Alright, so I have a budget of around 950$. I play a wide variety of stuff, mainly progressive metal (think Opeth BTBAM Dream Theater), and a bit of shred. A seven string is ok, and I would prefer the stock to be good, but I would probably eventually upgrade it anyways. Thanks .
an ibanez S would be nice
also if you can find an ibanez RG 550 in good condition
just dont fall for crap like LTD or Jackson
i have had a jackson it just does not have any versatility
but my ibanez RG550 is a dream
Quote by stephen_rettie
A nice Ibanez S.

I looked into it, but are the stock Ibanez pickups any good?
Quote by bizcuits212
I looked into it, but are the stock Ibanez pickups any good?

it really depends on what S you are buying the prestige model has great pick ups
but if i was you i would put some demarzzios in any new guitar you get but if you get a used one play with it in the store and try every pick up in every position on the guitar and do it with different amps to see if the are right
Quote by harboe12
it really depends on what S you are buying the prestige model has great pick ups
but if i was you i would put some demarzzios in any new guitar you get but if you get a used one play with it in the store and try every pick up in every position on the guitar and do it with different amps to see if the are right

Good idea, and I will definitely be putting dimarzios in, I hate the sound of emgs. But I think I've brought it down to either an S or RG, opinions?
Quote by bizcuits212
Good idea, and I will definitely be putting dimarzios in, I hate the sound of emgs. But I think I've brought it down to either an S or RG, opinions?

definitely a RG prestige..the S prestige costs 1400,and so its way over budget,prestige line is ibanez's high quality line for the US,and they are superior than normal ibanez's in almost everyway(mainly the quality,fret finishing,hardware and the tremolo),and for 999,you can buy a Rg1570 prestige

Quote by archenemyfan
definitely a RG prestige..the S prestige costs 1400,and so its way over budget,prestige line is ibanez's high quality line for the US,and they are superior than normal ibanez's in almost everyway(mainly the quality,fret finishing,hardware and the tremolo),and for 999,you can buy a Rg1570 prestige

From what I understand, the prestiges are made in japan, so I'm getting a much higher quality guitar?
Quote by bizcuits212
From what I understand, the prestiges are made in japan, so I'm getting a much higher quality guitar?

yes..you're getting a much higher quality guitar if you buy a prestige
Last edited by archenemyfan at Jun 25, 2010,
rg prestige is a good guitar if you can find one in your price range play the hell out of it at first to see if you like it then buy the hell out of it but i got lucky and found a RG550 these are made in Japan its the guitar all the 90s shredders were using such a Paul Gilbert and John Petrucci if you find one of those they should be in you price range the problem is finding one but maybe you will get lucky like i did also if you do find a 550 keep it all original
Quote by archenemyfan
yes..you get a much higher quality guitar than a normal ibanez..

also higher quality then most other big guitar brands like gibson or jackson
Quote by harboe12

just dont fall for crap like LTD or Jackson
i have had a jackson it just does not have any versatility
but my ibanez RG550 is a dream

What? My Jackson DK2M is incredibly versatile, and I'm sure most Jackson owners would say the same about their own guitars. Okay, things like the RR24 aren't, but if you buy a guitar with only a single EMG 81 pickup, you should know what to expect!

And again, saying that Ibanez prestige are "higher quality" than other big brands is pushing it. All the major brands build their guitars really well when it gets to that price point, and it purely comes down to personal opinion which is best for you.
Quote by Confuse-a-Cat

And again, saying that Ibanez prestige are "higher quality" than other big brands is pushing it. All the major brands build their guitars really well when it gets to that price point, and it purely comes down to personal opinion which is best for you.

mostly yeah,but trems and fret finishing(not much) on prestiges are superior than the trems and finshing on other guitars at that price...but as a result,pickups arent as good and no fancy paint jobs too..
Last edited by archenemyfan at Jun 25, 2010,
Find a used, MIJ Ibanez.

I got a used, near-mint RG570 from 2000 for $380 and it has very similar specs to what is now the RG1570. The only differences are that it doesn't have the Prestige logo, has an original Edge bridge, and has a Super Wizard neck profile.

