So a friend of mine just got the 100watt head version of the line6 bogner tube spider, and i was just wondering peoples opinion on this amp. Basically hows the effects loop, does it take pedals well. The sounds you can get out of it, both live and practice, even recording this amp. Worth the money? Versatility?
hmm, i would save up for a proper tube amp, like a Marshall. I suppose this has the same amp modeling focus as other Line 6 amps - you will soon grow out of it, if you haven't already. You should pick an amp that suits your specific tone. Get into Marshalls - they've been the best amps for 50 years for good reason! Yes I know, it depends on style, but name a more influential make of amplifier in popular music. That's right, you can't. Anyway, that's beside the point - I would set yourself a budget and look for an amp within that budget taht is made for your particular style, and not worry about modeling amps.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
They're actually good amps. The new series is all tube, unlike the previous ones that were a hybrid. From what I can tell they do take pedals well but with tons of stuff on board, it doesn't need much external stuff. While it's all tube, it still is a modeling amp so you may not get exactly what specific pedal has to offer. Not to say it's bad, it just has a purpose. They are versatile and seemed to me that you could get a lot of different sounds out of it...and it wasn't difficult. Try your buddies if you're thinking about one. They really aren't bad amps.

Like the other guy mentioned, a straight up tube amp isn't a bad idea. But me, I'm not at all a Marshall guy and there are tons of amps out there to choose from. Lots of big names aside from Marshall like Peavey, Fender, Krank, Kustom, Mesa, and so on. Try them out when you can, it's the best way. Hell you may find the Line 6 is what you want. Just try as many as you can...money isn't easy to come by so don't piss it away and "settle" on something temporary.
Quote by seemeel
hmm, i would save up for a proper tube amp, like a Marshall. Get into Marshalls - they've been the best amps for 50 years for good reason! Yes I know, it depends on style, but name a more influential make of amplifier in popular music. That's right, you can't.

Quote by seemeel
Anyway, that's beside the point - I would set yourself a budget and look for an amp within that budget taht is made for your particular style, and not worry about modeling amps.

This is (a bit) better advice. Providing a budget and tone-goal will help us help you a bit more. As for the amp, the Spider Valve isn't anything to write home about, but it if you're looking for something that will cover a lot of bases decently well it's not a bad choice (and can be modded for better sound). The built in effects are pretty lame, but it should take most effects just fine (boosts I'm not sure about though)
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by celticstorm84
Lots of big names aside from Marshall like Peavey, Fender, Krank, Kustom, Mesa, and so on. Try them out when you can, it's the best way. Hell you may find the Line 6 is what you want. Just try as many as you can...money isn't easy to come by so don't piss it away and "settle" on something temporary.

Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by celticstorm84
They're actually good amps. The new series is all tube, unlike the previous ones that were a hybrid.

A computerised modelling preamp and you can it all tube ???
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by seemeel
but name a more influential make of amplifier in popular music.

I'll one up you, I'll name a single more influential amp

Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier

Quote by celticstorm84
They're actually good amps. The new series is all tube, unlike the previous ones that were a hybrid.

Eh? The Spider Valve combines a digital modelling preamp with a t00b power section, effectively making it a hybrid amp. It's never been all tube.

Quote by celticstorm84
From what I can tell they do take pedals well

Have you tried pedals through that thing? For some reason, it just doesn't play well with pedals. Pedals makes it sound even more processed.

Quote by celticstorm84
They are versatile and seemed to me that you could get a lot of different sounds out of it...and it wasn't difficult. Try your buddies if you're thinking about one. They really aren't bad amps.

On their own, they are very versatile and really aren't bad amps, but if you want that tube sound and tube dynamics, the Spider Valve really doesn't cut it at all.

Quote by celticstorm84
Marshall like Peavey, Fender, Krank, Kustom, Mesa

you put Mesa in the same line as Kustom O.o

Quote by mmdude22
So a friend of mine just got the 100watt head version of the line6 bogner tube spider, and i was just wondering peoples opinion on this amp. Basically hows the effects loop, does it take pedals well. The sounds you can get out of it, both live and practice, even recording this amp. Worth the money? Versatility?

Having owned one I can tell you that the SVs are pretty versatile amps and if you like a tube amp that's capable of a variety of sounds, they are well worth the money. However if you a REAL tube sound, the Spider Valve isn't gonna cut it. Its great for tweakers, or players who like a guitar -> amp set up but still want some versatility.

However, if you like high gain, i'd recommend looking at the Peavey Vypyer Tube 60... or save up more and get a Vetta (which is far better than the SV)
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jun 25, 2010,
I'd say that one could do a LOT worse than a Tube Spider, even in the Tube Series of amplifiers as a whole. You realy have t be a Tone/Gearhead to get by however. The pre sets are loud as the devil, noting is really dialed in out of the box, and you have to gt a bachelors degree in buttonology just to get the thing up and running.

Still, you could do a lot worse. I like them, not enough to own one, but enough to like them. They lack a lot of tonal dynamics that Tube Purists are after, and thats al thanks to the Pre Amp, but hey, if you want tube power with UBER Flexibility - There really isnt anything in the Tube Amp Arena that can hang with the Tube Spiders. IMHO. and in my Humble Usage.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
One of the guitarists I'm subscribed to on Youtube uses the 212 combo of this amp (he upgraded to it from his shitty 30W solid state Spider), and he plays a plethora of genres, from pop punk (Blink 182, Paramore, etc.) all the way to modern metal (Disturbed, Bullet For My Valentine, etc.). (Hell, one time he even used it in a video of his band doing a jazz session). Bottom line, if you want versatility (despite the fact it's not even in the same ballpark as a REAL tube amp), the Spider Valve will get the job done (also, I've played one myself, so that further backs my statements on it).

