only in a basement can more simple music be appreciated.
Quote by Finalconflict
Run-of-the-mill? I'm sorry, no argument. You're wrong. Look again. Look at their progress as a band. For one, nothing generic about that. For two, hating actually has very little to do with musical tastes. It has more to do with maturity. Saying bands like Muse, Coldplay, The Beatles, etc...etc.. just straight up suck...I mean come on, at least give credit where credit is due. I don't like certain bands but unless they are Ke$ha, Soulja Boy, or 3OH!3, I'm able to give credit where credit is due.

For those who say Muse sucks, listen to Plug in Baby, Uprising, and Starlight. You can not like them but don't say they don't have talent.

And for the record, I just named 3 out of the 5 Muse songs I know. I'm not a big fan of Muse, but they are indeed a good band.

I don't understand how claiming that Muse is run-of-the-mill isn't an argument. To me, they sound like radio-friendly alternative rock. I'm not into radio-friendly alternative rock, therefore I don't like Muse. Is that train of thought really so hard to understand? I'm sure I could give their music a better chance to grow on me, but I don't understand why I would waste my time with such an endeavor when there's a lot of other music I would vastly prefer listening to. I could care less if Muse is or is not talented, I'm not going to admit or deny their talent because it's completely irrelevant if I have no interest in listening to them. Also, not once did I ever say that I harbor any sort of blind animosity for them, so I would prefer if you didn't put words in my mouth by suggesting that I hate them.

Quote by Final Conflict

Special exceptions can be made (if the venue is small), but I don't really see the point of going to sit in a stadium several hundred feet away from a band I like to hear them play a bunch of songs with the same amount of intimacy that I get from my record player. When I see a band, I want to be within arms reach at all times, the same goes for when I play shows. I don't want any disconnect between bands and the audience.

Quote by Styxonthebrain
Music like Muse's contains epic themes and lyrics, crashing piano chords, delay filled solos and HUGE stage presence. Only in an arena can this type of music be appreciated.

Only in a basement can more simple music be appreciated.

If you knew what you were missing out on, you would never attend an arena show ever again.
Muse song generator:

1. Arpeggiated chords/Broken chords
2. Radio friendly chord progression
3. Lyrics include: Corporations/Mind control/Government
4. Arena friendly chorus
5. PROFIT!!!

tl;dr Every Muse song, ever.
Where are some points showing that they suck?

So far it's been they're now the worlds biggest band so it makes them bad. That doesn't make you bad!@!@ A lot of people who claim they hate Muse have to be purely jealous that their favorite band isn't as big as them. Alice in Chains isn't as big as Muse so I HATE Muse isn't a good reason to hate on a band who has built their fanbase only through touring and playing small venues until they became known. And now that they play big venues they have managed to take the same feeling from the small club and multiply it by 100x onto the arena stage. Muse isn't your classic arena band. Bellamy has some of the best stage presence seen in a while. He's actually brought rockstar back to the stage instead of off the stage overdoses and other "rockstar" shit. There are very few bands who have unique frontmen like him these days.

A lot of people say that Muse is a band for clever people. (Like the Muselive website's slogan "Rock for Clever People") This could also be why people say they hate them. They just don't understand the music or the messages. As soon as it isn't metal or grungy/alternative it's too much for them to grasp.

**Now lets see some valid reasons for you to actually HATE Muse. So far people have just said it isn't their thing. That isn't hate!. If there aren't any actual good reasons to hate Muse then the answer to the question that started this thread is: There is no Muse Hate, people are jealous that they've become the biggest band of the decade and they aren't some shit metal band or some 90's band that's still holding on.**

It's nice to know that hard work can still get you somewhere in Music
Quote by slorggetti

I don't care enough to hate or like muse, or even form a opinion. But I cared enough to open this read, and laugh at this.
Quote by Malakian88
Oh my bloody god. Imagine if you were a girl and you woke up to find your little brother's friend standing over you with his erect penis on your breasts...

Indeed.
Quote by soccermom
I don't care enough to hate or like muse, or even form a opinion. But I cared enough to open this read, and laugh at this.

No laughing matter. That's a fact, brah. The intimacy and experience you get a small basement gig is infinitely better than anything you could get a gig with a stage. You can't connect with the artists looking down on you and you can't connect with the artists being confined to a seat hundreds of feet away from them.
Quote by Sever_the_Skull
stfu spaghetti asshole

Quote by itachi-sasori
thats like... a really broad range... how can you like dragonforce AND beethoven Dx
Quote by Styxonthebrain
A lot of people say that Muse is a band for clever people. (Like the Muselive website's slogan "Rock for Clever People") This could also be why people say they hate them. They just don't understand the music or the messages. As soon as it isn't metal or grungy/alternative it's too much for them to grasp.

I've never liked what I've heard of Muse enough to check them out properly, but I've generally found the lyrics I have heard to be fairly trite, generic, vague proclaimations. If you were directing someone - like me - who doesn't really know much about Muse towards evidence to the contrary, where would you direct them?
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
Quote by slorggetti
No laughing matter. That's a fact, brah. The intimacy and experience you get a small basement gig is infinitely better than anything you could get a gig with a stage. You can't connect with the artists looking down on you and you can't connect with the artists being confined to a seat hundreds of feet away from them.

Maybe people don't want to 'connect with the artist', maybe they just want to see a song and dance show avec fireworks. I personally do prefer intimate gigs, as I can imagine a lot of people do. But I am not going to make a statement like 'all gigs with stages suck'.
Quote by Malakian88
Oh my bloody god. Imagine if you were a girl and you woke up to find your little brother's friend standing over you with his erect penis on your breasts...