All that for 38% of the cost of a new Prestige guitar with similar specs.

PRS SE Custom 24 or Singlecut.

IMHO, they're both perfect for playing stuff like Opeth and BTBAM.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Confuse-a-Cat
What? My Jackson DK2M is incredibly versatile, and I'm sure most Jackson owners would say the same about their own guitars. Okay, things like the RR24 aren't, but if you buy a guitar with only a single EMG 81 pickup, you should know what to expect!

+1
I tried out the RG1570 out and loved it. But since I will be replacing the pickups with Dimarzios, which ones should I put on for my mentioned styles?
Dimarzio Fred is the best Bridge Pickup ive ever tried would definately recommend it.
SMILE!
Quote by bizcuits212
I tried out the RG1570 out and loved it. But since I will be replacing the pickups with Dimarzios, which ones should I put on for my mentioned styles?

great!

now all you have to do is email tech@dimarzio.com and tell them the sort of sound you're after,and they'll recommend you the best pups to your preference and also send the wiring diagrams along with them.

so did you buy the 1570?
Quote by archenemyfan
great!

now all you have to do is email tech@dimarzio.com and tell them the sort of sound you're after,and they'll recommend you the best pups to your preference and also send the wiring diagrams along with them.

so did you buy the 1570?

About to write an email, and I definitely will be buying it on Sunday, thanks for your help .
Quote by bizcuits212
About to write an email, and I definitely will be buying it on Sunday, thanks for your help .

no problem.always glad to help

tell them kinda sound you're looking out of the pup..also mention the body wood

"example : not very warm,but with lots of high end and a sharp attack"..get it?
Quote by archenemyfan
no problem.always glad to help

tell them kinda sound you're looking out of the pup..also mention the body wood

"example : not very warm,but with lots of high end and a sharp attack"..get it?

sent the email, waiting for response, thanks again
Quote by bizcuits212

Well, Paul Waggoner of BTBAM uses Dimarzio D-Activators, so consider that.
Quote by Arterial
Well, Paul Waggoner of BTBAM uses Dimarzio D-Activators, so consider that.

AFAIK, he doesn't use them anymore; he stopped using them when he switched to the PRS Custom 24.
I'm pretty sure he's now using the stock PRS HFS treble and PRS Vintage bass pickups.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
I was recommended a D-Activator Bridge, Liquifire, and True Velvet middle pickup. Does that sound like a good choice?
Last edited by bizcuits212 at Jun 25, 2010,
Quote by Confuse-a-Cat

Agreed. After originally buying my jackson back in 04, I won't even touch another Ibanez. Ibanez fanboys love to say how great they are....Jacksons are not versitile...lol

Lets see....comparison
Jackson amazing action, slim neck....Ibanez equal
Jackson amazing build quality, holds up great, same with Ibanez
Jackson amazing stock pickups, Ibanez, have to swap or your stuck with trash

Hmmm I'd say go for a Jackson rather then dumping an extra couple hundred into pickups to improve sound. I was judging that at about a 700 price range.

For the record I like Ibanez overall....Just prefer when you get a real comparison. Whatever you get hope you enjoy. Oh and play an atx c-7 sound great.
Quote by bizcuits212
I was recommended a D-Activator Bridge, Liquifire, and True Velvet middle pickup. Does that sound like a good choice?

^..
Quote by bizcuits212

Sounds good to me. The D-Activator is a high-output pickup which will help you get the heavy tone you want. Dunno much about the True Velvet but it's recommended a lot... The LiquiFire is John Petrucci's signature neck pickup. It's essentially a custom Air Norton. As for the tonal differences between the two, I couldn't tell you, but they're probably extremely similar.

Quote by kramer242
Agreed. After originally buying my jackson back in 04, I won't even touch another Ibanez. Ibanez fanboys love to say how great they are....Jacksons are not versitile...lol

Lets see....comparison
Jackson amazing action, slim neck....Ibanez equal
Jackson amazing build quality, holds up great, same with Ibanez
Jackson amazing stock pickups, Ibanez, have to swap or your stuck with trash

Hmmm I'd say go for a Jackson rather then dumping an extra couple hundred into pickups to improve sound. I was judging that at about a 700 price range.

