So what's the deal with people swapping out their stock tuning heads on guitars? I have an Epiphone G-400 that i'm doing over, and I'm wondering if it's worthwhile swapping out the stock grovers?
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
If a guitar doesnt hold tune very well, most people swap out tuners, usually for locking ones, as well as swap out for a quality nut.

If your doing this, i suggest gotoh/sperzel tuners, and a graphtech nut.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Another common reason is to change the gear ratio. A higher gear ratio can make it easier to make precise tuning adjustments.
My Tele Project!

Cheapy Johnson Steel String Acoustic
Les Paul Ripoff w/ SD SH2 and SH4
Modded Crate V18 2x12 w/ Weber Speakers
Squier Deluxe 5-string Active J-Bass
Acoustic B100 15" Bass Combo Amp
Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
well on the topic of tuners are esp tuners good quality? cause from time to time it seems like on the e and a strings the tuners are just way to touchy but on the high e and b strings it takes forever to get it up to the note and i'm always afraid somethins screwed up and i'm gonna snap a string
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
^I think that may just have to do with the tensions of the strings, I'm not positive though. I know that for me, my stock Epiphone tuners are surprisingly good. With the correct string tying technique-thing, it will stay in tune for a good week and a half.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Ratios are the most common reason for a tunner change...or to get locking ones.

I myself replaced mine mainly because I wanted gold instead of black, but they did have a higher gear ratio and boy does it make tunning a lot easier and more exact.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
how would that affect it? althought that does make sense since the low strings screw up when i tune drop c and the high strings screw up when i tune up to standard
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo