Every guitar I have had the strings are always so tight. I must be stringing them wrong or something. I have to tune down to DGCFAD for it to be even slightly loose. I have a Dean VMNT which is a pretty damn good guitar so I'm not sure what it could be. I've seen other people tune in standard and bend the string really high. I use super slinkys too.
scale length?
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
There's only one answer I'm afraid...man up!

You can't "string wrong" - if the notes right then the string is going to be at whatever tension it needs to be to play that note, regardless of how you've strung it ar any aspect of your setup.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
No, your problems is the amount of spring you rotate in the tuning peg (located in the headstock). More amount of spring you rotate, the bigger the angle between the tuning peg and the nut will be, thus it will be harder to bend, but the sustain will be really good. Just restring your guitar, and add less string to rotate in the tuning peg, and you should be fine.
Quote by Baraga
No, your problems is the amount of spring you rotate in the tuning peg (located in the headstock). More amount of spring you rotate, the bigger the angle between the tuning peg and the nut will be, thus it will be harder to bend, but the sustain will be really good. Just restring your guitar, and add less string to rotate in the tuning peg, and you should be fine.

I'd say this would be your problem. I too, at first have a hard time playing with my own restringed guitar, it seems that I have overwound. Try to restring it the way above, and you'll have a softer string tension
Quote by phlowtron23
I'd say this would be your problem. I too, at first have a hard time playing with my own restringed guitar, it seems that I have overwound. Try to restring it the way above, and you'll have a softer string tension

You'll ideally want about 3 or 4 wraps around the post. The less u wind, the more tuning instability you'll have.

But i really didn't know this effect string tension... Learn summin everyday.

Toodles!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
If you get too "manly" with the guitar?

So if I get too "womanly" what happens? Does the whole neck snap in half?

Yes. That is exactly what happens. I have snapped many guitar necks in the same fashion.
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
Did you ease the tensioners on the tuners first? Tighten them later when you are about in tune.
Did you check your tuning device is set right? Mine can be set to any level of sharp & flat plus setting the basic A pitch (440)
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
So if I get too "womanly" what happens?

You'll suddenly gain a lot of boyfriends.
Quote by Tinderwet
You'll suddenly gain a lot of boyfriends.

I have yet to see this. *sigh*
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
Get a pack of 11s or 10s and man up. Then you can go back to 9s and instantly become marty friedman.
dude. if your using 9s there is no excuse. if you had 12-13s on a 25.5 scale ok.

you just need to learn the limitations. strings should be able to do a 2 step bend without breaking. thats pretty big though. if you have quality pats (ie - nothing to cause breakage) then you should be fine.

and you need to strengthen your fingers. 9s are not tight. not untill you try playing 11s 12 or god forbid 13s. SRv had sasquatch hands. i doubt i could solo at all with 13s on a strat. that is crazy.

i play 10 heavy bottoms on a paul. buddy plays 11 on a strat (25.5 scale so more tension) and it DEFINITELY makes a difference just one guage of string. but 9 is pretty much the lightest. i mean there are 8s....but you play those and you probably wil break strings. too thin.

i mean, the larger teh string the stronger they are. i recently broke high E with 9s on a 24.5 scale guitar. cause with 24.5, the tension is so low with 9s you bend it so far it just snaps. they feel like air. i moved to 10s. they are loose, but have the strength to fight a big bend well.
Quote by offthewall91
I have yet to see this. *sigh*

Don't underestimate your woman-power.