For the record I like Ibanez overall....Just prefer when you get a real comparison. Whatever you get hope you enjoy. Oh and play an atx c-7 sound great.

Any guitar can be versatile to some extent. Exactly how versatile is up to the pickups, amp, and player.

Sure, Jackson has good stock pickups, but when you consider that the stock pickups in a Jackson might cost you $160-$200 and you're paying $700 for the guitar, you can do the math. Whereas with Ibanez, their cheaper (but still decent, depending on the model) pickups allow them to make guitars like the RG1570 have great build quality, hardware, and wood without costing a lot of money.

Ibanez stock pickups are not "trash". I have an RG570 and they're fine... They're versatile, but can't do one thing extremely well (which is actually what i hear people saying about the Seymour Duncan JB- the stock pickup in the Jackson DK2 model).

Also, Ibanez and Jackson necks are not "equal". They're both slim and flat, but I've preferred the neck of an Ibanez over every Jackson neck I've played.
Quote by Pac_man0123
Sounds good to me. The D-Activator is a high-output pickup which will help you get the heavy tone you want. Dunno much about the True Velvet but it's recommended a lot... The LiquiFire is John Petrucci's signature neck pickup. It's essentially a custom Air Norton. As for the tonal differences between the two, I couldn't tell you, but they're probably extremely similar.

Any guitar can be versatile to some extent. Exactly how versatile is up to the pickups, amp, and player.

Sure, Jackson has good stock pickups, but when you consider that the stock pickups in a Jackson might cost you $160-$200 and you're paying $700 for the guitar, you can do the math. Whereas with Ibanez, their cheaper (but still decent, depending on the model) pickups allow them to make guitars like the RG1570 have great build quality, hardware, and wood without costing a lot of money.

Ibanez stock pickups are not "trash". I have an RG570 and they're fine... They're versatile, but can't do one thing extremely well (which is actually what i hear people saying about the Seymour Duncan JB- the stock pickup in the Jackson DK2 model).

Also, Ibanez and Jackson necks are not "equal". They're both slim and flat, but I've preferred the neck of an Ibanez over every Jackson neck I've played.

like i said not major issue with ibanez here. just some ppl will sit here and trash every guitar made with no research. I, personally have played ibanez's and jackson's in the same price range. Both solid guitars. Maybe I should not have said the pick ups were trash, but I personally did not like them. The necks on the Ibbys are impressive, but when playing a Jackson they are too similar to really make a difference.
Quote by bizcuits212

that sounds good to me
that combo is more suited to metal styles

BTW what is BTBAM?
Quote by kramer242
like i said not major issue with ibanez here. just some ppl will sit here and trash every guitar made with no research. I, personally have played ibanez's and jackson's in the same price range. Both solid guitars. Maybe I should not have said the pick ups were trash, but I personally did not like them. The necks on the Ibbys are impressive, but when playing a Jackson they are too similar to really make a difference.

Yeah sure they are,but what makes the ibanez a little bit better for the price is the tremolo(IMO)...jacksons at that range have LFR's or FRT-1000 on the other hand ibanez's have either the incredible edge pro or the Edge Zero,which I believe are superior to jackson LFR's and FRT's..

Really,whats the point anyway?you guys are ignoring TS's questions and trying to convince one another that a "certain" brand is better,which we know will never happen as this has been going on for years...

Now just END this,its turning into a stupid argument ...if you think that jackson is better,OK,but just dont post it in this thread and turn it into another stupid argument like most threads in UG turn out to be...
Last edited by archenemyfan at Jun 26, 2010,
Quote by archenemyfan
that sounds good to me
that combo is more suited to metal styles

BTW what is BTBAM?

Between the Buried and Me, and yeah, I checked out a few vids of the pickups being played, they sounded great.
Quote by bizcuits212
Between the Buried and Me, and yeah, I checked out a few vids of the pickups being played, they sounded great.

did you get the wiring diagrams with it?

btw post a NGD when you get,ok?
Quote by archenemyfan
did you get the wiring diagrams with it?

btw post a NGD when you get,ok?

Yep, it was attached to the email , and will do when I get.