If you do end up getting one though, you'd be better off getting the FBV Shortboard footcontroller to control the onboard effects and switch between clean/dirty, as modeling amps generally don't take pedals well (and this is coming from a guy who's been getting away with using a cheap distortion pedal into one of the clean channels on a 15W Peavey Vypyr. I only do that for songs that switch between clean and dirty though- most of the time I use the distortion on the amp).
Quote by Kikuta
Sell your Valvestate to brainless 17 year old for mighty sums of dollars. Purchase a JMP for a pittance from a desperate seller. Masturbate to pictures of yourself and your new, real Marshall. Eternal glory awaits.

Last edited by rocknrolldude43 at Jun 25, 2010,
To set the record straight, the Spider Valve DOES in fact have a tube in the preamp. It has two 12AX7's (one is a phase inverter).

Nevertheless, IMHO, the Vetta II is actually a much better amp and it has no tubes at all.
Quote by CECamps
To set the record straight, the Spider Valve DOES in fact have a tube in the preamp. It has two 12AX7's (one is a phase inverter).

Of course though, a tube or two in the preamp does not an all tube amp make. Hell, I won't even call my JCM900 all tube because of the tubescreamer-like circuitry jammed in front so you can understand my reaction to calling A Spider Valve all tube. Compared to a Spider Valve a JCM900 is a friggin JTM45.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Basically, you can do a lot worse than a Spider valve, they're not completly awful.
But there are far better amps out there.

Never heard effects in the loop, but if it's anything like the regular Spiders, it'll sound awfull.

How can a modelling amp be all tube? Duh.

Marshalls arn't all that these days, they're not bad, but again, there are FAR better amps out there.

Also there are plenty of amps that are just as influencial as Marshalls.

The 'advice' that some people give is ridiculous!
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by Cathbard
Of course though, a tube or two in the preamp does not an all tube amp make. Hell, I won't even call my JCM900 all tube because of the tubescreamer-like circuitry jammed in front so you can understand my reaction to calling A Spider Valve all tube. Compared to a Spider Valve a JCM900 is a friggin JTM45.

Oh, definitely not calling it all-tube. I was just trying to clear up the fact that it does actually have tubes other than output tubes. Some here have given misinformation about the amp, and whether anyone loves it, hates it, or is indifferent about it, there still should be accurate info.

But yeah, when your signal comes into the amp and the first thing it sees is a solid state buffer followed by an A/D converter where it's then processed in the digital domain and passed back through a D/A converter before it sees a tube, that's hardly all-tube. I'm with you.

For the record, I'm not saying that this kind of signal path is bad, just speaking to the semantics of "all-tube" vs. "hybrid."
Tbh i really like em. Very versatile for the money, more than good enough sounding for recording and the stage at a reasonable price. and you can pick up stupid bargains on them used.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Quote by mmdude22

I think Reinhold Bogner decided he could make money without actually doing much work if he slapped his name on some line6 amps. I don't doubt he designed the power section, but I also know it has nothing to do with the real deal.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
aren't the Bogner Alchemists like the same price? I've heard they aren't anything special either, but I'd rather have that than the Spider Valve...
Quote by Tedward
aren't the Bogner Alchemists like the same price? I've heard they aren't anything special either, but I'd rather have that than the Spider Valve...

They cater to a specific sound... if you like its inherent sound, you should like the amp as a whole. If you don't... well there's not much room for versatility in the amp.

Oh, also forgot to mention. Never stick a boost in front of the SV... you'll be boosting a digital modelling preamp, and causing it to clip.. which sounds absolutely horrible.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Oh, also forgot to mention. Never stick a boost in front of the SV... you'll be boosting a digital modelling preamp, and causing it to clip.. which sounds absolutely horrible.

I don't know about that. The Vetta and dirt pedals can take boosts, so I don't know why the SV wouldn't be able to. It won't sound as good as slamming a JTM or Deluxe Reverb with one, but it should work alright
Board:
Quote by mmdude22

Steal your friend's amp. Ok, not literally, but let him know you're interested and see if you can spend some time with it.

I've had the 2x12 combo for 2 weeks. The effects are good, you'll get all the basic ones you need, plus you can tweak the parameters which is something you can't really do in the Mark I. What I'm really loving is the ability to use the Pitch Glide to up/down tune my guitar.

I only gave it a little time with my POD X3 functioning as a pedal board, which it took the effects quite well. I tried using the POD amp modeling into a clean channel with knobs at noon, and it just sounded like crap compared to the built in models. IMHO, the clean channels were modeled much better than the distortion channels which are a little sterile, but still usable.

It's definitely versatile, probably the best modeler there is. But that being said, it's still a modeler. If you have only a few main genres of music that you play, you can probably find a better sounding amp made specifically for your style. It's like, do you want 16 good tones, or 2-3 great tones? My taste in music is much wider than my budget, so it works good for me.
Quote by Tedward

I LOOOOOVE my alchemist even tho i might sell it one day for a carvin V3 or if i save up for a marshall jcm 800
Eh.
Quote by IsThereLoveInSp
I don't know about that. The Vetta and dirt pedals can take boosts, so I don't know why the SV wouldn't be able to. It won't sound as good as slamming a JTM or Deluxe Reverb with one, but it should work alright

I know because I've owned one and tried boosting it before... it's one of the worst sounding tones you can ever get. Boosted, it sounds worse than a Spider III (Ok, maybe not entirely that bad, but pretty close).

Not all modellers are made the same. The Spider Valve's signal chain works best with a guitar -> amp signal.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
there are better amps for the money usually. style? budget? etc...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.