Indeed.
Quote by slorggetti

Bands that play basement shows, probably. But to my knowledge Muse doesn't play basement shows so saying they aren't worth seeing/suck because of that is just dumb.

Weezer doesn't play basement shows yet they put on a kickass show. Rivers put on a blond wig, climbed up the stage, and sang a MGMT/Lady Gaga mash-up. Yeah, that show didn't suck at all.
Quote by JxD
I don't understand how claiming that Muse is run-of-the-mill isn't an argument. To me, they sound like radio-friendly alternative rock. I'm not into radio-friendly alternative rock, therefore I don't like Muse. Is that train of thought really so hard to understand?

Because they aren't run-of-the-mill?
No, that train of thought isn't so hard to understand but if the points you use to base your arguments aren't exactly 100% correct it can be a little confusing.

Such as "run-of-the-mill" which is basically defined as something average that is in no way special. I don't know about you but I have not heard of any band like Muse.

And the band Muse is not "The Resistance" or "Black Holes and Revelations". All six albums make up Muse. Which is again why I say they are in no way run of the mill.

I'm sure I could give their music a better chance to grow on me, but I don't understand why I would waste my time with such an endeavor when there's a lot of other music I would vastly prefer listening to. I could care less if Muse is or is not talented, I'm not going to admit or deny their talent because it's completely irrelevant if I have no interest in listening to them. Also, not once did I ever say that I harbor any sort of blind animosity for them, so I would prefer if you didn't put words in my mouth by suggesting that I hate them.

I didn't actually say you hated them. I said the word hating in response to the thread...but I didn't say you hate them. I'd appreciate it if while you are accusing me of putting words in your mouth that you don't put words in mine.

Special exceptions can be made (if the venue is small), but I don't really see the point of going to sit in a stadium several hundred feet away from a band I like to hear them play a bunch of songs with the same amount of intimacy that I get from my record player. When I see a band, I want to be within arms reach at all times, the same goes for when I play shows. I don't want any disconnect between bands and the audience.

If you knew what you were missing out on, you would never attend an arena show ever again.

I do.
1. Never been to an arena show. Never will. Why? Because only Carrie Underwood and Nickelback come to the arena's here.
2. I've been to basement shows and festival shows. Third Eye Blind was ****ing amazing when they played a basement show but I've seen close to the same amount of basement and festival shows and my god the festival shows beat out basement shows. Someone rushes the stage at a basement show, their ass is thrown out. Someone rushes the stage at a festival show, they sing the goddamn chorus.
Quote by PotBellyShogun
Muse song generator:

1. Arpeggiated chords/Broken chords
2. Radio friendly chord progression
3. Lyrics include: Corporations/Mind control/Government
4. Arena friendly chorus
5. PROFIT!!!

tl;dr Every Muse song, ever.

1. The things regarding the chords are incorrect. Go listen again.
2. Their lyrics are far better than bands that sing only about gruesome death, hell, and unimaginative and un-described suffering.
3. Oh no they are making money! Wow this is probably the shittiest argument ever. A band is bad if they make money. Yeah that's great logic which holds as much water in a music discussion as "I don't like the color of the singer's second cousin's hair."
Last edited by Finalconflict at Jul 6, 2010,
I like muse but their stage show definitely turns me off. Laser lights and UFOs are a pointless distraction in my mind.

Quote by wilty00
Aren't you kind of scared walking around in the dark with a carniverous loon on the loose?
Quote by Finalconflict
Someone rushes the stage at a basement show, their ass is thrown out. Someone rushes the stage at a festival show, they sing the goddamn chorus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coM5sPHfk60
wut
Quote by Sever_the_Skull
stfu spaghetti asshole

Quote by itachi-sasori
I hate the way he breathes into the microphone all the time. It's annoying enough to stop me listening to their music, even though Origin of Symmetry is quite good otherwise.
Quote by slorggetti

This. Of course it's all opinions so let's kick back and start breeding.
Quote by Finalconflict
Someone rushes the stage at a basement show, their ass is thrown out. Someone rushes the stage at a festival show, they sing the goddamn chorus.

That's completely backwards.

Anyways, Muse is aight. They've got some good songs but most of it is pretty much radio rock to me.
Quote by Zycho
That's completely backwards.

No it's not. We're just talking about two different kinds of basement shows. Where I live every music venue other than the Civic Center is a basement but they have tight security.
I hate bands in general where the male lead singers sound like high pitched wussies. if leonard cohen or tom waits covered a muse song, it would be tolerable
My Songs:
God of Thunder - Kiss
Detroit Rock City - Kiss
The Metal - Tenacious D
Tush - ZZ Top
Open invitation - Santana
Hog Bitch Stomp - Buckethead
They haven't been interesting since Origin of Symmetry. Their last few "efforts" are actually quite grating on my ears. However, I agree with the others in disliking arena shows. Generally overpriced, less band presence, can't hang out with the band after, sorta feels incomplete for me.

Quote by Finalconflict
No it's not. We're just talking about two different kinds of basement shows. Where I live every music venue other than the Civic Center is a basement but they have tight security.

You should rent out your basement with a sign saying "No Security". I guarantee you that the money would be relentless ... along with the lawsuits
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
^^Bro, I live in a very small town in Florida xD No basement...just old people and cops... xD

Quote by mora101
I hate bands in general where the male lead singers sound like high pitched wussies. if leonard cohen or tom waits covered a muse song, it would be tolerable

Muse =/= Random Scene Kid Band
Page 1 of 3