When I play live with my fender jaguar, sometimes the high e string slips off the fretboard and bridge if i bend it too much/strum too hard. I know I shouldn't hit the strings so hard but it's just what I do. Is there any way to prevent this from happening?

When it happens it gets stuck under the pickups so it takes about 15 seconds to fix it - not very good when you're in the middle of a solo.

I think it's the picking hand that is causing it.
It might be a string tree problem, or the nut may be worn and it's slipping off because the nut isn't high enough.

It happened to me and I had to replace the string tree and nut.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Bend up instead of down.
Dimebag used to put tape on the edge of his pickups to keep the string from hanging up there.
I do bend up - sorry it's not when I bend. It's simply when i hit the string too hard with the picking hand. What do you mean he used tape? To stop the string getting caught under the pickup?
Quote by druggietoad2k5
It might be a string tree problem, or the nut may be worn and it's slipping off because the nut isn't high enough.

It happened to me and I had to replace the string tree and nut.

I'll have a look at the nut when I get home and see if it's worn at all. If it is a string tree problem how is that fixed?
Well, in my case I didn't have them so I had to fit them, but otherwise it probably isn't that. It's more likely to be the nut that is worn.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

its defo a nut problem bottom side of high E worn down & rounded off.
string tree fix.. change to a new set. dont cost much.
ebay "papa D's" or CH guitars
around £2 each