Hey, everyone. I've been playing guitar, seriously, for a little while now, but I've never sat down and learned an entire song. I know a lot of parts from a lot of songs, just nothings complete. So I was wondering.. is there any certain way I should learn a whole song, or just sit down and work my way through it from beginning to end?

-Alm
Learn the structure of the song so you can just remember "Intro verse chorus..." etc rather than some kind of note by note mental picture.

Work on the transitions between riffs and not just the riffs.
Ahh, that makes some sense.. do you have any suggestions on easier metal songs to get me started?
I usually break it down into sections, like intro, verse, ect... ect... i find that its much easier to learn small parts then put it all together when i have a good feel for all the parts. if its a cover tune you pretty much want to learn it not for note but if your just learning it for practice you can take liberties with some sections and add your own flavor.
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
basically any metallica song there all ez

but a specific song would be, Madhouse by Anthrax its easily structured fun to play
So like.. Learn the intro. Learn the verses. Learn the chorus. etc, etc.. Then just put it all together? Sounds easy enough
Quote by Alm3ga
Ahh, that makes some sense.. do you have any suggestions on easier metal songs to get me started?

Pick one you like you think you can learn.

If you don't know - For Whom The Bell Tolls, by Tallica.
Quote by Alm3ga
So like.. Learn the intro. Learn the verses. Learn the chorus. etc, etc.. Then just put it all together? Sounds easy enough

thats what works for me personally.....but play with it see what works best for you. I break it down like that because i get bored alot and tend to wonder off and start doin my own thing when i practice.
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
You could learn All nightmare long from Metallica. It's a rather easy song, nice structure, and a not-that-hard-not-that-easy solo. Overall, a nice, angry and fun song to play.
Quote by adyhendrixc
Is it necessary for me to drink my own urine? No, but its sterile and I like the taste.
I don't know many guitarists who know whole songs- mostly just tid-bits because their primary focus is working on originals. Unless you're in a cover band or your band wants a few covers under their belts, then I wouldn't worry about it.

I stick with basic covers- nothing too complex and just work my way from beginning to end. Some times I work on a section a day depending on the song and I drill it into memory. Then I practice along with the song over and over until I'm satisfied.
imo it's important to learn whole songs, even if you write, or plan on writing, you own stuff. By playing a whole song start-to-finish you'll become a much better musician than if you just learn a bunch of riffs.

It's easy to learn your fave riff off a song and then convince yourself you can play it well, but the test is being able to play the riff in the context of the whole song, cleanly and without making mistakes. It's also very satisfying.
Ibanez AF105VB
Ibanez RG2550Z
MIM '92 Fender Strat
Peavey Triumph 60
MXR-108.
and that's it. done buying stuff. probably.
Living after midnight- judas priest...it kicks ass and it's simple, even the solo.
There's just the main riff, a chugging rhythm and a pretty easy solo
http://www.youtube.com/user/heavymetal1110
My youtube channel

Epiphone Korina explorer, Fender MIM Strat, Ibanez GSA60, Ibanez AEG25
The amp: Bugera 1990
Pedals: Ibanez Tubescreamer,wylde od, wylde wah, Tc electronic g major,
Enter sandman,

The whole song fits together easily and you'll notice that the verse and etc is the same as other parts and will help, it helped me.

i can never really learn a whole song in one go, i normally learn half or 75% and then end up learning 75% of another song, then go back t othe first one i was learning and finish it off.
Quote by finetune
imo it's important to learn whole songs, even if you write, or plan on writing, you own stuff. By playing a whole song start-to-finish you'll become a much better musician than if you just learn a bunch of riffs.

It's easy to learn your fave riff off a song and then convince yourself you can play it well, but the test is being able to play the riff in the context of the whole song, cleanly and without making mistakes. It's also very satisfying.

Couldn't agree with you more. Studying and learning how other people wrote full songs helped me so much.
Check out jayninevideolessons.wordpress.com
Online Video Guitar lessons, ebooks, and so on. This above blog is how you may contact me for more information, or email me at jayninelessons@gmail.com
Can anyone post a good article from here about how to determine which parts of songs are which? Or maybe an example tab with it put into sections? I may sound noobish, but I don't really know how to separate parts of songs well into groups.