So I played my acoustic last night and it was fine, and when I woke up this morning the D string was snapped. Nothing could have gotten to it and it was fine the night before. Is it possible/normal for them to snap by themselves?
How is the temperature where you're storing your guitar? Drastic changes can cause the neck to expand and contract.

Are the strings fairly new or have you had them on there for a while? I find older strings weaken especially at the bridge some times and I have had a few snap- though only when I'm in the middle of playing.
Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
How is the temperature where you're storing your guitar? Drastic changes can cause the neck to expand and contract.

Are the strings fairly new or have you had them on there for a while? I find older strings weaken especially at the bridge some times and I have had a few snap- though only when I'm in the middle of playing.

I think they're fairly old, they haven't been changed in a while. And the temperature is pretty constant I think, its just in my room and the only temperature change is the heating coming on, which is only a few degrees warmer than my room.

I understand them snapping while I'm playing, it just seemed odd to snap by itself
Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
Yes I don't hear that happening too often. Not all strings are perfect either- it could just be a weak string. You should definitely change them though. How long have they been on and how often do you play?

I honestly don't remember. I don't play acoustic much so I'm lazy with changing the strings. :/
If they're pretty old strings, it's possible. Strings do get rusty over time.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.